New stuff, new methods, new music (6/3)

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

[PA] NotUncleDave

New stuff, new methods, new music (6/3)

Post by [PA] NotUncleDave »

okay, i've been... out of action? for over a month now, which is a little embarrassing... i won't bore you all with the details, but i can say that i now have

1) good health
2) new, un-bricked laptop with juice to spare
3) Reason 4.0 (despite my better judgement, i know how to use Reason so i'm sticking with it)

i'm currently attempting to recover what i can from my on-the-blink old harp-hating old laptop (it involves tilting it and praying the HD doesn't stop running while i backup some [censored]) and i will be actually finishing what i started :o

a lot of the restrictions i had with the old laptop and outdated software are now gone, so hopefully the drake piece should sound a bit better with decent samples, proper reverb right from the get-go, but i'm under no illusions as to the amount of work it needs.

New stuff- a fledgeling piece that needs input.

Click here to listen!

I need advice and opinions on how the main 2-minute concept is sounding (it's in a better state than the drake piece ever was, imo). It took me less than a week to get this far, because things are a LOT easier with Reason 4. There's also a harp/violin duet arrangement I'm hoping to work in somewhere, it's 16 bars long and repeats- I want to know which sounds better, first or second. The second has a more distinct, deliberate lower part in the harp, but the first is more in keeping with the rest of the piece.

I know balance isn't right, and the production isn't ideal, but that doesn't mean pointing things out is a bad idea- seriously, have at it. I'm not going to let this one get away.
Last edited by [PA] NotUncleDave on April 6th, 2008, 5:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

I like it! Reminds me of Eragon. One thing though,it doesn't sound tribal enough.Other than that, it's nice.
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

[PA] NotUncleDave

dammit, blueblaze, you dangle that harp font under my nose, and all the links are dead...
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Bah sorry, I haven't checked the link in awhile :/
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

FireMaster wrote:I like it! Reminds me of Eragon. One thing though,it doesn't sound tribal enough.Other than that, it's nice.
Tribal? Umm... I don't think we want to go there. Then it will sound too much like a Northerner's Theme.

I really like what you have so far.

The intro theme was great. also loved the second part at 0:33
the chimes at 0:44 sounded like an odd choice to me and it started to get worse afterwards.

for atmosphere, I'd rather the song makes you feel like your looking at a drake soar through the air and then it's coming for you and you're SCARED of this impressive beast! You acheived the first part, but I don't sense any fear or imminent danger in the song, though.

disclaimer: I am not a musician
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Trying to make a Drake-ish theme.

Post by West »

[PA] NotUncleDave wrote:-getting a damn harp soundset, i mean it's practically tradition in wesnoth music, and i don't have one. =/ (link plz)
I have the celtic harp, though I must admit that it's a bit to "plonky" for use in an orchestral setting. It doesn't have that big, rich sound of a real orchestral harp. But if you want it I can upload a copy to my site and PM you a link. Be warned though: it's a big file (~250MB).

I also have a couple of other free harps, for example the one I'm using in this piece. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up a couple of links.
miekka

Post by miekka »

That's great music, but somewhat intensive compared to most Wesnoth tracks. I think you realized that, though.
[PA] NotUncleDave

Re: Trying to make a Drake-ish theme.

West wrote:
[PA] NotUncleDave wrote:-getting a damn harp soundset, i mean it's practically tradition in wesnoth music, and i don't have one. =/ (link plz)
I have the celtic harp, though I must admit that it's a bit to "plonky" for use in an orchestral setting. It doesn't have that big, rich sound of a real orchestral harp. But if you want it I can upload a copy to my site and PM you a link. Be warned though: it's a big file (~250MB).

I also have a couple of other free harps, for example the one I'm using in this piece. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up a couple of links.
I am. :P
Sapient wrote:I really like what you have so far.

The intro theme was great. also loved the second part at 0:33
the chimes at 0:44 sounded like an odd choice to me and it started to get worse afterwards.

for atmosphere, I'd rather the song makes you feel like your looking at a drake soar through the air and then it's coming for you and you're SCARED of this impressive beast! You acheived the first part, but I don't sense any fear or imminent danger in the song, though.

disclaimer: I am not a musician
as far as i know, not only musicians play this game :wink:

i'm not sure i wanted the piece to be outright frightening, intimidating sure, but not frightening. drakes are pretty noble creatures, and i wouldn't think there's any reason to be afraid unless you've gone out of your way to anger them. i think just maintaining a sense of high tension for most of the piece would be preferable to turning the mood less positive, but i could be wrong- i've added some more negative-sounding stuff in there as contrast, though, and hopefully when the second draft is done you'll like the turn it takes.

the last section is a bit naff on its own, it's supposed to have a harp playing over it, which is why i need the sample set. :P

chimes removed, they *did* sound goofy, was just trying them out.
miekka wrote:That's great music, but somewhat intensive compared to most Wesnoth tracks. I think you realized that, though.
i did. unless there's a sense of general disagreement with the direction, i'm keeping the intensity level high in most parts. you don't have to be polite- if you don't think it fits, go ahead and shout out
FireMaster wrote:I like it! Reminds me of Eragon. One thing though,it doesn't sound tribal enough.Other than that, it's nice.

i don't want it to sound too "tribal", though- drakes are more feudal, and organised, than your average orc.

i'll have a second, extended draft up by the end of this weekend, with much more material in. go ahead and fire off more suggestions, though- i know i can't please everybody, but i'll give it a shot
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sounds promising!
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

Really cool. I second Sapient on how you've managed to convey the power and nobility of the drakes. The beginning of it reminded me of a few tracks from Soul Calibur.

I think your "Marcato strings" section (0:33) would be more suited for woodwinds (is it already?). Maybe a flute or clarinet may work.

The section that starts around 1:06 could use some brass. I think it would add a little bit of an intimidation factor in. Also, some more reverb on the percussion would be nice, especially on the outro (1:37).

I dunno how my suggestions will affect the piece, but those are what come to mind, anyway. I love the atmosphere that you've already created, though. Keep up the good work!

P.S. I don't really know if a harp would be appropriate...
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Hm, I noticed that I was running a bit low on disk space on my site so I uploaded the harps to rapdishare instead. Get 'em while they're hot.

Celtic Harp

The Sound Exchange Harp

Sonido Harp

Harp Glisses

These files are in soundfont format and are packed with Sfpack. Hopefully you're on Windows...
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Rocket Slug wrote:P.S. I don't really know if a harp would be appropriate...
OF COURSE A HARP WOULD BE APPROPRIATE

Drakes LOVE harps!
Attachments
drake-harpist_831.png
drake-harpist_831.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

oh, I just now noticed that you posted an updated version.

As you said it is a "work in progress" but it seems to have taken a step backwards in my ears.

The transitions do seem really abrupt (as you noted) and the voices... can't put my finger on it but something sounds wrong with the voices there. Maybe someone else could describe it more accurately.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."