A Nation Betrayed - 0.2

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

A Nation Betrayed - 0.2

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I made another multiplayer scenario. This one is a 2v2 team game.

It's on the add-ons server for 1.3

One team plays the loyalists defending against an ai-controlled orcish army. The other team plays the insurgents who have siezed the opportunity to launch a rebellion against the king.

By the way, this is my attempt to make a quick and easy map that doesn't take 4+ hours to play. :)

There are a number of special features - but they're pretty straight forward once you get going.

Here are the in-game instructions:
GOLD & INCOME

- Every village has its own village fund which increases by 1g each turn.
- Players must send a unit into a village to collect the village fund.
- Only the Orc armies receive income from villages normally.
- An Orc entering a village has no effect on villages funds.
- All villages heal units and provide upkeep as usual.

VILLAGES & LOYALTY

- Every village has its own loyalty rating which decreases by 1% each turn.
- A village with 100% loyalty is fully in support of the king, whereas 0% means it supports the rebels.
- Players can boost or lower this rating by sending units to the village.
- At every increment of 10% new options become available in villages.
- An Orc entering a village has no effect on village loyalty.

REBEL OPTIONS

Loot Village (0-100%)
Adds village fund to rebel stockpile, increases village loyalty by 2%

Spread Dissent (10-50%)
Decreases village loyalty by 2%

Start Riot (50-70%)
Decreases village loyalty by 8%

Martyrdom (70-100%)
Unit's death decreases village loyalty by 15%

Recruit Rebel (0-30%)
Creates a free ruffian

Recruit Rebel (0-60%)
A woodsman joins your cause for 8g

Bribe the Townwatch (0-40%)
A Sergeant joins your cause for 18g

Printing Press (0-20%)
Pay 10g to decrease loyalty of all villages by 2%

Training Camp (0-10%)
The unit can learn the ambush ability

Plot a Revolt (0%)
Creates a free Ruffian in any village

LOYALIST OPTIONS

Collect taxes (20-100%)
Adds village fund to loyalist treasury

Purge the rebels (0-50%)
Increases village loyalty by 10%

Hold a festival (50-100%)
Pay 2g to increase loyalty by 5%

Exploitation (60-100%)
Village produces an extra 2g this turn, -2% loyalty

Visit local healer (70-100%)
Restores 20 hitpoints

Raise a militia (80-100%)
A peasant joins your army

Send Diplomatic Envoy (90-100%)
Pay 5g to increase the loyalty of any village by 7%
I don't know if it is balanced at all. Some might say the rebels have a hard time of it, since they can only use ruffians for the most part. But the idea is that they eventually build up strength through numbers.

Please report bugs, tell me what needs to change and whether it is fun.
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on November 5th, 2007, 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I haven't tried it yet, but this idea is awesome! 8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I agree that is a great idea I want to try it too. One idea though orcs controling villages ought to decrease loyalty, it is after all the kings job to protect his vassle people from raiders in return for fealty. It would make sense to me if the orcs automaticaly raided the villages by capturing them. If you need a mod for more players I'd make the orcs a playable faction.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Velensk wrote:make the orcs a playable faction.
N3T!
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
grrr

ANL bugriding

Post by grrr »

The scenario is won for the Loyalists when they kill the orcish souvereigns. This can be exploited in several ways.

Lure the leader
Krimzon came up with that idea: since souvereigns have a ranged weapon, they are willing to leave their castle if there are units to attack without retail. For loyalists in this scenario, it includes cavalry, horsemen and HI. It is possible by constantly placing these kind of units into the range of the rulers to finally get them to the center area or even into very bad terrain. In both cases, the isolated leader is an easy kill.

We tried to counter this strategy with rebels to no avail, thus leaving loyalists win the scenario before turn 10.

Kill the leader
Assuming the former bug was fixed and the souvereigns stay in their keep, the loyalists can recruit 2 armies with 9 units each (turn 2, with tax collecting), enough to instantly go for the leader kills. While rebels could move their units near the souvereigns and try to prevent an easy kill it would leave their villages unprotected. Loyalists can then change their goal and occupy the rebel villages.

Going south/north
A failsafe variant of "Kill the leader" is to decide for either north or south and migrate to one side, conquering the souvereign's keep. At turn 10 at the latest, nearly one half of the map will be rebel- and northie-free. The collected xp makes it easy for loyalists to level 1 or 2 units, allowing reconquering of the center.
Last edited by grrr on November 6th, 2007, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Having played around with it for a little bit with myself I have a few comments most of what I said in the previouse post is based on a couple misconceptions I had incuding that the orcs fought the rebles as well as the loyalists.

-The loyalists victory conditon needs some fixing so that it is not dependant on the AI as was noted in the previouse post this is exploitable.
-It seems the olny way the rebles could get enough firepower to do anything to the loyalists is if they are left alone long enough to get a sargent and a sizeable number of ruffians +some woodsmen (I undersand this is probably intended). However this takes time and give a loyalist player who sets of to capture part of the board very little trouble early which makes him harder to overpower later.
-I would make it so that orcs decrease loyalty of villages they walk through.
-I think that it makes sense though not gameplay sense that rebles looting the village ought to me more than a 2 point penalty.
-The second time I played it I tried this thing where as the loyalist player I raised the loyalty in the inner villages whenever I could till I could create millita and use the healer and I pretty much let myself (as the rebels) run ramapant on the outermost villages (I maintained the ones to the left and right and right around the castle), so that when the time came and I accualy had enough rebles to attack, it was hard because the loyalists had their own milita army and healers combined with the average low firepower of the rebles made the attack difficult.
-At a certain point it is very hard to get the village down to the loyalty that you need for the rebles nastiest abilities, because by that time in the game you need to recruit stuff or else the loyalist cavalry will be bearing down on you, plus the fact that looting the town slows you down
-I think that an alternate source of cash and/or xp might help things especialy for the rebles
-One way of giving the loaylists more trouble is if there were more orcs at the beguining.

EDIt: An idea for you, have the Loyalist vicotry based on a reble leader (who is not technicaly a leader and can't recruit), or rather two leaders one for each player. The leaders get teleport, this A allows for interesting stratagy/tactics, B allows for quick getaways. Should not be too hard to kill if caught but not easy to catch. For names of them I think maybe the Fox and the Hawk, or you could give them normal names. If you want you could add an extra option for leader responses though I don't know what they would be, maybe can lower loyalty quicker or recruit more unit types or something.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Sorry for the Double post: Bug report and Exploit report.

Bug, certain actions reduce loyalty to below 0 making the plot revolt option not available

Exploit it was during the day and I had a knight next to a low loyalty village I moved a ruffian onto the village and spawned another ruffian and attacked the knight with the first the first died (the knight could kill him in one blow with the lance) so he moved the second one on and did the same thing. Through the luck of the dice I was able to keep this up for awhile and I almost killed the night who was in bad condition before this, untill he finaly missed. I'm not sure that this is something that needs be fixed however I thought I would mention it.

If you did not read the edit for the last message I would appreciate if you did.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I was amused by your never-ending Ruffian tactic, but is it likely to occur that much? I could make capturing a village disallow attacking. Any views on that?

The other things are good ideas. Thinking them over. Thanks for looking for bugs and so on!
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on November 10th, 2007, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:I was amused by your endless never-ending Ruffian tactic, but is it likely to occur that much? I could make capturing a village disallow attacking. Any views on that?
I disagree with that. It could hurt the rebels, they can have units OTHER than ruffians who they might like to keep alive...