Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Organized Art Topic: Reload

Post by wayfarer »

OK actual still a day to go I will pull it together nevertheless.

The basic rules first:

This topic is just for fun and exchanging experiences. That means no flames no personal attacks, no snippy remarks about others work or I will make sure with all my, although limited, possibilities that you'll enjoy your further residence here.
Reasonable comments, critics are welcome still. It's not what you say, but how you say it. Not that I would expect this kind of stunt here it is just a friendly reminder to be sure.

First topic everyone loves drakes:
The reason for this is that I found a reasonable amount of motives of this guys on DA by another talented artist.
The quality of the pics is great.
And of course most important:
a) The guy is non humanoid so you won't stumble upon many anatomical flaws.
b) He's pretty solid so he should be easier too sketch.
c) The reference is good and colorless you can still decide in the process what color he should have.
d) Huge areas of one color. No textures and armor for the beginning.
e) he looks cute. (Kill me I also got weak moments)

Image The traveller
Image The story Teller
Image The painter
Image The Artist
Image The Fisher

I chhose them for the listed reasons. I will take the traveller myself and show with his example the steps. everyone is free to participate with any example posted here or another one if he links to a reasonable referenz. This means at least a sculpture, good drawing, or photo. Else I can't really say much about it.

More advanced spriters can try their hands on this ones though I wouldn't advice it the quality of the pics is low and I couldn't find better stuff yet.
female Necromancer
mermaid
dwarf
I've added them if someone really hates the other given examples and hasn't found something different either.

For some further nice Refs

look here

Games Workshop Lord of the Rings. No advertisement at all. The just have some good shots and halfway decent models. The other sections are also worth a look but note the stuff is copyrighted you can use it as reference but it can't be used for Wesnoth if it is a 1:1 copy. An Inspiration otherwise is a different matter .
Last edited by wayfarer on February 8th, 2008, 6:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

First round: Get the lines

I will lously stick to my own tutorial
So you can get an idea how it will work.

For the sprite I have chosen 100*100 pixels, not the usual 72*72 because you will really have troubles to get the sizes right. You can do it but be warned you might run out of space.

The first step is sketching out the lines for the sprite. The better you work here the less problems you'll have later. This is also the most difficult part to start with so take your time and if there are any problems post the stuff and discuss it.
I also laid some flats behind the lines to get a feeling how it will looks finished and how the areas look like.
The colors are all in different layers so I can still change the colors they are not final yet. They are just a visual help.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'll see what i can do tonight or tomorrow.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Okay, I decided to take the female necromancer, because 1) I don't like drakes 2) Undead are awesome 3) I wanted a bit of a challenge.

Anyway, I did the basic lines, and changed the sword a bit (too large for my taste), but otherwise kept it. Oh, and I also removed the skulls on the rock thing.

What sort of colors should I aim for? The robe stuff she is wearing will be dark purplish blueish, the jewelry gold, the skin rather pale, and the armor stuff silverish. The owl will be white, and her hair black. I also want to work in some more black, somehow.

BTW, what's that thing on her right shoulder? I want to figure out what color it should be. Also, I want to think of something less exposing for her breasts. Perhaps some sort of cloth would be best. The bone gripping at them is rather too revealing, as well as the kind of creepy where the cool stops and the freakiness begins.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The shoulder-thing looks like a big armour plate to me (which is odd as it's the only piece of armour on her, but meh), and i think the colours are entirely up to you.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Yep free color choice for example the drake won't stay green.

I would carve the sword bit more and the cape on the feed has two layers.
You add them later with the shading but it is better to sketch it out.

I'll post something later to show what I mean. I have no tools yet.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Outline. I didn't add every little detail in black, as I figure some of that will be handled during the color/shading process?

Maybe a bit on the large side too, but it fits within the given 100x100. Probably wouldn't fit a Wesnoth hex though but this is a practice workshop so I might as well use the space given.
Attachments
dragonproj.png
dragonproj.png (1.26 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Hm, starting with outlines on a sprite-sized image seems... hard :)

Not sure this is good enough to continue but I don't have more time.
Attachments
This is coil! :P
This is coil! :P
painter_line.png (990 Bytes) Viewed 5537 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Ah, a spriting exercise. I'll just watch - would have had more fun drawing them in an alternate pose.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Kestenvarn wrote:Ah, a spriting exercise. I'll just watch - would have had more fun drawing them in an alternate pose.
wayfarer wrote:
everyone is free to participate with any example posted here or another one if he links to a reasonable referenz. This means at least a sculpture, good drawing, or photo. Else I can't really say much about it.
Rhuvaen wrote:Hm, starting with outlines on a sprite-sized image seems... hard :)

Not sure this is good enough to continue but I don't have more time.
Completly OK. I will slowly update so everyone can catch up. The lines are a help the better you do them the easier it is later. Actual a good first try.

Master Stilgar wrote:Outline. I didn't add every little detail in black, as I figure some of that will be handled during the color/shading process?

Maybe a bit on the large side too, but it fits within the given 100x100. Probably wouldn't fit a Wesnoth hex though but this is a practice workshop so I might as well use the space given.
Exactly shrinking is not the problem getting the sprite is more difficult.
I would have made the body more pear-shaped else also quite good. The details get more pronounced in the shading process it just makes it easier if you sketch it out.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I don't know if this is considered too detailed. I couldn't tell if the shape and everything looked right without it.

[EDIT] Realised I wasn't quite happy with the shape of the mouth and ear...
Attachments
Organised Art Topic - Stage 1 v2.png
Organised Art Topic - Stage 1 v2.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Urs:
Quite good catched
I still would advise that you lay different colors behind the image to get a feeling how the areas work together I did the same before I made the edit.
I would also advice the same for the other it helps immensly.

Master Stilgar, Rhuvaen:
Also good the lineworks just helps to fill the color areas later the will get overdrawn and or completely removed.
Also you can't do that much wrong with the lines are just a help to get the whole shape right. The sprite is quite big and in the coloring prozess many thinks can get erased or smoothed out.
irrevenant wrote:I don't know if this is considered too detailed. I couldn't tell if the shape and everything looked right without it.

[EDIT] Realised I wasn't quite happy with the shape of the mouth and ear...
Looks good, better too much details than too less. The line work is just a framework. later it will be removed anyways. It just makes the process easier.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Starting later on.

EDIT: first stage lines attached.
Attachments
Art Workshop.png
Art Workshop.png (795 Bytes) Viewed 5408 times
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Like so?
The black lines are getting in the way of things a bit. But oh well.

Thanks for the edit and feedback waydow. I think I got what you mean with the two layers of the cape.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

ehh, my horrible attempt T_T
Attachments
dragon-artist.png
dragon-artist.png (1.75 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well