Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.99) for Wesnoth 1.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I hate when I count wrong, but I somehow uploaded version 0.1.2 when I wanted 0.1.1. Ah well.

Bad news: it is a broken release with the heals+4, heals+8 and cures ability due to some changes in svn trunk that I'm in charge of. As the changes have not even been commited to svn, no matter what you do, except modifying the culprit WML in my campaign, it will continue to be broken. I would have deleted it right away, but my university's firewall doesn't allow me to do so.

Good news: however, it might still be an interesting experience for people who don't mind unstable releases (i.e. people who do follow the svn updates, but have enough time to play), because the following changes were done since 0.1.0:

* Death Squire imported from wesnoth-liberty, ported for svn trunk, and wired to be an alternate unit advancement for regular undead L1 Skeleton. It can advance to Death Knight later.
* Alania underwent some heavy changes in her dressing. Deprecated Sorceress sprite imported from Jetryl's artwork page, and some specific unit code added.
* Skeleton Rider and Bone Knight are now available for the player to recruit after scenario 3.
* Elvish Hunter is available for recruiting since scenario 1. Can advance to Elvish Trapper (L2), and Elvish Prowler (L3), though it is important to note that the latter's artwork AND code has not been done yet.
* Elvish Guard L2 added as alternate advancement for Elvish Fighter.

And some balancing changes on scenario 2, 3 and 10. Scenarios 9 and 1 are scheduled for removal and remaking.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Mwahahahaha! Back from the dead!

Alright, joke's over.

Version 0.1.10 published. So what's new? I'll make a list and publish it here as soon as I finish.

* time passes *

Alright, here it is:
- De-applied on-going changes on svn by Shadow Master et al for 1.3.8 compatibility.
- Updated ALL units for 1.3.10 compatibility. No WML deprecation messages from my campaign. If you happen to find one, be sure to write it down exactly as it appears in stdout.txt/stderr.txt and post it here so that I can figure out what the cause is. Remember that I am developer now, huh? :)
- Ditch Analia sprites
- Wrote missing Elvish Prowler unit for the Hunter line (it is L3, but uses the same graphics as L2, so beware; I'll be working on making new graphics for L3 soon).
- Death Squire-Death Knight line added as alternate advancement from Skeleton
- Elvish Hunter line added as alternate recruit
- Scenario 1 moved to scenario 2, shortened and enhanced, along with balancing. Note that old scenario 2 (Into the darkness) was removed, and the character dialogue was merged into scenario 3 (Horrors from the Depths).
- Balanced scenario 3
- Added, although still experimental and untested, "Life After Death" feature; your units will resurrect as undead after scenario 4 when killed in battle.
- Elynia sprite updates by Shadow Master
- EE unit updates by Noyga et al.
- Started removal of religious references in storyline.
- Added Skeleton Rider unit line.
- Checked scenarios for consistency with new recruits
- NOTE: Skeleton Rider line and Squire line are still not present in code for loyalification.

Big warning
Old saves are broken now, since the campaign symbol was renamed from CAMPAIGN_ARMAGEDDON to CAMPAIGN_UINVASION.

That's all so far. It has been on the 1.3.x campaign server for a hour or two. 1.3.8 recommended. SVN is better. ;) That is what happens when you play a campaign made by a developer.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
l'ultimo cruco

elves and undead

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Hi, there I just started to replay your campaign right from the beginning and noticed that you are able to recruit Undead right from the start. Is this intended or is this a bug? In case it is intended, maybe you should drop a line of explanation about it. Something like:

"Through the master of darkness (can't remeber his name: the "dark" compagnon of the lady of light) the elves learned to summon their dead, to come to their aid."
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Shadow Master wrote:- Updated ALL units for 1.3.10 compatibility.
a bit ahead of time, are you? i mean, what happened to 1.3.9 o_O?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Ouch. That happens when you have 10 text documents open at one ;)

Fixed it. Released 0.1.30 accidentally. I had some ongoing changes that broke scenario 8-Interlude to scenario 10, but they were unleashed with this small bugfix.

Syn_Err: people have complained on me via IRC about the WML deprecation messages, so I had to even when the code still works.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Published 0.1.33, with a fix to a typo in scenario 3's code that prevented the new secret path from opening for the player.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Ok played your campaign a bit on easy. The first scenario was pretty straight forward 2 castles full of recruits and charge. Free win I would add further desert patches around the enemy castles so it doesn't get so easy.
The second scenario general you can avoid any trouble and move the two heroes to the cave 2 castle full of recruits are enough the tactical challenge is a bit limited here, because you just run to the aim unhindered.
Perhaps adding the objectives to save some civilists to increase the challenge (the old lv2 Kalenz sprites might be fitting). Else it is just a slaughter and run.

On a side note you have TC some chaos units. If you could post them in the EE thread would really be appreciated. The shared work would save some time. :)
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I never thought it'd call the attention of a real artist, but well...
Shadow wrote:Ok played your campaign a bit on easy. The first scenario was pretty straight forward 2 castles full of recruits and charge. Free win I would add further desert patches around the enemy castles so it doesn't get so easy.
I'm afraid of people telling me later that it is too difficult. But well, I can try and revise the map.
The second scenario general you can avoid any trouble and move the two heroes to the cave 2 castle full of recruits are enough the tactical challenge is a bit limited here, because you just run to the aim unhindered.
Perhaps adding the objectives to save some civilists to increase the challenge (the old lv2 Kalenz sprites might be fitting). Else it is just a slaughter and run.
Um, good idea, reminds me of that I was going to install 1.0.2 again. :P But it sounds like a good idea, it might require some more testing by me that I don't think I'll be able to do until this weekend.
On a side note you have TC some chaos units. If you could post them in the EE thread would really be appreciated. The shared work would save some time. :)
The only reason because of which I haven't is because I honestly dislike the current state of my edits. I consider the edits too clumsy and unoriginal to even deserve a place in the campaign (so they are in the campaign only because I didn't have a better alternative at the moment). However, I plan to start biggerism and colour updates soon, and when that happens, I'll surely post them in the EE artwork thread.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

I do not think scenario 3 is balanced i was outnumbered 10 to 1.The elven level 1 magic is too weak to fight undead i was thinking of a elven mage with 2-2 staff and 9-4 elven blast.You should make glas an elven guard.
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Tom of wesnoth wrote:I do not think scenario 3 is balanced i was outnumbered 10 to 1.The elven level 1 magic is too weak to fight undead i was thinking of a elven mage with 2-2 staff and 9-4 elven blast.
I know that I should produce a custom Elvish Shaman which had an arcane damage type, rather than impact. But that is not the way I beat that scenario. I only used shamans for slowing skeletons, and fighters and archers for destroying them, which do their task nicely.

And YES, BIG LIZARD, if you are anywhere around, Elvish Archer's unit line DO very well against those jerks!
You should make glas an elven guard.
Give me reasons. Besides, if you wanted to, you could advance him to a better unit. He starts as a fighter on scenario 1, but to scenario 3 I had him leveled up to Elvish Captain, and to scenario 5, a Marshal. I really think you can level him up to Guard as you can do with other fighters, if you wanted to.

edit: by the way Tommy, 9-4 attacks would cause a serious unbalancing in favour of the player for a Level 1 unit.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I do like the work you made for the daemon line (and adding female variation here is nice) except i do prefer the original colors, they now look too human. It might work well for your campaign btw.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

Ok im rubbish at attack damage something like 7-3 maybe?
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

I spent a while playing on your scenario but the elvish guard needs some work on it.The hp is silly some level 3s have just 2 or 3 hp more!The picture for javelin in actuality a bow :lol:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Tom of wesnoth wrote:I spent a while playing on your scenario but the elvish guard needs some work on it.The hp is silly some level 3s have just 2 or 3 hp more!The picture for javelin in actuality a bow :lol:
Thanks, I'll fix it before releasing 0.1.34 today.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Published 0.1.34. Thanks tom for the spotted bug and some balancing ideas. Note that although the changelog says "bumped requirement 1.3.8 to 1.3.9", I did not add anything that would strictly require 1.3.9. Just use 1.3.8 or later.

Code: Select all

Version 0.1.34:

2007-10-12:
- Units:
	* Balancing
		+ Lowered Elvish Guard HP 54 to 48, Spear damage 9-3 to 8-3, Javelin damage 11-2 to 10-2
		+ Decreased Elvish Guard recruit cost 32 to 30
		+ Lowered Demon HP 36 to 31
		+ Lowered Demon Grunt HP 49 to 40, axe damage 6-4 to 7-3, fireball 8-3 to 7-3
		+ Lowered Demon Warrior HP 68 to 56, axe damage 8-5 to 9-4
		+ Lowered Winged Demon HP 45 to 42, claws damage 7-4 to 6-3, fireball 14-2 to 10-3, changed fireball's
		  weapon special from {WEAPON_SPECIAL_FIRSTSTRIKE} to {WEAPON_SPECIAL_MARKSMAN}, updated description
		  accordingly.
		+ Lowered Blood Imp claws damage 7-4 to 6-4, HP 50 to 44
		+ Lowered Chaos Hound fangs damage 6-2 to 5-2
		+ Lowered Demonic Hound fangs damage 7-3 to 6-3, HP 38 to 35
		+ Lowered Hell Hound HP 46 to 44, fangs damage 11-4 to 8-4

* Other
		+ Added new Dark Adept alternative advancement tree that uses the portraits at /image/portraits
		  and disables the Lich advancement option. Also, added Dark Adepts a 4-2 melee attack.
		+ Description for Elvish Guard
		+ Fixed Elvish Guard javelin attack icon (rep. by Tom of Wesnoth)
		+ Moved Dread_Bat from /units/undead to /units/bats, added stub WML /units/bats.cfg
		+ Orcs steppe WML stub at /units includes WML at /units/orcs-steppe again, thanks to Noyga for
		  EE updates on this matter.
		+ Moved away to save package space in campaign server:
			· /units/elves-desert.cfg, /units/elves-desert, boats.cfg
			· /images/units/elves-desert
			· Reason: unlikely to be ever used.

2007-10-11:
- Bump game version requirement from 1.3.8 to 1.3.9.
- Units:
	* Balancing
		+ Decreased arcane resistance: Elynia -10% to -20%
- Maps:
	* Map for scenario 12 added