Silver Mage-Upgrade

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Alpha

Silver Mage-Upgrade

Post by Alpha »

I was thinking about the Silver Mage, and I was thinking it would be really cool with an upgrade. Something like an Invisible Mage that doesn't do much damage, but is extremely hard to hit. Mabye like a 30% chance to hit no matter what the situation. It would probably only do as much damage as the Silver Mage (mabye less as it is hard to hit), but it would be able to teleport just like the Silver Mage.

Unfortunately, seeing as I have tried my hand at graphics and am no good, somebody else would have to do the graphics for it.
Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else! :)
Mad

Post by Mad »

I agree with the idea it would be pretty good to have a guy with such a high evasion but what sort of stats are we talking here. I am no good with graphics though so I was just wandering what the power of this unit would be.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

would this be a lvl 4 unit? There is already a lvl 4 mage; no more are needed.
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

Yes it would be a level 4 unit. I don't want to start a debate about how far units should go up in level, but I think seeing as the mage has so many branches, it should have a fourth level. Besides, the Invisble Mage (Change the name however you want but stay along those lines) will not be that powerful, it will more be for filling up your ranks and harassing the enemy. Unlike the Great Mage that does so much damage it's not funny.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

It'd be an interesting idea to let the silver mage level into a mage with multiple-land types "ambush", although ALL-terrain invisibility would be so powerfull that it'd make people cry :(
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Neoriceisgood wrote:It'd be an interesting idea to let the silver mage level into a mage with multiple-land types "ambush", although ALL-terrain invisibility would be so powerfull that it'd make people cry :(
It would be fun to have one that's only invisible on villages. :wink:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:It would be fun to have one that's only invisible on villages. :wink:
AFAIK that would still affect the AI; does it use process of elimination to find invisible units?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Dacyn wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:It would be fun to have one that's only invisible on villages. :wink:
AFAIK that would still affect the AI; does it use process of elimination to find invisible units?
Nope.

If there's an invisible unit, the AI really doesn't know it's there and doesn't take it into account at all.

And please, no-one say "the AI should be able to work out where invisible units are by using blah blah blah algorithm to deduce it, and such intelligent behavior would really improve the AI" unless you have experience writing AIs and are willing to implement such a feature in Wesnoth.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Shundread

Post by Shundread »

How about this. You pull a rather simple algorithm...

As soon as a unit becomes invisible, the AI has 100% chance to hack-determine it's position. After one round, its chance to hack-determine the invisible unit's location is reduced do something like 20% or 10%, according with its movement points. After that the AI doesn't care anymore.

Ugly and simple! =D

Of course, re-reading my suggestion makes me want to delete it and get drunk so I forget I ever had this idea. But, hey, it's an idea!

-Shundread
Elvish_Pillager

Dave wrote:
Dacyn wrote: AFAIK that would still affect the AI; does it use process of elimination to find invisible units?
Nope.

If there's an invisible unit, the AI really doesn't know it's there and doesn't take it into account at all.

And please, no-one say "the AI should be able to work out where invisible units are by using blah blah blah algorithm to deduce it, and such intelligent behavior would really improve the AI" unless you have experience writing AIs and are willing to implement such a feature in Wesnoth.

David
A system that is much simpler is that if the AI knows of no enemies, it systematically fills all terrain that could have hidden enemies on it.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

Stats-wise, I was thinking mabye:

Name: (Debatable)
Level:4
Cost:110
Race: Human
Abilities: Teleport, Elusive*
Alignment: Neutral
Moves:6
HP:54
Advanced from: Silver Mage

*Enemy units only have a 30% chance to hit no matter what terrain
Elvish_Pillager

Alpha wrote:Stats-wise, I was thinking mabye:

Name: (Debatable)
Level:4
Cost:110
Race: Human
Abilities: Teleport, Elusive*
Alignment: Neutral
Moves:6
HP:54
Advanced from: Silver Mage

*Enemy units only have a 30% chance to hit no matter what terrain
There's no point in Elusive. You can just change the unit's defense values.
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

Alright then, if you're so smart, you tell me what the stats are! :? Just joking! :wink: I still think the upgrade would be rather good. It would be good to have a unit that is very hard to hit. Being invisible in villages, I don't really care about that but it would be pretty cool too.