Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.99) for Wesnoth 1.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.99) for Wesnoth 1.4

Post by Iris »

Updates section

Last released version: 1.9.99 - available only on the 1.4 campaign server.

This development series of this campaign is outdated and no longer maintained. The campaign is now maintained for Wesnoth 1.6 only:
Last edited by Iris on January 22nd, 2008, 3:26 pm, edited 41 times in total.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Invasion from the Unknown / Armageddon (to upload soon)

Post by Blarumyrran »

mixture between RPG and FPS gameplay, keeping the Wesnoth style of course.
i dont imagine how would you make an FPS on wesnoth engine...

overall, it sounds REALLY similar to UtBS, youd better use some REALLY big plot twists to make some difference.
Last edited by Blarumyrran on October 16th, 2007, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Syntax_Error wrote:overall, it sounds REALLY similar to UtBS, youd better use some REALLY big plot twists to make some difference.
The story that I want to tell here is some melodramatic relation between a human and an elf, as a secondary thread, but the primary is the invasion of demons to the land where Wesnoth used to be. I'd like to know more details of what quartex (original author of UtBS) or whoever wrote the story plot, was thinking back then, but since that will not happen unless I'm blessed by Eloh, I'm making assumptions about how the story goes.

Spoilers start here.

The elves, after vanquishing Yanqui, parted ways. Some went to the middle south desert, loyal to their leaders (Tanuil or Tanuil's ancestor), and others decided to go to the eastern unknown lands, east from what in Wesnoth's era was known as the Northern Elves' forest. They coincidentally found, when starving to death, a cave system that led them to a valley where all that was no longer present in the rest of the land, such as flowers, trees, grass, was still there, protected by the border mountains of that valley, which they named in honor to their savior from the war against the Wesmere Elves.

So they stayed there, unknowing what happened to their relatives, the Quenoth Elves. For centuries and centuries they stayed in that peaceful valley, even after the Quenoth elves (again, without they being aware of that) colonized the Zochthanol Isle, after vanquishing Yechnagoth, which was supposed to be the source of the evil that took over the remaining humans, nagas, orcs and other specimens in sea and land.

However, in my plot, later we'll find out that it was the humans who opened a portal to the underworld (a.k.a. "hell") accidentally, unleashing unknown evil to the land of wesnoth, the first being Yechnagoth. One of the elvish saviors, which they thought were Eloh herself, was turned to evil by this power, initially acting as Yechnagoth's minion, later recovering his own will, although badly corrupted by evil.

Quenoth elves won't appear in this history except like a cameo, I think. Mal Keshar does have a supporting role since scenario 3, and Elynia should have a protagonic role around scenaria 12 or 13. I'm not sure yet, but it's highly probable that Analia or Galas... or both, die at that point.

Spoilers end here.

SynErr, when I said FPS and RPG gameplay elements* I meant gameplay elements. You've got to see it materialized to understand, and that is what I'm writing right now. Just wait and you'll see. I have no deadlines, but it should not take too long.

*: i.e. power-up items, healing items, mid-game "bosses", and other stuff - but they won't be used in a regular manner, just every 7 or 8 scenarios.
Last edited by Iris on October 16th, 2007, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

FPS=First Person Shooter, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense... perhaps you mean TBS + RPG...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I actually meant FPS as in "first-person-shooter genre". But as I said, it is not going to implement the gameplay, just recurrent elements of the genre. I'd say more RPG, but it's not a very familiar genre to me, not enough to call my creation RPG-ish. I'm not sure if the "boss" concept is FPS-specific, and it's actually, apart from the healing items, the only genre element that I'll implement in specific scenaria.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

error engine: unit of type Dread Bat not found!
error general: Error while playing the game: game_error: Unknown unit type 'Dread Bat'

typo somewhere?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

lu_zero wrote:error engine: unit of type Dread Bat not found!
error general: Error while playing the game: game_error: Unknown unit type 'Dread Bat'

typo somewhere?
Nope. I just forgot to include the contents of {./units/undead} in units.cfg. I wish I could just do a simple {./units} to quit worrying about making sure new units get recognized by the engine, but that seems not to work for me.

I'm uploading an update under the same version number to the campaign server right now. A simple bug was not a big-enough excuse to add a number to the version string. :wink:

Thanks for spotting it, by the way.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

the scenario 2 ends once you step away the castle with Analia
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It seems that I should have playtested. The problem was that I made some wrong assumptions on the changes made in WML engine for the 1.3.x branch, but I have just fixed them. Seems that I'll have to playtest quickly what I have done.

Anyway, I just uploaded again to the campaign server, fixed and playtested scenario 2. Tomorrow I'll have plenty of time to address all remaining bugs.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Shadow Master wrote:It seems that I should have playtested. The problem was that I made some wrong assumptions on the changes made in WML engine for the 1.3.x branch, but I have just fixed them. Seems that I'll have to playtest quickly what I have done.

Anyway, I just uploaded again to the campaign server, fixed and playtested scenario 2. Tomorrow I'll have plenty of time to address all remaining bugs.
same issue with scenario 3 the [or] tag...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Thanks. I think I addressed all the WML syntax issues for scenarios 01-04. Also fixed scenario 03 where the undead leader doesn't recruit anything. :o

Rewired scenario 04 victory to redirect you to scenario 07, it's only for concept testing. Remember this is work in progress. Although I have the story well-defined, I'm still testing WML tricks and such in action.

BTW, maps of scenarios 01 and 07 require Wesnoth 1.3.7+SVN or later, sorry about that. I'm too lazy to rollback before publishing the campaign. :(

Uploaded version 0.0.2.

EDIT: re uploaded to fit the changes in Elynia's sprite, even if she's not being actually used in-game. Also added guard enemies for scenario 3, which was lacking all of them. Note again that maps 1 and 7 use terrain added to mainline in svn trunk, so you should wait for a new release or get a svn snapshot to play those.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Please add at least 5 more rounds on slow movement scenarios. Assuming you have flying units is BAD
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I'm in the process of play testing them. I am not sure about the amount of turns, but I have added dirt terrain (and missing villages) for making it easier to get through the cave.

Also, added some extra non-loyal Level 2 units for scenario 1. They are basically cannon-fodder, but if you get to keep them alive you'll have a valuable support in later scenarios.

I am also considering to add a special "quickness" item so that the player can decide which one of the heroes should receive it, and increase the unit's maximum movement 2 points. Apart from other small details that I realized last night by play-testing.

Summary: I'll publish a new version this afternoon, hopefully solving the movement points issues and other minor ones I noticed.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

My Linux install crashed mysteriously, so I had to reinstall the whole system. Fortunately this time I had my data in a separate, dedicated /home partition, also in the form of symlinks to my pendrive. So no data loss. :)

It just delayed me a bit, and I don't have time to continue play testing untill getting back home, where i don't have internet connection, so I uploaded an update under the same version number to the campaign server. You should play scenario 1 again if you want to get some supporter units.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

still they need some more time...