Standing and idle animations?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Jetryl wrote:Redeth - looks nice, actually. Please post the PNGs - I think that baby's commit-worthy. :)
Should I work on the female version as well? I could make some minor modifications to differentiate it, like changing the color of the bag/pouch to pink :lol:
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Redeth wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Redeth - looks nice, actually. Please post the PNGs - I think that baby's commit-worthy. :)
Should I work on the female version as well? I could make some minor modifications to differentiate it,
Please do.
Redeth wrote:like changing the color of the bag/pouch to pink :lol:
Please don't. :lol:
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Ok it´s done, packed and ready to go. 8)

Correct sequence included. It´s a little tricky so extra care must be taken when committing these.
Attachments
thief+female-idling.gif
thief+female-idling.gif (5.67 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
Thieves-Idle.zip
(27.67 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Qes

Post by Qes »

Redeth wrote: like changing the color of the bag/pouch to pink :lol:
Did you know that pink was origionally supposed to be the baby boys color? And light blue was supposed to be the baby girls?

Traditionally men were associated with heat, anger, machismo, and fire of burning passions, etc. Men were red-hot tempered and energetic.

Therefore little boys would be "light red" or pink.

Girls were associated with placidity and gentleness. Calm and cool. Women were docile and passive, essentially and thusly associated with sky blue.
Little girls were then "light blue"

When ordering baby blankets to color code the deliveries at I dont know which hospital, the nurses accidently reversed the order and put baby boys in blue and baby girls in pink quite by mistake and accident.

The tradition stuck regardless - and thus the color association was born, despite it being completely off.

-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Redeth wrote:Ok it´s done, packed and ready to go. 8)

Correct sequence included. It´s a little tricky so extra care must be taken when committing these.
asking just to be sure... is she scratching her ass? (i understand that thieves live in filthy environment, no wonder they catch fleas) or is she taking something out of her pocket? in that case, i hope you make it more visible.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Qes wrote:Did you know that [...] and thus the color association was born, despite it being completely off.
Yup, there are many good reasons to associate pink with women, but it´s true that it all comes down to a series of cultural and historical conventions.
Syntax_Error wrote:asking just to be sure... is she scratching her ass? (i understand that thieves live in filthy environment, no wonder they catch fleas) or is she taking something out of her pocket? in that case, i hope you make it more visible.
I think the pouch is big enough to be recognized as such. Making it bigger would look too silly and cartoonish for my taste.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Redeth wrote:I think the pouch is big enough to be recognized as such. Making it bigger would look too silly and cartoonish for my taste.
I don't think so, because I sure don't see any pouch, only a hand.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Master Stilgar wrote:I don't think so, because I sure don't see any pouch, only a hand.
Then you´re free to make and edit to "thief_idle_6.png" and "thief+female_idle_6.png" and post the results, I´m done with it.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Redeth wrote:Then you´re free to make and edit to "thief_idle_6.png" and "thief+female_idle_6.png" and post the results, I´m done with it.
Well, I'll rise to your challenge and take a crack at it then, though I don't claim to be good at spriting or anything. This is a quick edit, I'd probably want to add a few more frames where the thief bounces the bag a little, and maybe make the bag a different color than the clothes, but I'll see what response this gets first.
Attachments
Mama too.
Mama too.
thief+female_idle_6_with-bag.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
Papa's got a brand new bag.
Papa's got a brand new bag.
thief_idle_6_with-bag.png (1.94 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Master Stilgar wrote:This is a quick edit, I'd probably want to add a few more frames where the thief bounces the bag a little, and maybe make the bag a different color than the clothes, but I'll see what response this gets first.
Good, that´s all I ask for, a little less talking and a little more working. I really appreciate your effort, though I´m convinced the change was for the worse. He seems to be showing some kind of fruit instead of a bag of gold. With more polishing it could be used as a variation of the same animation, though. You know, the thief stole so many things that he doesn´t even know what the heck he´s got in his pockets anymore. :lol:

I realize now why you failed to see the bag. You expected it to be on his hand, when it´s actually just being held tightly near its top opening. You don´t see almost any part of his hand in that frame, it´s just the bag. The color scheme might be the issue.

Anyway, here´s the resulting animation using your edited .png first, my original version below, and a huge silly bag in the last one to make it obvious.

Yeah, I said I was done with it, but when people actually do something to improve things it encourages me to keep on working. Not surprisingly, useless talk has the exact opposite effect. :augh:
Attachments
thief-idling-huge-bag.gif
thief-idling-huge-bag.gif (6.4 KiB) Viewed 5056 times
thief-idling.gif
thief-idling.gif (5.52 KiB) Viewed 5056 times
thief-idling-stilgar.gif
thief-idling-stilgar.gif (5.52 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
Erk
Art Contributor

Post by Erk »

Redeth wrote:I realize now why you failed to see the bag. You expected it to be on his hand, when it´s actually just being held tightly near its top opening. You don´t see almost any part of his hand in that frame, it´s just the bag. The color scheme might be the issue.
I think it's the colour scheme... I am looking and looking at your first animation and I just can't see a bag, even when I stop and open it in the Gimp.
Redeth wrote:Yeah, I said I was done with it, but when people actually do something to improve things it encourages me to keep on working. Not surprisingly, useless talk has the exact opposite effect. :augh:
Isn't that kind of a hazard for an artist? It makes constructive criticism impossible from anyone but another artist, usually one with some skill.
Warning: I am not reliable.
Qes

Post by Qes »

To the untrained and casual eye (which is all that'll ever see an idle animation) it does look like ass scratching.

Perhaps he could hold it up to the light for a better look like "what is this ive got in my pocket?" Or if he moved between hands and then put it back. Something that elongates the pace between retreival form satchel, and replacement into satchel that tells us what's going on.

My two non-artistic cents,
-Qes

EDIT: I should note that ass-scratching as is, isnt a bad idea for an idle animation anyway.
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Redeth: Post the PNGs - I've got a (simple) improvement in mind, and I think it could be final, so I'd rather do it to the png images than a gif.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

You mean the .PNGs with the huge bag? There ya go.
Erk wrote:
Redeth wrote:Yeah, I said I was done with it, but when people actually do something to improve things it encourages me to keep on working. Not surprisingly, useless talk has the exact opposite effect. :augh:
Isn't that kind of a hazard for an artist? It makes constructive criticism impossible from anyone but another artist, usually one with some skill.
My point is, if you´re not willing to help make it any better, then shut it.

("You" in general terms, not you as "Erk")
Attachments
thieves-idle-6-frames.zip
(4.46 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Query

Post by Query »

Redeth wrote:My point is, if you´re not willing to help make it any better, then shut it.
That isn't a very constructive attitude.