The Archive of HODOR

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

The Archive of HODOR

Post by Doc Paterson »

In the beginning, Hodor said, "Let there be Hodor...."

This will be an archive of Hodor matches. All forms of Hodor are allowed, be it

Strict Hodorism (Only outlaws, all dialogue from the Hodor player must be "Hodor," all units must be renamed "Hodor."),

Casual Hodorism (Only outlaws, any sort of dialogue allowed, units may keep their names.),

King Hodor Thunderdome Hodorism (only outlaws, Yeti added to recruit list, but may only be recruited after enemy leader is surrounded by Hodorians and all other enemy units have been killed),

Big Family Hodorism (only outlaws, thugs added to recruit list),

AnimeKid Hodorism (recruit only Thieves and have a Rogue leader),

Young David Hodorism (recruit only Footpads)

Robin Hodorism (recruit only Poachers and have a Trapper leader)

Operation: H.O.D.O.R. (An elite Special Forces strike team deploys to a game with noobish settings (wildly unbalanced map, 30-50 exp., loads of gold, etc.) and neutralizes the enemy with their turn one recruit only. This is particularly fun with AOH, as you can recruit one of each L2 Hodorian and one L1 Hodorian. The Assassin leads.)

or 2v2, 3v3, 1v1v1, etc. Hodorism and all subdivisions thereof. The only overriding requirements of this last are that all allies of a Hodor team must also be Hodor.

I have a load of Hodor matches that I'll add some time in the near future, and I know that there are plenty of players out there who enjoy Hodor and could probably make some great contributions.

Last edited by Doc Paterson on August 31st, 2007, 2:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Speed-kill Hodor matches are also encouraged, and will be applauded regardless of the skill level of the opponent.

The fastest Hodorian kill I've gotten was a turn 4 kill (occured yesterday-I'll post it in a bit), and yes, the opponent's playstyle was a great help in the orchestration of his end. :)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Would HODOR style northerners count? only recruiting goblins and wolf-riding goblins?
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Weeksy wrote:Would HODOR style northerners count? only recruiting goblins and wolf-riding goblins?
Certainly not. Hodor does not abide non-outlaws.
without your noses.
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

Heh, so the turn9 deadline has been passed and set to an almost
unreachable 4 :wink:, congrats DP.
Nevertheless I hearby post the following two matches
(Category : Casual Hodorism)

Maybe there's no big educational use of those two and no record is set,
still they might be some candy to watch, others will follow sometime.

Addionally I have to admit that I'm still learning to play them and it's really overwhelming.

[ btw: these are no header-files, just wesnoth 1.2.5 saves,
upload demanded an ending and imho a zip requires work
to unzip while this one can just be put to saves folder. :wink:
- correct me if I'm wrong ]

best regards, leocrotta
Attachments
MLake_-_HODOR_vs_miggir(E).h
The name says it all... (thought it could be a record)
(21.57 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
Charge_-_HODOR_vs_awaw(D).h
The name says it all... (I liked the ending)
(24.02 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

I searched through my archives of replays for my Hodor matches to contribute here. Unfortunately the 1.3.x ones weren't compatible with 1.3.6. Thus all replays attached to this post are for 1.2.x.

I started playing a Strict Hodorism (but due to my ignorance of the rules named my leader "Leader of Hodor" in the first two matches). However, after quite many people had quitted when I responded to all of their chat with "HODOR", I switched to Casual Hodorism.
Fastest match of those is a turn 7 kill in the strict archive iirc.

Now I'm not sure whether lost Hodor matches fit in this archieve. I sometimes play too risky :oops: and really managed to lose one of my Hodor games :shock: . I'll attach this game as a separate one.
Attachments
Strict_Hodorism.zip
three examples of (almost) Strict Hodorism
(23.1 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
Casual_Hodorism.zip
seven examples of Casual Hodorism
(60.64 KiB) Downloaded 732 times
Charge_ezysquire_vs_dravos.zip
the lost one :( (strict)
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 713 times
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Alright, I'm going to ask the completely uncool question, thereby showing my ignorance of nerd cultural reference and proving once and for all that I don't belong to the eclectic circle of MP master-of-the-art-strategists, those who are in-the-know. :P

Brace yourselves... now!

WTF is HODOR?!?

P.S. you can PM me the answer if you think it would be too... uh, disgraceful, tactless, or dangerous to the minds of small children to post it here out in the open. :wink:
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

Quite an amount of matches, Duthlet :o

I got three other matches I'd like to share. The first two are vs Undead.
The 1st one is a mixture of King Hodor Thunderdome Hodorism and AnimeKid Hodorism, unfortunately my opponent didn't have the patience to await the king coming up :(
The 2nd one uses Robin Hodorism. - Quote (opponent) : "Are you Robin Hood ?" - yes, I try to be :P
The 3rd one shows a single defeat vs khiM, who played well enough to especially avoid most backstabbing action. Additionally wasn't positive about my game-play
although I had a chance to kill his leader at some time. (oh how I missed ulfs...)
I wonder if you can call it epic since we played >30turns. All in all this one was the one I most enjoyed even if it was the
first defeat :lol:.

Have fun watching and

best regards, leocrotta
Attachments
matches.zip
(34.07 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

Rhuvaen wrote:WTF is HODOR?!?
Doc Paterson wrote:All forms of Hodor are allowed, be it Strict Hodorism (Only outlaws, all dialogue from the Hodor player must be "Hodor," all units must be renamed "Hodor."), Casual Hodorism (Only outlaws, any sort of dialogue allowed, units may keep their names.), King Hodor Thunderdome Hodorism (only outlaws, Yeti added to recruit list, but may only be recruited after enemy leader is surrounded by Hodorians and all other enemy units have been killed), Big Family Hodorism (only outlaws, thugs added to recruit list), AnimeKid Hodorism (recruit only Thieves and have a Rogue leader), Young David Hodorism (recruit only Footpads) Robin Hodorism (recruit only Poachers and have a Trapper leader) and 2v2, 3v3, 1v1v1, etc. Hodorism and all subdivisions thereof. The only overriding requirements of this last are that all allies of a Hodor team must also be Hodor.
There is no disgrace big enough to come up to such a question :twisted:
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Shouldn't it be more like...
In the beginning, Hodor said, "Hodor...."
:?:

Unless I am greatly mistaken - Hodor.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Kestenvarn wrote:
Shouldn't it be more like...
In the beginning, Hodor said, "Hodor...."
This is the literal translation of the above,yes. "Let there be Hodor" is an approximation of Hodor's intent, more readily comprehensible to the human mind.
without your noses.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

And to think, HODOR used to be something special....now it's like the back of a children's cereal box.

:roll:
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Here's the 4 turn-kill. As you can see, this game was not as much about skill as it was about my randomly drawing a clueless opponent. My only real part of this was lure maintenance/positioning.

Here it is; a true gift from Hodor.

http://star.walagata.com/w/paterson/1v1 ... _4turnkill

This one demonstrates the explosiveness of Team Hodor. Turn 6 or 7 blows the game wide open, and convinces the opponent to disconnect.

http://star.walagata.com/w/paterson/1v1 ... rson_Hodor

For true fans of Hodor, you can continue watching to see the very tedious "Parade of Hodor," accompanied by some Hodorian lore, circa turns 24-28.

Some of my more classic Hodor matches are buried in the archive, including the first ever King Hodor Thunderdome match (against Dyvim, I think). Not sure which of those will still play.

No matter- The best Hodor matches are yet to come.....

:D
without your noses.
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

And to think, HODOR used to be something special....now it's like the back of a children's cereal box.
Every coin has its other side, so the disadvantage of possible abuse is counterbalanced by a central marketplace for submitting the "hodoric" experiences. Yet, it will remain special imo.

best regards, lecrotta
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

You were braver than I to ask. :P Based on Doc's description, I assumed it was just some sort of in-joke among the veteran players/devs. And now people are posting games... krickey!