Dov's MP Pack - Now with Shops Era

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dovolente

Dov's MP Pack - Now with Shops Era

Post by Dovolente »

Dov's MP Pack is a content pack available on the add-on servers.

The most recent version for Wesnoth 1.10 includes these maps:
  • Orocia - A cooperative 3-player cooperative survival map, inspired by Nosmos's 3-player survival and much-modded since it appeared in 1.4.
  • The Deep Shrine - Another 3-player cooperative survival map, the 'dark side' of Orocia with more of (but not much of) a storyline.
  • Cutthroat Survival - A 3-way free-for-all with some occasional NPC spawns to liven things up.
  • Elf Chess - A 2-player game mod based on chess. Each player starts with 16 units, and gets 2 moves and 2 attacks per turn. The king has only 1 hp, and must be defended at all costs.
  • Rumble3D - A 6-player rumble-style map with 3 separate levels interreachable via teleportation runes.
The Wesnoth 1.10 version also includes these game mods (played via era selection):
  • Shops Era Mod - Keeps work as shops. Potions, armor, weapons, and magical artifacts can be purchased. Different weapons and artifacts are available in each game. XP can also be converted to gold at the shop. Available for default and heroes MP factions.
  • Drops Era Mod - Slain enemies will sometimes drop weapons. Weapon power depends on a combination of the slain enemy's strength, the game turn (later is better), and luck. Available for default and heroes MP factions.
  • XP Era Mod - Spend XP to upgrade a unit's hp, damage, or strikes. Available for default and heroes MP factions.
  • Settlers Era Mod - A resource collection and management mod. The map begins by removing constructed terrain, so the play is on "virgin" land. You begin with a leader and 3 peasants. Peasants collect resources and build new structures, and your leader can recruit new units. There is also a 'survival' version to help make survival map play more possible.
The game mods are accessed via the "era" selection box and work with standard MP maps and most user-made maps.

Check the end of the thread for the latest developments. :)
Last edited by Dovolente on June 20th, 2012, 2:36 am, edited 22 times in total.
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

These are all now on the add-on server, with a few others, in Dov_MP_Maps.
Look for the whip!

Orocio was updated to fix some turn mislabeling and a little bit of spawn balance. Latest version is .3
Nosmos

Post by Nosmos »

i like the orocio idea but the way it is now its easy to abuse
just put a healer on the temple, 6 ghosts around it and wait for the enemies
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hey Dovolente, as promised I checked out your Mp survival map Orocio. I think the map has a lot of potential.

But, it is too easy.

I have a few ideas to help you make the map be the best possible challenge.

1. You have 3 spawn points. Instead of having the same 3 spawns, mix them up with different ToD factions. For example: Instead of having peasants spawn in 3 parts of the map...let peasants spawn in one part of the map...gobo's in 1 part, and WC's in one part. and each following spawn do the same...where you have 3 unique spawns, instead of 3 mirrored spawns.

2) reduce the power bonus of the center. It's way too awesome...esp. after 10 turns or so. make the center +1 ATT and +2 Max HP, and make the 6 surrounding hexes +1 Max HP (FOR EXAMPLE)

I'm very excited at the possiblity of this map....but it needs some work.

Here's a replay. This is our 2nd attempt.
Attachments
@3p_-_Orocia_Turn_51.zip
(52.14 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Also, there was no victory message, and the beginning instructions did not explain how the shrine area worked. We had to figure it out through trial and error.

cheers,
jb
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
book

Post by book »

I love the 3p cut-throat, but I think it would be better if the spawns in a section didn't stop when the leader who starts there dies. As it stands, if a player can relocate into a dead player's castle, he'll have a nice secure base without spawns popping up in the middle, only having to secure the borders and face about half of one set of spawns, where his remaining opponent will have to face 1.5 spawns - I guess if you want to turn the game into a life-or-death clash over ownership of the vacated region once one player dies, that's okay, but it radically changes the nature of the game.
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

For Orocia, I've put an udpate on the add-ons server with healing altars per others playtesters' suggestions, as there was no way without healer units to heal troops away from the front line. Also I've detailed the shrine bonuses in a starting message (and give floating text indicators when they are received). The later waves are now a little more frequent and difficult, too, and there are some healing altars 2 hexes from the shrine (next to the inner castle walls).

For the next version of Orocia, I plan to mix up the spawns a little more as you suggested, and decrease the shrine bonus (or perhaps randomize it to either 2 hp, 1 damage, 1 move, or a 10% to a resistance). And I still need to fix the victory automation.

For the next version of Cutthroat, I'll set spawns to stay on after leaders die. :)
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I enjoyed today's game on Cutthroat a lot, even though I'm not a typical fan of 1v1v1. After the game, it strikes me that the map design is quite good for 1v1v1, and that the spawn idea evens out some of the problems of typical 1v1v1 - the more territory you have, the more spawns will attack you.

This was pretty good, I'm looking forward to try the others! :wink:
Jami

Post by Jami »

A great set of maps, definatly worth checking out.
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Thanks Jami. :)

The next version of the map pack will be released in the next couple of days. One new map I'll be including is "Alliance Chess".

Trying to hybridize Wesnoth and chess play isn't easy, and this is just one take on it. There could certainly be other approaches. Anyway, some features:

-The light and dark sides are represented by units from the Alliance of Light and Alliance of Dark eras.
-The faction chosen at the start of play doesn't matter. The gameboard is set up the same way every time, with units named as chess pieces. :)
-Captured (killed) units are moved to the side of the board (map).
-Players can move twice and attack twice each turn. I experimented with more and less, and this seemed to capture a chess feel sufficiently but still allow for more coordinated strategy.
-The King unit has 1 hp, so requires careful protection.
-To simulate castling, the King starts with 8 moves, but after it has moved the first time, has only 1 move thereafter.

I'd welcome comments on the balance between the two sides, and the gameplay in general (and yeah, those skirmisher pawns are the obvious rush strategy, and castling easily prevents it.) :)
Attachments
2p_Alliance_Chess.cfg
for 1.2.5
put in userdata/data/campaigns to play
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 716 times
Last edited by Dovolente on July 27th, 2007, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

Dovolente I havent played your maps yet but I watched a few times the cuthtroat version.

Very nice addition IMO to the 1vs 1 vs 1 area. Personally I would prefer a little bit stronger spawns but the concept is very nice.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Since a while we started gathering statistics on the MP servers. One is what maps are being played. As it turns out there are (several?) maps with no id= like the 3p Orocio map in your map pack. Would be nice if you can give it an id= and maybe make them all consistent (like Dov_MP_...), that would ease the post processing of the gathered data. Currently it looks like that map of yours is quite popular, it'd be difficult to make sure without an id though. :)
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Soliton wrote:Would be nice if you can give it an id= and maybe make them all consistent (like Dov_MP_...), that would ease the post processing of the gathered data.
Done, thanks. :) I've put the updated pack on the server.
I wonder if those stats are made generally available?

** Version .3 Update **

So, along with fixing the ids:
  • Removed standard play maps (Flipside, Chill, Serpentwall, Marquis, Isar's Star). I want to focus the pack on quirky nonstandard types. If anyone wants one of the removed maps, let me know and I'll post it here.
  • Added: Telemort. A 4-player map that requires teleportation at monoliths to reach different sections of the map. Different sounds clue players into which areas being teleported to/from. There are some interesting strategical choices involving how many units you send out to the village-rich center regions, and how many you keep to defend or attack the enemy leaders with.
  • Added: Alliance Chess and Elf Chess. Alliance Chess is described in a post above, and was modified slightly after many test games and comments. Berserkers were changed to Knights (the actual Knights), and the river and villages were removed. Elf Chess is much like Alliance Chess, but the two sides have the same elven/wose units (so unit balancing is much less of an issue), and the map is slightly adjusted to be more sylvan. :)
  • Modified: Orocia- lots of changes. Map enlargened and adjusted, survival time reduced to 40 turns, shrine bonus varied, healing altars changed to villages, spawns continue after a leader dies.
  • Modified: Cutthroat - spawns continue after a leader dies. They end at turn 40, with *only* 2 yetis :)
For the next versions of Orocia and Cutthroat, I'm thinking of adding some stat labels in the corners with things such as kills/loss ratios. With cutthroat, perhaps info on side vs. side attacks to see how the 1v1v1 is flowing. I'm a big stats fan, but not sure if anyone else would want that sort of thing displayed on the map.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Dovolente wrote:
Soliton wrote:Would be nice if you can give it an id= and maybe make them all consistent (like Dov_MP_...), that would ease the post processing of the gathered data.
Done, thanks. :) I've put the updated pack on the server.
I wonder if those stats are made generally available?
http://wesnoth.yi.org/wesnoth/
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

:oops: Silly question. Where can I find the maps for 1.36 Dovolente?

I cant find them on the download for extensions.