List of abandoned campaigns?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

This wraps up our current list:

Elves and Wose - whitewizard decided to do a complete overhaul in April 2006, and last updated May 2006. PMed asking about status.

Heiress to the Throne - Original thread gone, but rusty posted on a related thread on March 2006. PMed asking about status.

Civil War - Seems to be maintained by Mu and Flamma, last updated April 2006. PMed about status.

Northern Expedition, Collect the Source, Dragon Slayer, Thiefs Guild - Could not locate threads.

No Need For Heroes - Apparently not abandoned, last update on April 20th 2007.

Deaspair and Decay - Heard from Ken Oh in thread.

Note: Heist v1.1.1 was uploaded to the 1.3.x server yesterday, so it appears that genosuke is resuming maintainence.
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

From a PM:
rusty wrote: It was an experiment, and it's been obsoleted. I intend to do a new Heiress, but it'll be different, and it'd be quite confusing to have two.
At this point I am willing to drop Heiress to the Throne. It is nothing more than a gender-reversed Heir to the Throne as far as I can tell, and so I do not think it would be adding much to Wesnoth to revive it. Plus, if rusty does indeed create a new Heiress, that would add confusion on top of it. Thoughts?
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

WizardMagus wrote:Note: Heist v1.1.1 was uploaded to the 1.3.x server yesterday, so it appears that genosuke is resuming maintainence.
Spoke with genosuke - he is updating all of his campaigns to work with 1.3.x, and then wishes to find a new maintainer going forward.

Ken Oh wishes to finish his campaign, but would like help updating the current files to 1.3.x, and would like a maintainer going forward after he finishes.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

About Elf Wars

Post by Mythological »

I had a talk with mkgego via PMs and we agreed that I maintain Elf War from now on ( and possibly finish Elf War II )
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

WizardMagus wrote:
WizardMagus wrote:Note: Heist v1.1.1 was uploaded to the 1.3.x server yesterday, so it appears that genosuke is resuming maintainence.
Spoke with genosuke - he is updating all of his campaigns to work with 1.3.x, and then wishes to find a new maintainer going forward.
Ah, good news. :)
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Snarius (edited) wrote: Abandoned stuff
  • MP Capture the Flag
    Path of Summoner MP era
    Superheroes MP Era
    The Heist
    Werewolves
    Wild Elves
    Wizard Wars MP era
Snarius out.
I'm working on fixing these that you listed, superheroes can be found at this part of the website... http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=updated by me.

with instructions
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
tashi

Back

Post by tashi »

After a long time down due to relationship reasons, I now have a new computer and a internet connection again. So hopefully I will start pulling things together again.

Will need to start checking my notes just to see where things were left off.
WizardMagus

Re: Back

Post by WizardMagus »

tashi wrote:After a long time down due to relationship reasons, I now have a new computer and a internet connection again. So hopefully I will start pulling things together again.

Will need to start checking my notes just to see where things were left off.
I also apologize for my absence. I assure you that I have not entirely disappeared, nor has my conscience let me forget about this project. Unfortunately I got derailed with a big move, a new job, actually playing Wesnoth, and a little game called Dwarf Fortress... I definitely want to get this project back on track.

Tashi, check your e-mail inbox, you will find yourself caught up to speed.

The next step really is to create the sticky. Mythological, we should work something out soon.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

It's good to see that the two of you did not disappear. And sure, I'll start the mentioned thread. One question though - what are we going to do with the files of the abandoned campaigns - attach them to the posts in the thread ( some of them are too big and they will have to be attached in parts ) , upload them somewhere, or just say "contact the three of us to get the files if you are interested in taking over an abandoned campaign" ?
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
tashi

Post by tashi »

What is the size limit? I am sure the ones less then 1 meg could be connected to the messages but I am not sure. But you are right there are a couple bigger then one meg.

It may be keeping them until someone asks kind of thing.
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

Note that the most recent versions for many of these campaigns are available on the 1.0.x server, which anyone with Wesnoth can access. I think those do not necessarily need to be posted to the forums, but I will defer to your judgement.

As for the files we obtained more recent copies of, they are definitely too large to upload. If someone else has a website and would not mind hosting (we are not talking big volumes here), I think that is the best way. Having them contact us for the files also works, but that obviously relies on us seeing the message and responding.
tashi

Post by tashi »

I like the idea of pointing to the 1.0.x server for copies of the files.

That brings up a curiosity question. Just how long do they plan on keeping that site up.

Not sure I want to ask. : )
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For what it's worth, I'll be the first to admit I'm not very WML skilled, but I respect the fact that all of you have put so much effort into saving and fixing these campaigns, I've been following this thread for a while. So I'd like to do my part as potentially a tester, writer, and essentially anything that would make it easier for any of you to develop and finish these campaigns.

I know that's rather vague, but more than willing to help in whatever way I can, and pm me or leave something here if you'd like my help. I have plenty of free time to devote to this pursuit.
tashi

Post by tashi »

Turuk wrote:So I'd like to do my part as potentially a tester, writer, and essentially anything that would make it easier for any of you to develop and finish these campaigns.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. There is one thing that would be helpful by anyone who wants to help. And that is checking these old campaigns and seeing they work with the 1.2.x series.

Are they playable,
are they playable but somethings aren't working right.
Are they broken and wont run.
Do they seem Finished for the most part
or are they in major construction (missing or place holder scenarios, etc)

Then a description, like how many scenarios, what is the basic story line, etc.

To do this you need three things:

Campaign file to check (obviously)
7zip or some similar program to unpackage the campaign
Know how to add the campaign manually to your Wesnoth userdata section instead of by the add-on button.[/list]
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I would be more than happy to do so, but I just need to know a few things.

-Where and how to pull some of these older campaigns off the old server/wherever they are to check for 1.2x.

-Someone to walk me through how to manually add it, I do believe I know how but I'd like to know I'm doing it right.

And so I just reinstall the stable versions, 1.2x, and play them in there to check for issues? Not a problem. Preferably a list of which ones are ok and which ones you need me to check, but I can just start going through them all.

And on top of that, potentially an idea of which campaigns I should be checking because I know some of the ones on the list are either being abandoned or have been checked by someone.