RPG Prototype: Silver Tree

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

RPG Prototype: Silver Tree

Post by Dave »

I have developed a prototype for a game that I am releasing to get feedback on. I will be creating a web site for the game shortly, but am releasing it here now as a 'preview', and to see how many people can get it working.

The game is a 3D RPG with a hybrid real time, turn based system.

The game is currently available only as source code, with it set up to compile on Linux. To run the game you will likely need a reasonable quality Nvidia video card.

If anyone would like to compile and produce binaries for Windows or OSX that would be very welcome!

I will soon be looking for developers to help develop the game. Artists (both 2D and 3D), programmers, storyline developers, map designers, musicians, and so forth will all be welcome.

I have provided a very simple adventure with the prototype, but I have not decided on a 'setting' or world for the game yet. It could be in the same world as Wesnoth, but it could be different. I would be interested in contributors who would like to spend a lot of effort in creating a background world for Silver Tree -- the adventure is fantasy based, but I'm open to other ideas also.

[edit] added newer links
Google Code Repository
Discussion Group
Extremely Primitive Web Page
[/edit]

The source tarball is here: http://www.wesnoth.org/tmp/silver-tree.tar.gz

The README file contains compilation and playing instructions, but they are also below.

A screenshot is here:

README:

To build: run the command in build.sh

To run:

./game

(from the game's main directory)

To play:

main map controls:

cursor keys move around the map
space rests

to control the camera:
z/x zoom in/out
<> tilt camera left/right
pl tilt camera up/down

mousing over a party will show you the party's stats.

battle controls:

'm' to move, then click the hex to move to. If you move next to an enemy you can then click on the enemy to attack it.
'a' to attack, will light up adjacent enemies

when you attack an enemy a slider will appear. The white bar will move across the slider. Pressing a button will halt the bar. Getting it in the green area is a 'fumble', the yellow is a normal hit, and the red area is a critical hit.
Last edited by Dave on August 18th, 2007, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Zebulon
Art Developer

Re: RPG Prototype: Silver Tree

Post by Zebulon »

Dave wrote:If anyone would like to compile and produce binaries for Windows or OSX that would be very welcome!
I'd love to. However, I get when linking:
[Linker error] undefined reference to `WinMain@16'

Does anyone know what's wrong?
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I get nothing but several screens of errors when compiling. What are the library dependencies?
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:I get nothing but several screens of errors when compiling. What are the library dependencies?
The SDL libs (same ones as Wesnoth).

OpenGL.

Boost. (http://www.boost.org)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

I suppose there is no walkthrough yet :)

compiles ok on suse 10.2 / GeForce 6600GT

I'm stuck in the village of Felson though... the peasants are afraid to leave the town because of the Goblins :)
just blame it on the rng when you lose
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

hjwn wrote: I'm stuck in the village of Felson though...
Well you do realize you can exit the village by walking to the beginning of the path into the village (the bottom-left hex), right? :)
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

Sorry, was not trying hard enough. Meanwhile I have Marcus in my party.

- fighting works
- zooming works
- can't tilt up/down/left/right (my german keyboard?)

I can take a look at the source myself (I do that stuff to earn my money).

EDIT: yep, just have to use US keyboard mapping.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

hjwn wrote:Sorry, was not trying hard enough.
Hmm...it's probably more of a matter of the interface being very poor at this stage. (It is just a prototype, after all!)
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

On Debian, libboost-dev is needed to compile.

Graphics are screwed though, everything but the compass rose and the battle bar are B/W, no textures (though I have Radeon, not Nvidia). Not all control keys respond, keyboard layout issue again I guess. I have no sound, is there supposed to be?

The battle "hitbar" system is interesting, is that your own invention? I presume the red area expands as the character gets levels up?
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Groovy wrote: Graphics are screwed though, everything but the compass rose and the battle bar are B/W, no textures (though I have Radeon, not Nvidia).
This is expected on any ATI card. It currently uses non-power-of-2 textures, which ATI doesn't support. (I plan to correct this in a future release).
Sgt. Groovy wrote: Not all control keys respond, keyboard layout issue again I guess.
Probably. What keys don't respond? What kind of keyboard do you have?
Sgt. Groovy wrote: I have no sound, is there supposed to be?
There is currently no sound.
Sgt. Groovy wrote: The battle "hitbar" system is interesting, is that your own invention? I presume the red area expands as the character gets levels up?
Well, I did not entirely invent it; I've seen similar things in other games.

The speed and the size of the red area vary based on the 'attack' stat of the attacker, and 'defense' stat of the defender.

David
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I downloaded the folder however I can't seem to find the game. What is the name of the file I am supposed to be opening?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

Hi,

just returned from fighting the goblins in the mountain cave.

Midnight here, so a very quick feedback:

Technical:

- compiled without problems (suse 10.2), had everything already installed

- no problems with nVidia GF 6600 GT (driver version 100.14.09)

- US keyboard mapping necessary, but the german mapping works too (Keys: 'P' 'L' ',' and '.' for camera movement)

Game play:

- not ready for mainline yet :), but no problems learning the essentials

- the "Fatigue" value: at first I was not quite sure why the movement of my party was getting slower and slower. Well, then I saw that they simply were tired. It took me quite some time to crawl back from the mountain cave to the village (verrrry long). Nice idea, haven't seen this before. Impossible to run from enemies when tired :). After healing they stopped crawling.

- well, now my fatigue gauge is full...

Thumbs-up, there is a lot of work ahead.

Horst
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

Hello,
Velensk wrote:I downloaded the folder however I can't seem to find the game. What is the name of the file I am supposed to be opening?
I'm using linux, so I don't know if this helps.

- unpack source
- change to source directory
- execute "sh build.sh"
- execute "./game"

that's all (was for me).

bye
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I unpacked it I don't understand the rest of what you said. (I may need to be walked through.)
I run OSX incase it makes a diffrence.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

I just downloaded the game and gave it a try. No problems with compiling and control.
However, sometime it got stuck during a battle repeatedly showing following messages at Konsole
npc turn
closest enemy: 2
get possible moves...
got 15 moves
moving to within 2