New: Ooze Mini-Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SpenceLack

New: Ooze Mini-Campaign

Post by SpenceLack »

I made a new single player mini-campaign for v1.3.4.

It has four complete levels. It also has an RPG level which as far as I know has never been done in a single player campaign before.

I'm unable to post it to the official server for some reason, so I'm posting it here in the meantime. Please give me feedback so I can make it better.

Thanks!

Installation:

1.Unzip the zip file
2. Open up the wesnoth add-on campaign window (you can get there by running wesnoth in windowed mode and selecting Data-->User-->Reveal campaign folder from the menu).
3. Drag "Ooze_Mini_Campaign" and "Ooze_Mini_Campaign.cfg" into the window that opened up in step 2.
4. Select "Campaign" from the Wesnoth main menu screen, scroll down the list of campaigns to find the Ooze Mini-Campaign.
Attachments
Ooze.zip
(441.21 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
leonhunt

Post by leonhunt »

How do you run wesnoth in windowed mode?

For some reason 'man wesnoth' does not give me anything.
Leon Hunt
SpenceLack

Post by SpenceLack »

To run wesnoth in windowed mode, run Wesnoth, go to Preferences, Display, and uncheck Full screen mode. Basically you're putting the campaign in the same location that all your other downloaded campaigns end up in.
leonhunt

Post by leonhunt »

Okay so I played through the first map. This is my first campaign outside of mainline, and I find it very fun. I like that the dialog mostly takes part on the opposing sides, and it is not the Oozes themselves that drive the storyline of what is going on around them.

A glitch (a.k.a. bug, a.k.a. feature) that I have discovered is that the Ooze description says that they can not produce progeny, yet their attack has the plague property.

A note on the map: What is all that dessert road to the east? It does not look very cave like.

The critter: Bats fighting spiders? I don't know, perhaps they should be sided?

The dialog: When I attacked the loyalists I expected a dialog along the lines of: "Argh! What the heck is that?". That dialog later came when they attacked me back. Could you make mentioned dialog appear no matter who is the first attacker?

It looks like a fun campaign SpenceLack, unfortunately I am off to bed, so I must finish it some time later. G'night.
Leon Hunt
leonhunt

Post by leonhunt »

Okay so I finished it, and it was a lot of fun. I don't think I have anything to add that could make this campaign better. There were many nice suprises along the way (I will try to avoid putting spoilers here, but the weapons upgrade option was a very cool idea.)

WTG on the RPG map! It was what got me interested in trying this campaign in the first place, and I didn't get disappointed. In my opinion you could easily label this campaign as 1.0
Leon Hunt
SpenceLack

Post by SpenceLack »

Thank you very much for the input!

I will make fixes as you suggested.
SpenceLack

Post by SpenceLack »

This is the new version (v1.0).

version changes:
1st level:
The sand is gone, replaced by water and bridges.
The spider queen is now more accessible to attack regardless of difficulty level.
The thieves guild has less gold.
The militia now express shock upon encountering you regardless of who intiates hostilities.

Any level:
The description of the ooze has been updated.

The campaign has also been added to the v1.3.4 server (kind of). I'm still having troubles with the server, which is why the campaign is listed with an "ic" at the end of the title, but it does download OK.
Attachments
Ooze1.zip
(435.84 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

got it from the server, quite impressive=)

thank you for you great mini campaign
tashi

Post by tashi »

I have pulled it down from the add-on server. I like. I have not finished playing with the 3rd scenario. It has some nice differences from other campaigns that are pretty well implemented.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I just finished playing this and can also say that I am very impressed.

Most of all, I like being able to make a lot of choices that actually make a difference. If I were to suggest one thing, it would be to actually have a scenario or two more where you play as actual Ooze, maybe as an optional side quest from the starting scenario.

Way to think outside of the box and good work!
tashi

Post by tashi »

isn't there two episodes where you play ooze?

I did think it was a creepy idea to have the ooze take over the elf witch's body. Like some kind of horror show scenario. The Thing (the remake) comes to mind.
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

Very nice campaign.

After advancing, you can fight arbitrarily long in the Arena with essentially no risk, earning gold all the time. If you do it enough, this makes the last scenario relatively easy. What about giving more powerful monsters as you advance, so there is actually non-trivial risk?
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

Hi,

an ooze campaign - what the heck... duhhh....

Well, I'm impressed, honestly. You really made a thorough job of it. Very nice. An epic devouring session :)

Horst.
just blame it on the rng when you lose
garak

Post by garak »

I can only agree with all others here You have done a very good job!
The campaign is special one of my favorites :D
But one thing at the end the mage is very easy to kill.Maybe you will make another scenario ,where you can fight the mage :D
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Please update the pbl file, just forgot some " which resulted in quite some strange things. This is more like what the content should look like:

Code: Select all

author="SpenceLack"
                description="iFour complete levels, including an RPG level."
                filename="Ooze_Mini_Campaign"
                icon="units/monsters/giant-mudcrawler.png"
                name="Ooze_Mini_Campaign"
                passphrase="Yourpassphrase"
                title="Ooze Mini-Campaign"
                version="1.0"
I had to edit it on the server to make it work, please correct it to look something like this (you just have to replace the passphrase with the one in your file).
The next time the pbl does not work I will probably not bother with correcting the entry but directly delete the content... ;)