Forum Map Tag Compatibility Fixed

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DDR

Forum Map Tag Compatibility Fixed

Post by DDR »

Has anyone else made a device to convert the new map format into the old? (wml map tag incompatibilities) I have started one, but I would like to know if I am duplicating work. Mine should be up this week, or the next. Note that it will only be tested for windows 98, and only available as a windows executable file.
Last edited by DDR on July 11th, 2007, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

I don't think anyone has. I had thought of making one too, but I didin't, because I can't make Linux programs. Hope yours is up and running soon. Btw, what programming language are you using?
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Honestly, I'd write that with an interpreter language o.o I think Windows isn't that popular in the Wesnoth developer community..
DDR

Post by DDR »

Ehh, I would have had this made already, but I went on a vacation. Some technical stuff: This is written in True Basic (gold), which I can bind into a windows executable file (.exe). Native to win98. This file can be run with Linux using WINE, a windows emulator. It can probably be run on a mac with the proper emulation software, too. The program, coming soon, will convert a new-style map file into the old-style map file that is displayed on screen, to be saved as a plain text file and/or copied to the clipboard. User friendly.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Haven't heard of True Basic. I'd do it in Perl, but I don't know Perl very well, so I'd do it in VB, but Windos isn't the OS of the month. I knew I should have learnt C!
DDR

Post by DDR »

Well, I use true basic because I know it well enough to do this with it, and because I have a resident expert on the subject. I find it's lack of compatibility to be a little annoying, but solvable.
History: True Basic is the last form of the "basic" languages, and is available for both home and school use. The "basic" languages were very popular in the dawn of personal computing, and true basic is the final, and best, edition to be released. Google "True Basic" and go to the first link to get to the site. Demo available.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

wasn't there a python script for converting 1.2 to 1.3.1? it wouldn't be that hard to change, would it? look in the tools section of your 1.3 install
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

DDR wrote:Well, I use true basic because I know it well enough to do this with it, and because I have a resident expert on the subject. I find it's lack of compatibility to be a little annoying, but solvable.
History: True Basic is the last form of the "basic" languages, and is available for both home and school use. The "basic" languages were very popular in the dawn of personal computing, and true basic is the final, and best, edition to be released. Google "True Basic" and go to the first link to get to the site. Demo available.
Hmmm.... I think QuickBasic and Visual Basic is better, but all to their own...

Looks interesting, but it's not free, unfortunately.

I'll test yours on XP, 98, 98SE and 95 (if I can find a computer running it) as soon as you upload it.
DDR

Post by DDR »

All I have to do is put in the map data, and I'm set to publish! ETR: 23 hours

[edit] I have run into problems with the terrain letters, and the reference page on the subject in the wiki is outdated. What is the bit after the ^ for? (eg - Ha^Vhha)
DDR

Release!

Post by DDR »

:!: :D :!:
The first edition of DownConvert has hit the web!
This is a beta release, 0.7.

Instructions of Usage
1) Open the program, using WINE or equivalent if necessary.
2) Select the multi-letter map you wish to convert.
3) Highlight the relevant output you wish to copy.
4) Close the program.
5) Paste the map data into this forum, inside a {map} tag, for a graphical map.

Known Problems:
1) Some terrains do not occur in this forum. Conversions to a similar terrain do not yet exist.
2) This program only runs on windows or a windows emulator.
3) The user interface is unintuitive. See above for instructions.

Facts
1) Tested Systems: Verified: Windows 98, 95. Failed: DOS
2)Testers wanted for windows 3.1, linux systems, mac systems, and any others.

Also, did I get the right libraries included? (Will it run?)

This will turn this code:

Code: Select all

Chw         , Ce          , Ch          , Chs         , Rr          , Rr          , Rr          , Ss          , Ss          , Ss          , Aa          , Aa          , Aa          , Aa          , Aa          , Aa          , Aa          , Ww^Bw|      , Ww^Bw|      , Ww^Bw|      
Chr         , Cud         , Cv          , Kv          , Rr          , Rr          , Rr          , Ss          , Ss          , Ss          , Aa          , Khw         , Khs         , Kh          , Aa          , Aa          , Aa          , Ww^Bw\      , Ww^Bw|      , Ww^Bw/      
Gs^Fp       , Gs^Fp       , Aa^Fpa      , Aa^Fpa      , Re          , Re          , Re          , Dd^Vda      , Ss          , Ai          , Ai          , Khr         , Ke          , Kv          , Aa          , Aa          , Aa          , Wo^Bw\      , Ww^Bw|      , Wo^Bw/      
Gs^Fp       , Gs^Fp       , Aa^Fpa      , Aa^Fpa      , Re          , Rd          , Re          , Dd^Vda      , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Kud         , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ss^Bw\      , Ss^Bw\      , Ww^Bw|      , Ss^Bw/      
Gs^Fp       , Gs^Fp       , Aa^Fpa      , Aa^Fpa      , Rd          , Rd          , Rd          , Dd^Vdt      , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ss^Bw\      , Ss^Bw\      , Ww^Bw|      , Ss^Bw/      
Gg^Fet      , Gg^Fet      , Gg^Fet      , Gg^Fet      , Rd          , Rd          , Rd          , Aa^Vea      , Dd^Vdt      , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Ai          , Wwf         , Ww          , Ww          , Ww^Bw|      , Ww          
Ggf         , Ggf         , Ha          , Hd          , Hh          , Md          , Mm          , Aa^Vha      , Aa^Vea      , Wo          , Ai          , Wo          , Ai          , Wwf         , Wwf         , Wwf         , Wwf         , Wwf         , Ww          , Ww          
Ggf         , Ggf         , Ha          , Hd          , Hh          , Md          , Mm          , Gg^Ve       , Aa^Vha      , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wwf         , Wwf         , Wwf         , Ww          , Ww          , Ww          
Ggf         , Ggf         , Ha          , Hd          , Hh          , Md          , Mm          , Gg^Vh       , Gg^Ve       , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          , Wo          
Ggf         , Gs^Ft       , Gg          , Gg          , Gs          , Gs          , Gs          , Mm^Vhh      , Gg^Vh       , Mm          , Mm          , Mm          , Re^Gvs      , Mm^Xm       , Mm^Xm       , Mm^Xm       , Re^Gvs      , Mm^Xm       , Mm^Xm       , Mm^Xm       
Gs^Ft       , Gs^Ft       , Gg          , Gg          , Gs          , Gs          , Gs          , Ha^Vhha     , Mm^Vhh      , Mm          , Mm          , Mm          , Re^Gvs      , Mm^Xm       , Mm^Xm       , Mm^Xm       , Re^Gvs      , Mm^Xm       , Mm^Xm       , Mm^Xm       
Gs^Ft       , Gs^Ft       , Gg          , Gg          , Gs          , Gs          , Gs          , Hh^Vhh      , Ha^Vhha     , Re^Gvs      , Mm          , Re^Gvs      , Re^Gvs      , Re^Gvs      , Mm^Xm       , Re^Gvs      , Re^Gvs      , Re^Gvs      , Mm^Xm       , Re^Gvs      
Gs^Fp       , Uh^Ii       , Uh^Ii       , Uh^Ii       , Gs          , Uu^Ii       , Uu^Ii       , Uu^Ii       , Hh^Vhh      , Re          , Re^Gvs      , Re          , Re^Gvs      , Re          , Re^Gvs      , Re          , Re^Gvs      , Re          , Re^Gvs      , Re          
Gs^Fp       , Uh^Ii       , Uh^Ii       , Uh^Ii       , Gs          , Uu^Ii       , Uu^Ii       , Uu^Ii       , Gs^Vht      , Re          , Re          , Re          , Re          , Re          , Re          , Re          , Re          , Re          , Re          , Re          
Gs^Fp       , Re^Uf       , Uh^Ii       , Uu^Uf       , Uu^Uf       , Uu^Uf       , Uu^Ii       , Uu          , Gs^Vht      , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         
Re^Uf       , Re^Uf       , Re^Uf       , Uu^Uf       , Uu^Uf       , Uu^Uf       , Uu          , Uu          , Uu          , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         , Re          , Qxu         
Re^Uf       , Re^Uf       , Re^Uf       , Uh          , Uu^Uf       , Uu^Vu       , Uu          , Uu          , Uu          , Ql          , Ql          , Ql          , Ql          , Ql          , Ql          , Ql          , Ql          , Ql          , Ql          , Ql          
Xu          , Xu          , Uh          , Uh          , Uh          , Uu^Vu       , Md          , Md          , Hd          , Hd          , Ds          , Ds          , Dd^Do       , Dd^Do       , Dd^Dr       , Dd^Dr       , Dd^Dc       , Dd^Dc       , Dd          , Dd          
Xu          , Ss^Vhs      , Uh          , Uh          , Uh          , Uu^Vud      , Md          , Md          , Hd          , Hd          , Ds          , Ds          , Dd^Do       , Dd^Do       , Dd^Dr       , Dd^Dr       , Dd^Dc       , Dd^Dc       , Dd          , Dd          
Ss^Vhs      , Ss^Vm       , Ss^Vm       , Ww^Vm       , Ww^Vm       , Uu^Vud      , Md          , Md          , Hd          , Hd          , Ds          , Ds          , Dd^Do       , Dd^Do       , Dd^Dr       , Dd^Dr       , Dd^Dc       , Dd^Dc       , Dd          , Dd          
Into this map:
[map]CnCqRRRwwwSSSSSSSccc
Co__RRRwwwS___SSSccc
GGSSrrrIwii___SSSscs
GGSSrErIiiii_iiiwwcw
GGSSEEEIiiiiiiiiwwcw
ggggEEESIiiiiiiccccc
ggHJhMmSSsisiccccccc
ggHJhMmgSssssscccccc
ggHJhMmggsssssssssss
gGggGGGmgmmmrmmmrmmm
GGggGGGHmmmmrmmmrmmm
GGggGGGhHrmrrrmrrrmr
G[[[Guuuhrrrrrrrrrrr
G[[[GuuuGrrrrrrrrrrr
Gr[uuuuuGXrXrXrXrXrX
rrruuuuuuXrXrXrXrXrX
rrr[uuuuulllllllllll
WW[[[uMMJJddIIIIIIII
Ww[[[uMMJJddIIIIIIII
wwwccuMMJJddIIIIIIII
[/map]

Enjoy!
:wink:
Attachments
DownConvert007.ZIP
Convert maps for forum use.
(377.56 KiB) Downloaded 588 times
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

It looks like you've got some problems with one of the hex types... Ruin castle or something?
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
DDR

Eh, that's "substitutions"...

Post by DDR »

The [?] hexes are ones that have no equivalent in single-letter terrain. These are the keeps, and the elvish castle. I am not sure how to handle side starting places... The [?] should be fixed in an upcoming release.

Also, what is the ^ doing to the terrain? Should I worry about it?

Also, could I have either conformation or denial that the code runs on another computer? I need to check if I have included the right libraries, and I can't do that on my computer because I have all the libraries on it. Thanks!

Hope this helps a bit. :)
DDR

Post by DDR »

Look here ( http://www.exong.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29#29 ) for the source code. It is very clunky...
DDR

Post by DDR »

This is beta release 0.7.5

Fixes: Some substitutions made, ? hexes eliminated.
[map]CnCqRRRwwwSSSSSSSccc
CoCKRRRwwwSKKKSSSccc
GGSSrrrIwiiKKKSSSscs
GGSSrErIiiiiKiiiwwcw
GGSSEEEIiiiiiiiiwwcw
ggggEEESIiiiiiiccccc
ggHJhMmSSsisiccccccc
ggHJhMmgSssssscccccc
ggHJhMmggsssssssssss
gGggGGGmgmmmrmmmrmmm
GGggGGGHmmmmrmmmrmmm
GGggGGGhHrmrrrmrrrmr
G[[[Guuuhrrrrrrrrrrr
G[[[GuuuGrrrrrrrrrrr
Gr[uuuuuGXrXrXrXrXrX
rrruuuuuuXrXrXrXrXrX
rrr[uuuuulllllllllll
WW[[[uMMJJddIIIIIIII
Ww[[[uMMJJddIIIIIIII
wwwccuMMJJddIIIIIIII
[/map]
Attachments
DownConvert0075.ZIP
Downconvert v0.7.5
(377.65 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

I'm just going to test it.

Test Computer Technical Details:
I'm running Windows XP SP2 Version 2002 with 256MB RAM.
Result:
I got this message: "This application has failed to start because xnmba458.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

Since your version has difficulties I may make a version in VB5 or VB6, because the VB5 runtime comes with 98 and the VB6 with XP, and they are almost always installed on any given windows computer.