AI question

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Shadowdweller

AI question

Post by Shadowdweller »

I had been away from Wesnoth for a while before downloading the newest development version. At present, all AIs but the default do not seem to be acting at all. Moreover, the default seems to play much worse than in versions from the 1.1 or 1.2 branch. Was wondering if anyone might offer some word of explanation?

Is it possible I've got something improperly set up?

EDIT: Correction, seems the sample_ai is willing to move and attack with its leader. But refuses to recruit any units.
DarrellLeonhart

Maybe!

Post by DarrellLeonhart »

Maybe you have the AI set differently because you ccan make them act in different ways with different scripts try changing it to a different AI rather than Default... If it doesn't work then I don't have a clue! :? Sorry if I'm no help!
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: AI question

Post by Rhuvaen »

Shadowdweller wrote:At present, all AIs but the default do not seem to be acting at all. Moreover, the default seems to play much worse than in versions from the 1.1 or 1.2 branch. Was wondering if anyone might offer some word of explanation?
No word of explanation, but I have seen strange sights of inexplicable AI failure, too, in 1.3.3. It's hard to quantify or reproduce, but the AI previously never attacked a fencer (in a village) with an orcish archer standing in the water with melee, when clearly, it has much better options. All the instances I've seen relate to a melee attack being chosen (by orcish archers and assassins the way I remember it) when a ranged attack would have been much better (or even gone unretaliated).
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, I can speak for the dfool_ai that it is currently under development and I have not yet implemented a default mode for the AI, so just switching to it without setting specific WML tags to go along with the change will cause it not to do anything. Once I have it functional, I will be adding in some default parameters that will make it usable without any WML settings, but that will be one of the last things that I do before it's official release.

As for why the default AI is now behaving differently than in 1.2, I am not sure off hand.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Darth Fool wrote:Well, I can speak for the dfool_ai...
I've seen its source code file present in the distributions since 1.0.2 approximately. Always wondered what it was.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Darth Fool wrote:As for why the default AI is now behaving differently than in 1.2, I am not sure off hand.
Could it have something to do with how aggression is computed? The wiki now seems to give a plausible range from -1.0 to 1.0. I could swear a few versions ago I had seen 2.0 being given as a maximum. Now in the wiki explanations 1.0 is always subtracted from the aggression value...

But I'm sure campaign maintainers all over the place would have noticed such a change, so maybe it IS my memory that is at fault. :o