Should a mage heal?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Blitzmerker

Should a mage heal?

Post by Blitzmerker »

Should a Mage get the ability heal? A mage is studding a very long time so I think he learned at least some things about healing. And when he evolves to a White Mage he'd expends his healing ability and won't suddenly have cure.
I don't know waether it makes the Mage a bit too strong but I think a Mage should have healing (unless it unbalances the game).
:(){ :|:& };:
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

that would make him too strong
or too expensive ...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Should a mage heal?

Post by zookeeper »

Blitzmerker wrote:And when he evolves to a White Mage he'd expends his healing ability and won't suddenly have cure.
What? That sentence is grammatically incorrect and I don't know what you mean either.

EDIT: I also don't understand how someone could think that just casually giving a unit like the mage healing could possibly not unbalance the game. :?
Blitzmerker

Post by Blitzmerker »

zookeeper wrote:
Blitzmerker wrote:And when he evolves to a White Mage he'd expends his healing ability and won't suddenly have cure.
What? That sentence is grammatically incorrect and I don't know what you mean either.
Sorry,
When a Mage evolves to a White Mage he would expand his healing ability; and would not suddenly have the ability cure.

Maybe the Mage could be weakend a bit...
:(){ :|:& };:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

i think an orcish grunt should heal. and maybe troll whelp too. and, of course, thug and poacher too.
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

And we should give all drakes heal, cure, nightstalk, skirmisher, lavahome, swamphome, and cavestalk
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

I'm for renaming mages to "Dudes who can throw burning billets that chase their enemies". Fits much more with what they can do.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

No, it would be unbalanced. That's why they can cure when they dedicate their selves to it (White Mages), but as simple mages they can not yet heal.

People, don't be rude.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Avoid making a case for significantly altering a unit based on realism alone, as almost any game mechanic can be justified in some way.

Proposals need more substance than that if they are to be considered.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Kestenvarn wrote:Avoid making a case for significantly altering a unit based on realism alone, as almost any game mechanic can be justified in some way. Proposals need more substance than that if they are to be considered.
This is 100% correct. Gameplay is the most important thing. A suggestion that adds realism at the expense of gameplay it basically has no chance of success. (Note: I'm not necessarily saying that this suggestion falls into that category).

As others have pointed out, the factions are carefully balanced against each other. Adding a L1 healer to the Loyalist faction would upset that balance.

In addition, the inability to heal at L1 is a point of distinction between the White Mage line and the Saurian Soothsayer line. The L1 Mage is more powerful offensively than the Saurian Augur, but the Augur can heal. It would be a shame to undermine that distinctiveness.