all factions era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Troy

all factions era

Post by Troy »

since my campaign is on hold, I thought it would be great if I made an all factions era.

it will have the EoM if possible.

it will have the extended era.

it will have the elivinde era.

it will the IE in it if possible.

if I am missing others please tell me.
well, all for the better good than for the bad good.

new forum
Stargunner

Post by Stargunner »

So you're going to combine all these into one huge era? Wow. That should be interesting.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

INTERESTING. indeed. and, entirely pointless as they are currently different eras for a reason (each has its own theme, also balancement, etc).

not to mention it would be a huge download.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

If you only added an era file that contained paths to the existing eras it pulls from (that is, it wouldn't work without all th other ones installed as well), it COULD be just that one file (I think), which would be quite small.

Of course, that still doesn't address the balance problems, but it might make for an interesting exercise. Which factions would come out on top? "strongest"? I would suspect that it wouldn't be easily predictable.
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

deoxy wrote:If you only added an era file that contained paths to the existing eras it pulls from (that is, it wouldn't work without all th other ones installed as well), it COULD be just that one file (I think), which would be quite small.

Of course, that still doesn't address the balance problems, but it might make for an interesting exercise. Which factions would come out on top? "strongest"? I would suspect that it wouldn't be easily predictable.
Not to mention we could have two versions of the same faction going head-to-head: EE Sidhe vs. IE Wild Elves.
Troy

Post by Troy »

that is not a problem, I will combine them.

new forum
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well IE SIdhe and EE they don't have the same stats ... Some have units also differents specials, different abilities or differents damage type in the EE or the IE, so it's not that easy to combine them.
Also with some era there is some extra damage types. Units that doesn't come for these eras would be immune to those extra damage type.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Drake Blademaster

Re: all factions era

Post by Drake Blademaster »

Troy wrote:since my campaign is on hold, I thought it would be great if I made an all factions era.
:shock:
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

if every bug or problem was worked out im sure it would be pretty cool.
This would have something cool if i actually had anything intersting to say or write.
Troy

Post by Troy »

most of them will.

new forum
Silver Sun

Post by Silver Sun »

The Elivinde Era, that's not edited anymore unless someone picked it up where I left it off. I liked making that little elvish-type faction, but at that time I doubt I was very balanceful. In addition, it doesn't even have animations, just a standing frame... :P
There's no single lesser fate than becoming the immature one in a frivolously ridiculous argument.
Lim_Arcadia

Post by Lim_Arcadia »

I did something like this a while back, for the purpose of Role playing with my friend. IIRC it contained every normal faction, plus their age of heroes counterparts, the extended era, and the elementals faction. In addition I added a villager faction, that only incuded peasnets, and a faction with every unit in the era, although I did plan to remove it.

I still have the files if you wish to contact me, Ill PM them to you, Mind you, I'm not sure they will still work.

(EDIT:) I intended to put in the Imperal era as well, but never got the time.
"The ability to speak does not make you intelegent." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Kestenvarn wrote:This is not a faction.
This is not even trying to be a faction.
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

I think there would be value to this if you can add resistances to all units against custom damage types, so that a campaign developer can just use your era and pick a few units, without doing that work themselves. Of course it would be fun to play online too. However I'm not sure wesnoth allows you to add resistances easily without having to completely redefine the units. zookeeper once told me you can use an era event to set the resistance when any unit is recruited.

Other than filling the missing resistances, I would recommend not changing the existing units. There might be balance problems, but I think eventually the era maintainers will tune their own eras so they are more balanced against other eras. I know there is no need for them to do that, but after your era comes out, they might have the motivation. And when they make such changes, or any other updates to their era, you wouldn't need to maintain much code except the missing resistances.
Coaxke

Post by Coaxke »

hasnt there already been an all-factions era in the past, on an earlier version of wesnoth, i think :shock:

if u want to, you could add my oblivion era to it, but only if you want to, because almost all the units are from different eras, but just renamed and re-thought out
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)