List of abandoned campaigns?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WizardMagus

List of abandoned campaigns?

Post by WizardMagus »

One of the biggest pieces of advice to people seeking to make a new campaign is to adopt an abandoned campaign that already exists and finish/improve it.

My question is, which campaigns are definitely abandoned? It would be awkward to pick up a project, and then find out that the developer was there all along and was just temporarily on hiatus, etc.

It would be nice if we maintained some kind of list of abandoned campaigns, so we could reference newcomers to that thread and suggest that they adopt one of them. Would anyone be willing to work on this? (I temporarily don't have access to Wesnoth, but that will change in a month or so.) I think it could definitely benefit the campaign development community.
Temuchin Khan

Re: List of abandoned campaigns?

Post by Temuchin Khan »

WizardMagus wrote:One of the biggest pieces of advice to people seeking to make a new campaign is to adopt an abandoned campaign that already exists and finish/improve it.

My question is, which campaigns are definitely abandoned? It would be awkward to pick up a project, and then find out that the developer was there all along and was just temporarily on hiatus, etc.

It would be nice if we maintained some kind of list of abandoned campaigns, so we could reference newcomers to that thread and suggest that they adopt one of them. Would anyone be willing to work on this? (I temporarily don't have access to Wesnoth, but that will change in a month or so.) I think it could definitely benefit the campaign development community.
I second the motion. I would also like to ask another question: Has The Dark Hordes been abandoned a second time? Or is pjr coming back to it someday?
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Seems like it is abandoned. At least for a year or so. I would like to add the campaign "Saving Elensefar" to this list. I have thought about picking it up and maintaining it, but it is too old WML for me to lift to WML 1.2
I have the campaign here on my harddisc if someone is interested. Version 1.0.5 was the last one.

EDIT: Sorry. I meant "wesnoth-Eliador". I probably should not post anything after 11PM.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

I would like to volunteer to take over The Dark Hordes. It was a nice campaign and I enjoyed playing it. I was thinking about it for a long time, but since Taurus mentioned that he is interested, I wanted to consult him first. Since he agreed to let me have a shot at it, I would like to give it a try.

Edited : A Seed Of Evil is also a good , but abandoned campaign that needs someone to finish it. Trying to complete both of them at the same time might be too much for me, though, so if someone wants to revive old campaigns, it would be a good one to start with.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

vonHalenbach wrote:I have the campaign here on my harddisc if someone is interested.
Which raises a very good point - do we even HAVE some of these abandoned campaigns? They will not be on the new campaign server. Perhaps along with a list we should be attaching campaign files...
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Mythological wrote:I would like to volunteer to take over The Dark Hordes. It was a nice campaign and I enjoyed playing it. I was thinking about it for a long time, but since Taurus mentioned that he is interested, I wanted to consult him first. Since he agreed to let me have a shot at it, I would like to give it a try.

Edited : A Seed Of Evil is also a good , but abandoned campaign that needs someone to finish it. Trying to complete both of them at the same time might be too much for me, though, so if someone wants to revive old campaigns, it would be a good one to start with.
I have brought "The dark Hordes" to a working state again. It has quite readable WML already, because of this the bugfixing did not need much time. I have changed the music files, some picture-pathes and the names of the maps. If someone is interested, i can send the files via e-mail.
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

Mythological wrote:Edited : A Seed Of Evil is also a good , but abandoned campaign that needs someone to finish it. Trying to complete both of them at the same time might be too much for me, though, so if someone wants to revive old campaigns, it would be a good one to start with.
I have been looking to contribute to Wesnoth, especially to improve the overall writing and content of the user-made campaigns. Originally I wanted to do my own, but it seems like updating an older campaign would give me some good experience and also give something back with a little smaller commitment.

If I am going to maintain a campaign, I would want to have full rights to change things as needed. Is this generally acceptable? If the campaign is truly abandoned, the original author does not have control over it?

If these things are the case, then could someone upload A Seed of Evil so I can take a look at it?
tashi

Wiki page (with OLD info)

Post by tashi »

There is a Wiki page with some really old info on the status of campaigns including broken and abandoned ones. However like many Wiki pages, it is really out of date.

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Status_of_User_Scenarios
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, that Wiki page is really old. I think it hasn't been touched since long before I started playing.

I'm going to say that best bet for finding out if a campaign is abandoned is to first try to find if it has been updated within a year or so http://wolff.to/campaigns/list.html and then just go through the campaign forum to find ones that aren't on there.

It would be neat, I think, if every month or so all the campaigns on the server were uploaded/updated somewhere to a list that will never prune old material.
Snarius

Post by Snarius »

I wrote a little script to look for differences from an old version of the campaign page. Some of them are missing from the new server, but some are just spelled differently. (such as Northern_Rebirth vs. Northern Rebirth).
  • 3 Tests of an Undead Man
    A New Threat
    A Seed of Evil
    All Factions MP Era
    CampGen Example Campaign
    Demo MP Era
    Elf War
    Flight to Freedom
    Forest of Fear
    Glory
    Holidays
    Ilayin the Illusionist
    Invasion of Eliador
    L3 Outlaw unit pack for campaign WRITERS
    MP Capture the Flag
    MP Map Generators
    Map Pack
    Northern_Rebirth
    Path of Summoner MP era
    Peasant MP Era
    Random Maps
    Random_Campaign
    Restoration
    Scout
    Son of the Black Eye
    Subterranian MP Era
    Superheroes MP Era
    The Forgotten Legacy
    The Heist
    The Mage Republic
    The North Wind
    The South Guard
    Two Brothers
    Under the Burning Suns
    Unrest in Elfland
    Werewolves
    Wesvoid
    Wild Elves
    Wizard Wars MP era
    a BIG battle
Snarius out.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm... looking at that list and weeding out the ones that are actually not abandoned and/or complete crap, and sorting them into campaigns vs. eras and maps, have:

Campaigns:
3 Tests of an Undead Man
A New Threat
A Seed of Evil
Elf War
Forest of Fear
Glory
Holidays
Ilayin the Illusionist
Invasion of Eliador
Random_Campaign
Restoration
Scout
The Forgotten Legacy
The Heist
The Mage Republic
The North Wind
Unrest in Elfland
Wesvoid

Multiplayer eras:
All Factions MP Era
Demo MP Era
Path of Summoner MP era
Peasant MP Era
Subterranian MP Era
Superheroes MP Era
Werewolves
Wild Elves
Wizard Wars MP era

Mappacks:
MP Capture the Flag
MP Map Generators
Map Pack
Random Maps

Tools for campaign writers:

CampGen Example Campaign
L3 Outlaw unit pack for campaign WRITERS

The only stuff there that looks to me like it might be worth maintaining are a few of the campaigns...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

ooh the holiday campaign, that was a nice one. childish, but refreshing in its innovativeness.
tashi

Finding Code/images

Post by tashi »

Are all of the campaign's listed on the 1.2.x addon server?

I guess I am asking is if we wanted to look at one that strikes our fancy to see if we wanted to tackle it, where would we get the data files.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I don't know how many will be on the 1.2 server. Most, if not there, will be on the 1.0 server, if it still exists.

BTW, of the above, the one that IMHO would be most interesting to "salvage" would be The North Wind.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

Maybe we should make another program similar to the new campaign maintainer "program" :?: