New Map: Subdivision.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

New Map: Subdivision.

Post by F8 Binds... »

The name of the map: Subdivision, as there are 4 separate cavities, with 2 players in each corner. This map has a LOT of versatility: It can be played 9 ways.

I: 4v4: Northwest+Southeast vs Northeast+Southwest. This is the way the map was originally meant to be played: gaining the center means joining with your allies and separating your enemies. Gaining control of the center often can mean victory. Teams should be 12211221. Basic settings.

II: 4v4: North vs South. An interesting way to play, as the two groups in each alliance have a hard time working in unison, as the cavewall separates them. Teams should be 11122221. Basic settings.

III: 4v4: West vs East. A very similar way to play as number II, just it's west vs east. Teams should be 12222111. Basic settings.

IV: 2v2v2v2: Northwest vs Northeast vs Southeast vs Southwest. Each cavity fights for itself. Like a 4 player FFA, only 2 players are on each team. Teams should be 12233441. Basic settings.

V: FFA: Every man for himself. 4 "mini" battles are fought in their respective cavities: winner moves on to challenge the rest. Teams, obviously, are 12345678. Settings of 70% xp, 2 gpv, but starting gold is decreased to 50-75, and Age of Heroes is a possible era here.

VI: 2v2: Same as number I: only one player is removed from each cavity. That simple. Should be a version of 1212, with empty spaces inbetween. 1221 is not an available combination of teams here. Basic settings.

VII: 2v2: North vs South: same as number II: but only with one player per cavity. Not as balanced as number VIII, as this can only be played 1122. Basic settings.

VIII: 2v2: West vs East: same as number III: but as in other "ways to play", only one player per cavity. The most balanced 2v2 on this map: it can be played 1221. Basic settings.

IX: 1v1v1v1: FFA. One player per cavity, every player for himself. Teams of 1234, and basic settings.

X: FFA: with an interesting twist, as a player and an AI collide in each cavity, and then turn the the others to eliminate them. Invented by Sapient. Basic settings or settings mentioned in number V.

Here is the map. Give balancing on the first version, as that was the way it was meant to be played, or give new ways to play it. Still, speak your mind and point out any obvious mistakes. Even if you say, "This map is cool." or something, feel free to say it. Here's the map: I think it's my best yet.

[map]WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWhWaWgW1WgW]WWW]WgW2WgWaWhWWWWWWW
WWWWWgfmmmggoooggu[W[uggoooggmmmfgWWWWW
WWWD[gghmfgkggRRggDWDggRRggkgfmhgg[DWWW
WWW]ugggffgkghgRhmWWWmhRghgkgffgggu]WWW
WWWgggggtggcgfvRfddWddfRvfgcggtgggggWWW
WWW8oRghgggckkckcccWccckckkcggghgRo3WWW
WWWoogRRmddscdNrdYwWwYdrNdcsddmRRgooWWW
WWWggvfRgccscgggrgwWwgrgggcsccgRfvggWWW
WWWskcdkcdkckKNgrhfWfhrgNKkckdckdcksWWW
WWWccdcdfgYkQNNgrrgWgrrgNNQkYgfdcdccWWW
WWWtdghgggwgcgNEEfrWrfEENgcgwggghgdtWWW
WWWhfggKNgggchEghmrWrmhgEhcgggNKggfhWWW
WWW?ggNNNgfkcaEdfggWggfdEackfgNNNgg?WWW
WWWgggggNhmk?REEggvWvggEER?kmhNgggggWWW
WWWgvgggEggcgRfEgcgcgcgEfRgcggEgggvgWWW
WWWfhfggEgg/RcgEcdkhkdcEgcR\ggEggfhfWWW
WWWmmmftEEqwcdkcYgfgfgYckdcwqEEtfmmmWWW
WWWWmhggghRggfdcdggfggdcdfggRhggghmWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWRfhmgQkghmhgkQgmhfRWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWhWgWhRghfgckghfhgkcgfhgRhWgWhWWWWW
WWWmmmgtgERwgddcdgggggdcddgwREgtgmmmWWW
WWWfmffgEgq\cckEYdfhfdYEkcc/qgEgffmfWWW
WWWghgggEggcRRgEcckckccEgRRcggEggghgWWW
WWWgvgggEhgkgRfEgggWgggEfRgkghEgggvgWWW
WWW?gggNNgmk?aEdggvWvggdEa?kmgNNggg?WWW
WWWhggNKNgfgchEgfmgWgmfgEhcgfgNKNgghWWW
WWWtfgggNgggcgEEhfrWrfhEEgcgggNgggftWWW
WWWcddhdggwkcNNgErrWrrEgNNckwggdhddcWWW
WWWsccckfdYcQKNgrhgWghrgNKQcYdfkcccsWWW
WWWgkvdRcckskgNgrgfWfgrgNgkskccRdvkgWWW
WWWoggfRgdcscdgrrYwWwYrrgdcscdgRfggoWWW
WWW7oRRhmgdcckNkdcwWwcdkNkccdgmhRRo4WWW
WWWgoggggggckfcRcdcWcdcRcfkcggggggogWWW
WWW]ggggtfgkghvRfmdWdmfRvhgkgftgggg]WWW
WWWDugghffgkgggRhgWWWghRgggkgffhgguDWWW
WWWW[ggmmmgggoRgguDWDuggRogggmmmgg[WWWW
WWWWWWfhmaggo6ogg][W[]ggo5oggamhfWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW[/map]
Last edited by F8 Binds... on March 23rd, 2007, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
eyu100

Post by eyu100 »

I guess I will have to retire my bridge map then. This is the same concept, and it is much better.
eyu100

Post by eyu100 »

Oh, never mind. My map is quicker and has only four players.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Yes, keep yours. Mine was only partially based on your theory. Castle hopping isle, coupled with your theory and looking at some of bec's maps added with my own taste created this map. It isn't meant to be a quick match: no 4v4 is.
JW

Post by JW »

I'd redo the villages in the middle. Right now they're accesible by 2 sand, 2 water, and 2 grass hexes and are on swamp. This will give Drakes an advantage in attacking them. Whether this is balanced by the rest of the map IDK, but just a thought.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

JW: thanks, I'm going to be replacing the sand with some forest/hills. Anything else before the new version comes out?
JW

Post by JW »

F8 Binds... wrote:JW: thanks, I'm going to be replacing the sand with some forest/hills. Anything else before the new version comes out?
It's really hard (for me) to judge map balance on such a large map, especially without playtesting - I just noticed that at a glance. Map centers are usually the most important areas of maps, especially with such a setup as you have with the impassible terrain.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'd like to play it FFA with each player to face a computer enemy in their own cavity. ;) I think that would be more fun than 8p human FFA (because uneven skill matches in the beginning would carry over to the second phase).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Thanks, Sapient, for "how to play #10". I let the AI kill one another on this one, and no specific things pop out here. Looks mostly balanced in my eyes.