Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nova

Post by Nova »

Can you post the new graphics for Malakar? I'm tinkering a little with the script and making some images, but it would help if I had actual pictures of him to use.

Thx.
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Flight to Freedom: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=690
Co-Author, Maintainer
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

@Nova: The new Malakar graphics are in this update.

FtF 4.0 released, for Wesnoth 1.3 and up only.
compatible with new terrain system, will make cave roads passable
Manor enhanced
Survival edited, but cutscene not implemented yet
several dialogue changes
Landfall bridge collapse softened
new graphic for the enslaved Malakar
several bugfixes
Drake Guerillas/Revolutionaries have visible spear overlay
losing text added if Unforgiver is sunk and Kogw has not disembarked
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Nova

Post by Nova »

Excellent!

I don't actually see any new Malakar graphic files. With my limited time, I was only able to glance at Survival, and didn't immediately see any noticable differences (in Malakar).

Either way, I'm looking forward to investigating the new version in more detail.
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Nova wrote:Excellent!

I don't actually see any new Malakar graphic files. With my limited time, I was only able to glance at Survival, and didn't immediately see any noticable differences (in Malakar).

Either way, I'm looking forward to investigating the new version in more detail.
The graphic change only affects Malakar as he appears in Rebellion, Manor and (briefly) Caravan.

Nova

Post by Nova »

All right. Well, if Malakar doesn't change, then I guess these are ready to go. I think they give us a strong reason to care about Malakar right off of the bat, and make Morogor seem a little more alive.

Let me know what you think.
Attachments
I know, Father.  No access to the quarries, and no more than one night of rest.  I want them on our shores no more than you do.  By your leave…
I know, Father. No access to the quarries, and no more than one night of rest. I want them on our shores no more than you do. By your leave…
5-Go-Child.jpg (112.54 KiB) Viewed 4878 times
Heh.  Captain!  Hear the wisdom of the one who will become your new leader!  Very well, meet with the thin-skins, little Necolar, but…
Heh. Captain! Hear the wisdom of the one who will become your new leader! Very well, meet with the thin-skins, little Necolar, but…
4-New-Leader.jpg (108.31 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
Forgive me, Father, but I would like to speak with the humans, as an official emissary of our tribe.  If we turn them away too soon, without giving them the chance to resupply their water, they may become hostile.
Forgive me, Father, but I would like to speak with the humans, as an official emissary of our tribe. If we turn them away too soon, without giving them the chance to resupply their water, they may become hostile.
3-Interrupt.jpg (86.64 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Ahhhhrr.  How many times must I refuse before they leave us alone?  Captain, deny any requests for landing on Morogor’s shores.  Surely, by now, they’d know that we have no interest in trade with thin-skins.
Ahhhhrr. How many times must I refuse before they leave us alone? Captain, deny any requests for landing on Morogor’s shores. Surely, by now, they’d know that we have no interest in trade with thin-skins.
2-Malakar-Reply.jpg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
A moment of your time, Malakar.  My scouts have reported an approaching fleet manned by humans.  No doubt they wish to discuss the use of our quarries, again.
A moment of your time, Malakar. My scouts have reported an approaching fleet manned by humans. No doubt they wish to discuss the use of our quarries, again.
1-Captain-approaches.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Continued...
Attachments
Negotiations were short.
Negotiations were short.
7-Negotiate-2.jpg (101.35 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
And so Necolar, as an official emissary of her father’s tribe, went to meet with the human leaders.  The humans were not interested in trading, however.
And so Necolar, as an official emissary of her father’s tribe, went to meet with the human leaders. The humans were not interested in trading, however.
6-Negotiate-1.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

And then Survival happens. I no longer think it should be automated, but I do think it should take place in a quarter of the space it does now. That is, unless an attainable objective is added.

Malakar loses. Then:
Attachments
Granted, Captain, but make it brief.  Neighboring tribes may be sending scouts already.
Granted, Captain, but make it brief. Neighboring tribes may be sending scouts already.
2-Talking.jpg (78.4 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
Your squad did particularly well today, Captain.  We killed fewer Drakes than I might have imagined.  You have my authorization to begin loading the best-looking ones onto the ships.<br /><br />Thank you, Sir.  Requesting permission to speak freely?
Your squad did particularly well today, Captain. We killed fewer Drakes than I might have imagined. You have my authorization to begin loading the best-looking ones onto the ships.

Thank you, Sir. Requesting permission to speak freely?
1-Commendation.jpg (107.31 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

The Drake Tribes are often in competition, Sir. They are unlikely to be upset at the removal of a rival tribe. They do share certain beliefs, however, and if we do not bury the dead warriors, I’m certain that every drake in Morogor will unite and swear vengeance upon us.

We are nearly three days behind schedule, already. We do not have time to pander to their superstitions. Thank you for your insight, Captain. You are dismissed.
Attachments
Spare me your hollow pleasantries, Baron.  I find both you and your work distasteful and have no desire to continue our relationship any longer than is necessary.
Spare me your hollow pleasantries, Baron. I find both you and your work distasteful and have no desire to continue our relationship any longer than is necessary.
5-The-Castle.jpg (106.59 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
With a mere half of the captives still alive, the Wesnoth army eventually made landfall, and the drakes were sold as slaves to Baron Prax III.
With a mere half of the captives still alive, the Wesnoth army eventually made landfall, and the drakes were sold as slaves to Baron Prax III.
4-The-Voyage.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
Many weeks passed.  The captive drakes, already wounded, quickly began to weaken and die.  Each lost warrior of the tribe deserved a funeral dirge, and the songs began at daybreak and often did not end until sundown.
Many weeks passed. The captive drakes, already wounded, quickly began to weaken and die. Each lost warrior of the tribe deserved a funeral dirge, and the songs began at daybreak and often did not end until sundown.
4-The-Voyage.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
Lieutenant!  It has come to my attention that we must leave no trace of our actions here today.  As soon as the last able-bodied drake is aboard, I want your unit to burn this village to the ground.  Let nothing remain but ashes.
Lieutenant! It has come to my attention that we must leave no trace of our actions here today. As soon as the last able-bodied drake is aboard, I want your unit to burn this village to the ground. Let nothing remain but ashes.
3-The-Order.jpg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Very well, Marshall, I suppoze I can hardly expect a mere merzenary to share in the bazic social grazes to which I am accuztomed.

The Royal Armies of Wesnoth are not mercenaries! You may have provided us with an escape from crisis, but do not ever presume that we answer to anyone but the Crown.

I think you will find, Marshall, that even your prezious Queen would anzwer like a lapdog if her pocketbook dozn’t begin to fill soon. Money doez strange thingz to people…
Attachments
Yez, Marshall, they are uzeful to me, and so I let you live.  Never, though, did I zay that I what I needed waz manpower.  Perhapz next time you will pay a little more attenzion and bring me the Humans I had azked for.
Yez, Marshall, they are uzeful to me, and so I let you live. Never, though, did I zay that I what I needed waz manpower. Perhapz next time you will pay a little more attenzion and bring me the Humans I had azked for.
8-Get-Out.jpg (107.33 KiB) Viewed 4822 times
You will never, as long as the kingdom stands, set a finger on our lowliest peasant!  The Drakes are strong, powerful, and will heal soon!  You have all the slaves you need to run your plantations, and the drakes…
You will never, as long as the kingdom stands, set a finger on our lowliest peasant! The Drakes are strong, powerful, and will heal soon! You have all the slaves you need to run your plantations, and the drakes…
7-Rebuttal.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 4822 times
You have failed me, Marshall; you and your men.  I requezted Human… help, and your brought me dying lizards.  You are lucky I do not chooz to punish you for your shameful performanz.
You have failed me, Marshall; you and your men. I requezted Human… help, and your brought me dying lizards. You are lucky I do not chooz to punish you for your shameful performanz.
7 Need Humans.png (49.84 KiB) Viewed 4822 times
This… this is a tenth of what was promised!
This… this is a tenth of what was promised!
6-Surprise.jpg (14.53 KiB) Viewed 4823 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

And then we go into Rebellion. If you don't mind, I fiddled with the in-mission text, as well.

MALAKAR: “The guards’ fresh replacements… they’re late today…�
MALAKAR: "Drakes! Rally to me! Gather what strength you have! For VENGEANCE!"

MALAKAR: "The manor house lies ahead! Tear out its black heart and leave its shell for the vultures!

UNIT: The hatchlings are free! Find the taskmaster!

UNIT: "Malakar… our hatchlings… they’ve been tortured and wounded. Why… why would they do this?
MALAKAR: Listen to me! Is any of you have any sense of goodness or justice, find a thin-skin and cleanse this world of a little of their evil!

OVERSEER: "Kill the hatchlings! Kill them all!"

MALAKAR: "The guards have arrived! Everyone! FIGHT!!!!!"

MALAKAR: "Our hatchlings are under attack! Hurry!"

MALAKAR: "NO!! Our hatchlings... Our tribe is lost. Oh, Necolar, I’m sorry…�

UNIT: "The taskmaster -- that monster -- is dead! We must free the hatchlings!"
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Take 2

Survival

Still needs to be shorter or have an attainable goal. It's not fun enough to be as long as it is.

Rebellion

If you sweep west to the center, then north to the right of the animal pens, the killing of the hatchlings isn't triggered. The bad guys are great. Take that, driver!

The Manor
I seemed to have more money then I'd actually earned. I'll assume this is a conscious decision, because I would've been swamped otherwise.
The upkeep is also abnormally low. Probably a good move.
I've decided that the spears are worthless weapons, but invaluable as healers. I hoard them.
I love the new room, and the various texts therein. Thumbs way up.

Caravan
The new dialogue is great. Bringing in Kogw early really helps cement the elvish rage in my mind.
The new look is great. The map is visually much more interesting.
I'm not sure what to make of the bird that starts at my base. It keeps the wolves at bay for a turn, but it also nearly guarantees that all the wolves will go south. It's a big deal on this map when a wolf or two distracts the elves for a turn.
The wolves all have odd names. I'd suggest no names.
Were the wolves toned down? I remember them being more damaging, before.
Likewise, was the caravan powered up? It beat Malakar in a one-on-one fight, which made me surprised. Or sad. Okay, it made me sad.

I like what I'm seeing, so far!
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

The images are very good, and a definite improvement over the current ones. However, can you remove those strings of buoys in the water of the two Negotiation pictures (if that's what they are)? Even if they're not buoys, they appear artificial.

The dialogue is very good. I like your idea of giving Malakar a daughter, because her murder further explains Malakar's intense hatred of humanity. Also, "thin-skin" is an excellent epithet for the humans.

Nova wrote:Take 2

Survival

Still needs to be shorter or have an attainable goal. It's not fun enough to be as long as it is.
I'm probably going to add another enemy, behind Malakar. This would also explain why the drakes cannot retreat.
Nova wrote:Rebellion

If you sweep west to the center, then north to the right of the animal pens, the killing of the hatchlings isn't triggered. The bad guys are great. Take that, driver!
I can code the guards' return to always occur
Nova wrote:The Manor
I seemed to have more money then I'd actually earned. I'll assume this is a conscious decision, because I would've been swamped otherwise.
The upkeep is also abnormally low. Probably a good move.
Yes, you do get 150 gold, although your other gold will carry over (and it will at least be 100 gold). Also, units recalled from Rebellion will not have an upkeep, although new recruits will.
Nova wrote:Caravan
I'm not sure what to make of the bird that starts at my base. It keeps the wolves at bay for a turn, but it also nearly guarantees that all the wolves will go south. It's a big deal on this map when a wolf or two distracts the elves for a turn.
I can move the bird, as it's not important to the scenario.
Nova wrote:The wolves all have odd names. I'd suggest no names.
That's apparently an engine bug, because the wolves and birds have descriptions, even when I explicitly set them to "".
Nova wrote:Were the wolves toned down? I remember them being more damaging, before.
Likewise, was the caravan powered up? It beat Malakar in a one-on-one fight, which made me surprised. Or sad. Okay, it made me sad.
IIRC, no.
Nova wrote:I like what I'm seeing, so far!
Thanks!

Nova

Post by Nova »

However, can you remove those strings of buoys in the water of the two Negotiation pictures (if that's what they are)? Even if they're not buoys, they appear artificial.
That should be just 1 picture. I'm not sure why it posted twice -- probably my error.

They're lobster traps in the background. I don't know what I can do with them, but I'll try to fuzz them out or something.
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

I guess there should be two. I tried smudging the traps out. I think it worked. Sorta.
Attachments
Replacement picture
Replacement picture
7-Negotiate-2.jpg (129.68 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Replacement picture
Replacement picture
6-Negotiate-1.jpg (118.19 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

End of The Manor

Post by Nova »

At the end of the manor, I propose skipping the dialogue between Prax III and Malakar, and going to a cutscene, instead. It's a little different than what's there, but I hope you like it. It makes Prax a little less spineless, and anti-climactic fights are always funny, in my book.
Attachments
3-Hiya.jpg
3-Hiya.jpg (55.29 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
Hear me Sol’kan, bringer of the void and arbiter of souls!  I summon thee forth from your pit of eternal suffering to aid me now!  Hear me, unholy groom of the darkezt one, lord of…
Hear me Sol’kan, bringer of the void and arbiter of souls! I summon thee forth from your pit of eternal suffering to aid me now! Hear me, unholy groom of the darkezt one, lord of…
2-Magic-Spell.jpg (109.73 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
Foolizh insectz!  You think you have won, but I have only begun to show you my true power!
Foolizh insectz! You think you have won, but I have only begun to show you my true power!
1-Surrounded.jpg (116.51 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer