new campaign: Green Isle

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bignall

Post by bignall »

I just played your campaign and it looks good. I look forward to the rest of the story. Here's some comments on the scenarios you have.

Playing on easy, I had difficulty finishing the scenarios The Final Conflict and The First Contact in the time allowed. In The Final Conflict, I see how it might work by playing almost exclusively scouts, but I didn't try it a second time to see if that would do it.

In The Final Conflict, maybe you could finish it if you already knew the layout of the map and could head straight there and didn't get attacked too early, but I doubt it. The units don't move fast enough to complete the scenario and cover that much ground in 30 turns. It seems to me that they'd know the layout of their own island, but I think you hid it so that you don't know where the invaders are coming from. So, if you want that, I'd suggest some scout type unit that would allow you to explore the area and find out where you need to go, and extend the time to at least probably 40 turns (It took me 55, but if I'd stayed out of the mountains I can see it going faster - problem is you have no way of knowing where to go early enough to head that direction).
gabe

update

Post by gabe »

at v.35 now
tweaked some stuff and finish some other stuff off
have to playtest now
also started a changelog
seemed appropriate
thanks for any feedback I have recieved and I hope for more
will check the levels Final Battle and First Contact for if to big for time limits
if I think they are to hard will modify something to fix it
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Enjoyed the first couple of scenarios (even if Lastt Battle is a bit huge - and I echo the time limit issues; on easy, even guessing the right approach, it took me 47 turns).

In the middle of 'First Contact,' though, I get an instacrash: no error message, Wesnoth just quits (and doesn't even give the usual OS X 'the application unexpectedly quit' message). Reproduces on reloading and repeating. I could send a savefile if it would help - very annoying!
gabe

shroud

Post by gabe »

working on wml
have a question
i need to have the shroud on so I can use the sighted event
but i want the shroud to be off for the first turn or two
mainly to let players get the feel for the map first
then i want to put the shroud back on
then at a latter point i want to remove the shroud again
this is the wml where i first remove the shroud and set up some vars
what is wrong here?

thanks in advance

[event]
name=prestart
{SET kills 0}
{SET saw_2 0}
{SET saw_34 0}
[remove_shroud]
side=1
[filter]
x=1-65
y=1-60
[/filter]
[/remove_shroud]
[/event]

as a side note
is it possible to place and remove fog
that would be much more appropriate for the scenario
gabe

posts and questions

Post by gabe »

added levels to Final_Battle also took away level 2/3 recruits and put them in manually at various points in the game
some other tweaks as well like ai no recruit till they see your coming for them but the shroud thing is brutal and buggy so put it on the fog for now
also made the level longer and increased starting $
will test again after I get the shroud stuff working
if still crazy will modify the map a little bit that will be last resort as the terrain is part of the difficulty in this level
any way thanks for the feed back
gabe

new stuff

Post by gabe »

did some changes to the leader for the fae parts of the campaign
wanted to know some more questions in addition to the ones I have all ready posted
Is there any way to not use the Markov Chain thing for race names?

thanks for the help and feedback
gabe

standard location filter

Post by gabe »

yeah i thought you actually had to use the filter tag
apparently that is ont the case

[remove_shroud]
side=1
x=1-65
y=1-60
[/remove_shroud]

confused by simplicity as all ways
such is life
gabe

event not firing

Post by gabe »

i want an event to fire if at least one of two variables has been increamented or a certain turn limit has been reached. the variables are increamented at the end of sighted events the event I want to work is this one
[event]
name=new turn
first_time_only=no
[if]
[or]
[variable]
name=saw_2
greater_than_equal_to=1
[/variable]
[variable]
name=saw_34
greater_than_equal_to=1
[/variable]
[variable]
name=turn_number
greater_than_equal_to=20
[/variable]
[/or]
[then]
[unit]
type=Silver Mage
description=Brick
user_description= _ "Brick"
x=16
y=42
random_traits=yes
upkeep=full
side=3
[/unit]
[message]
speaker=narrator
message= _ "A great wind picks up and blows away the fog."
[/message]
[remove_shroud]
side=1
x=1-65
y=1-60
[/remove_shroud]
[redraw]
[/redraw]
[/then]
[else]
[/else]
[/if]
[/event]

i want the event to fire only once but the turn on which it fires is supposed to be the first turn after the human sees the ai
any suggestions?
gabe

Post by gabe »

got the first four and a half scenarios working
haven't fully tested yet but they seem to be functional
the first 2 are with elves
the second two are with all new unit using mostly elf art as i am no artist and am focusing on design before art
the third scenario is a fairly straight forward kill the bad guys type
the fourth one is mostly dialog and split up on to 2 seperate maps
at the end you get to pick which units you will be able to recruit for the next few scenarios (while loops are cool)
unfortunatley the 5th scenario wont be ready till v.37 and is still just a shell
with no map but the idea of it is fleshed out to some degree in the changelog

also if anyone can point me to some wml for spawning undead when units die that would be pretty cool

please give me any feedback, pointers or ideas
gabe

Post by gabe »

reposted
some minor additions
the 5th level is allmost ready
needs a map and some more dialog
has some cool wml tricks IMHO
will post it again once it is done and tested thru scenario 5
bignall

Post by bignall »

I'm playing your campaign again. I noticed a bug.. I think.. I hope it's not by design. When you kill off the silver mage at the bottom... Desk, I think his name is, the next turn, you get a message that a wind blows the fog away, then several more silver mages appear along with a Red mage (funny names, btw, desk, lamp, brick, chair ;-) . That's okay, so I went on and killed off one of the Silver mages and the red mage. End the turn, and.... it happens again! You get the same message (which of course, the shroud is gone now, so nothing happens there) and sevral more silver mages and a red mage appear again... making it rather impossible to kill them all off.

I don't know if it affects ability to win the scenario. I suspect not, but I haven't finished the scenario yet.

Looking forward to the new scenario.
gabe

Post by gabe »

ya thats a bug
i want the shroud to blow away the turn after the enemy is spotted
working on it now
unsure of how to get it working proper
as if you see Desk than the fog should all ready be gone
there are sentry units that are there first
the code I am working on is posted a few posts above but here it is as an attachment
going to try something instead of the new turn event which isn't firing at all
cause I have a test dialog now and no work when i quit wensoth and reload after making changes will look at someother wml and try figure it out
Attachments
The_Final_Battle.cfg
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
bignall

Post by bignall »

At the very least, I think you need

first_time_only=yes

to make it happen only once. At least that's what I gather from looking at WML (but note that I have never written a scenario or done anything with WML). I don't know about the right triggering event. It certainly did not happen when I first saw a sentry. It did happen when I killed off the silver mage leader. And it keeps happening every turn. I have not tested the new version you posted.
bignall

Post by bignall »

Here's some comments on The First Contact. Playing on easy.

I like the fog with some hidden areas much better than the shroud. The turn limit set at 30 is not nearly long enough. Even sending all my troops immediately around the island and ignoring everything else, I was only about 2/3 there when I ran out of time. And, I could not recruit enough troops to split into two groups and send one across the mountains and the other around the island, though I'm not sure if going across the mountains would have gotten anyone to the southern leader fast enough either. I first moved the turn limit up to 40, but even with that, I could not reach the south most leader in time. I finally reached him about turn 42 and finished him off about turn 44. If I hadn't had to fight the guys that came in behind me across the mountains, it might have gone faster, but the southern leader must have plenty of gold to create quite a few units and taking all the villages lets him get even more..

I got one unit out to the island about turn 39. Is there supposed to be something out there to find? I figured with the hidden area there might be, but I could not find anything.

When the prince leveled up, I got AMLAs instead of an advancement in level? Is that what was supposed to happen? I'd expect him to get up at least to level 3. I do like the AMLAs, I'd just expect to get up a couple of levels as well.

Is the Druid really supposed to be heal +4 ? The Elvish Druid is heal +8 . I was rather surprised to find that my shaman didn't become a +8 when he became a Druid.

Also, I noticed that when I had a unit next to the Green Mage and a Druid, he only got healed +4 instead of +8. I don't know if that's a campaign problem or a game problem, but I haven't noticed that happen before in other campaigns.

I hope these comments help.

You've got an interesting campaign here. Looking forward to more of it.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

If I recall, he's using my Wood Mage line, which doesn't get heals until Life Mage. (I think he tinkered with the levels).
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE