help with TRoW last mission

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

michael_18

help with TRoW last mission

Post by michael_18 »

help guys,, not sure if im meant to post this here or where, im a noob, n i need help on the campaign the rise of wesnoth.

im playing it on easy, have got up to the last mission, the rise of wesnoth n i just get swarmed by opponents

it seems impossible with him taking my dead units,

has anyone got any stratergy help???
Last edited by michael_18 on March 7th, 2007, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imp

Post by Imp »

It's the last mission. Use all of your resources and keep your units alive. Time is a resource you can easily spare. Try to aim for at least 400 gold at the start, and be able to recall only lvl 3s and lvl 2s. You'll need lots of healers.
troodon

Post by troodon »

A huge squad of paladins (at least 5) helps tremendously. A grand knight, royal guards, and arch mages are a good idea as well. If you don't have these, try to replay an earlier scenario (or maybe the entire campaign) and get these.

Also, if you are truly a noob, I suggest you play a different campaign first. The Rise of Wesnoth is hard.
Imp

Post by Imp »

He's already up to the last mission, which is actually incredibly easy compared to most of the scenarios from Clearwater Port onwards.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Huh? The final scenario is not easy!
But take heart, it can be beaten on hard with some 470 gold,
so you should be able to beat it.
-Keep a tight formation
-fight many fights withfew opponents rather than few with many opponents
I sent the main force west keeping a small force(couple of mages of light
and a few more units) to hold the river bank. The strategy is:
kill a few units, fall back and heal , kill some more, heal and so on
-try not to lose units
I had only one Paladin in TROW -in contrast to many I do not believe you need too many Paladins in TROW, Grand Knights are preferable. Even in the few scenaria where you do fight undead, there are generally many more orcs and other things(like Nagas and Saurians) against which GKs are better. In TROW
surviving is key and GKs have more HP in addition to hitting better against orcs, trolls and nagas...
Imp

Post by Imp »

Maybe that's why you found it so hard. I had no problem keeping my units alive, but even their deaths were not too difficult to compensate for. I also had a host of near-levelled lvl 2 units (near lvl 3) that I had been preparing for use in this battle, and they came in handy. Near-levelled swordsmen and knights are much better than royal guards and grand knights - which I had so many of (lvl 3's, that is), there was no way to recall them all with less than 1,000 gold.

The time limit is plenty for going slow. Silvers were immensely useful for holding the many fronts we have to fight on as well as assassinating. Once the first enemy is killed, and the river is crossed (the only part that made me lose units - giving my units a safe way to cross!) the rest is easy. To kill the first enemy, fast units (horses and quick royal guards with quick white mage) and silvers while the lvl 2's (and other 3's) rush to the river fronts to hold it. I was inconvenienced by the collapsing bridges and had to withdraw to the swamps for a bit until my mermen force arrived to take out the spawned water nasties. After that, it was mages of light with mermen to clear a front (took me comparatively AGES since I underrecruited mermen to get more land forces), speed force joins the main force, land some units, capture villages, send silvers everywhere and home free. I left the sea orc since my mermen force was fairly depleted. The silver force was adequate for taking care of any silliness the sea orc and sea-spawned skeletons tried to pull.

The most difficult scenarios in TROW by far are, IMO, the drake island, the dragon and the troll hole. The first one because they killed everything so easily, the dragon because the dragon kills everything so easily, and the troll hole because they kill everything so easily. :-) Fine, fine - troll hole because I was pushing my resources so hard to prepare for the final battles. Cramped corridors are not fun. Perhaps it was my higher expectations from these scenarios that gave me an easier time in the final battle - I replayed them until I worked out a system that was to my satisfaction.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

On hard?How much gold did you have?
If you try to cross the river first, you end up getting sandwiched between the troll and orcs arriving from northwest, the nagas and other orcs arriving from the west and Jevyan's troops arriving from the South.
Continuus fights take their toll on your units' HP until they can no longer be safely rotated. Things would be different of course with 1000 gold,
but where do you get that? It is hard to arrive in Wesnoth with much more
than 100 gold, not because of the drakes, which is an easy scenario, but because of the nagas where you cannot advance fast. Most of your units are useless there.
After that, you can make money in Curse island, you can maybe hold your
own(moneywise) in Troll Hole, same thing in the Dragon, unless you have
units to sacrifice(you want to kill all enemies, no?)
and you lose most of that in Lizard beach.
In the Vanguard you then make again a little and also at the end maybe make a little in Return of the fleet. I do not see how you can end up with 1000 gold for the final battle, unless you really arrive in Wesnoth with much more than 100 gold.
Imp

Post by Imp »

I can't remember how much I had in the last mission when playing on Hard, but like I said, when forced to choose between recalling near-levelled lvl 2's or level 3's, go with the lvl 2's.

I blew all of my money on the elves' tests but, unlike you, did the Cursed Isle last so that I had money for the last few missions.

I didn't find the nagas that difficult. (Assuming you're talking about that islands mission before arriving on the continent, with all that deep water.) How many mermen did you use there? Did you get the trident from the drakes? I didn't continue past that mission until I got the trident with acceptable losses and decent money. What I'm surprised by is you saying the drakes were an easy mission. What did you do for that?

Tell you what - once the next stable version is released, I'll see about getting a set of TROW replays on Hard posted. Hopefully they'll have fixed the replay bug.

Out of curiosity, how many silver mages did you have?
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Sure, near level lv2s are generally better than beginner lv3, but many times levelled lv3s are still better because of the extra AMLA HP which is
useful in hard fights.
Sure, the tests were tough, but the problem was that I did not have much money when I arrived in Wesnoth, so to be able to play the dragon and the others, I had to do cursed isle first and get some serious gold.
How do you play the Dragon with 100-200 gold?(or any of the others for tha matter)
In the rough landing I had the trident and recruited/recalled nothing but mermen plus a few mages(good because of the 70% hit)
Rudry basically only helped kill the (closest) eastern serpent
In the drake scenario I had the Horse-based(plus a healer) units hold the southern bridge
with the rest of the troops-holding the line in the mountains. I lost no horse units , but I did lose if I remember a few bowmen.

In the final scenario I had 3 mages of light, one great mage and 2 silver mages(very useful, as they can jump from one area of the battle to another and offer immediate relief)
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

Just offering my opinion since I'm playing through TROW right now :)
Imp, I believe 1.2.2 already fixed all the replay bugs.

Santi: I managed to reach wesnoth with 591 gold, which make the dragon and lizard beach really easy. Of course, I did begin rough landing (the naga mission) with 757 gold.

Troll holes is a complete nightmare though. I had 536 gold for it, and I had to spend every last penny and go neg gold to beat it. I'm trying to figure out a more efficient way of beating it, but I'm stumped. any suggestions? :D

Imp: The secret to drakes island is the use of spearmen and mermen fighters in with mages of light and haldiel/outlaw queen increasing their damage. It keeps your upkeep really low, and the spears do tons of damage with 50% from leadership and 25% from MoL.

I can post 1.2.2 replays to troll hole if you're interested.
Right now, I'm considering replaying and doing troll hole first, then lizard beach, then dragon, and finally cursed isle. I leveled up 3 archmages into grand mages, and I find you WANT archmages rather than great mages (which are too expensive to upkeep).
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, reaching wesnoth with some 600 gold makes it a piece of cake. I
think the place I went wrong was clearwater port, where I tried to push for the central orc without first taking out the southern orc, so I had to go with the last ship without actually having defeated any of the leaders.
No trouble holding though. I also think I overrecruited in the Sewer, but
other than that I played economically, but not optimal.

Now, Troll hole was easy for me, even with some 380 gold.
First, do not seek the trolls, as you do not know where they are.
The point is most of your troops are slow, so you cannot afford to send them to the spiders; just deal with the trolls, which means you need to know where they're located, hence let them come to you.(meanwhile you level mages by killing the tentacles)
Wipe out their initial waves and then move in for the kill with all you've got.
Second, with your kind of gold, you can afford to sacrifice a unit or two to draw their leaders out of their keep, hence gaining a round or more.
Since I could not afford to lose advanced units, I waited at the pinch points
make sure you have two units there to the trolls 1. Make sure the troll does not kill you in one turn and also that he does not die because of your retaliation. In short a strategy let them attack you till they break.
When they have weakened enough, you move on them with units with lot of HP(like GKs or healthy maulers depending on the forces that can attack you)
Burin can try to sneak around from the byways, followed by backup troops

As to drakes, yes, spearmen are the answer. I did not use mermen though(too fragile), only one to get the trident at the last turn, though he did help in the bridge battle. The healers were very useful and Burin's high defence was the key, along with positioning so that no more than two drakes could attack any given unit at any given time.

As for 1.2.2, I think replays are still broken....

Admittedly, this is not as fast
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

how are they broken santi? The replays that is.
I've never had a replay corruption in 1.2.2 - is it something else?

For the drakes mission, I found the mermen are important for 2 reasons:
1. leveling 1-2 warriors for the next mission, and equipping one with the trident
2. Swamp 60% defense, while spearmen would have 20% in the same area.
Sure the mermen are fragile and die, but this is a mission where you're definitely going to lose troops. Better mermen fighters and spearmen than leveled units!

For troll holes, that's probably my problem :)
I wasn't using the choke points because it was my 1st time through :) I'll look them when I replay it today.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I meant replays from previous versions, last time I checked.
Sure, I agree, better mermen and spearmen than levelled, but I tried to avoid fighting in the swamp, so I used spearmen instead.