New Faction Proposal: "Devlings"

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which name for them do you prefer?

Poll ended at November 29th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Devlings
47%
Implings
53%

Total votes: 43

Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Awesome...
Roque

Post by Roque »

I vote for Devling it's a lot more unique than Impling, ands it works with the images i've seen.
Valenwood

Post by Valenwood »

This is the most entertaining and unique faction I have ever seen! I love them like no other :D

Have you given any thoughts to adding more kinds of units to this faction?

And about the AMLA levels for the Devling units; they seem to be lacking them? I managed to get a Devling Stapler up to to 172 xp in a game earlier this morning, and felt it was a little shame that he didn't get AMLA levels :) Maybe this is your intention, and maybe all other Devling (and EOM) units don't have AMLA levels either, but I'm just letting you know :)

Keep the awesome work up!
Valenwood
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Valenwood wrote:Have you given any thoughts to adding more kinds of units to this faction?
I don't know if there are any plans for this, but do they need more units? I thought they were in fairly good shape.
Valenwood

Post by Valenwood »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Valenwood wrote:Have you given any thoughts to adding more kinds of units to this faction?
I don't know if there are any plans for this, but do they need more units? I thought they were in fairly good shape.
I think they are in a pretty good shape as well; I was mostly just curious about possibly seeing some more of these shorties :D But when I think of it, it does kind of feel as if they are missing something. Maybe some kind of ranged attacker (aside from the Cursers, who are mages, and aside from the flappers, who are somewhat of a scout?), like an archer or something?

EDIT: Maybe the unit I feel missing is the Devling Rock Tosser, that I read about earlier in this thread as being an idea?
JW

Post by JW »

Valenwood wrote:And about the AMLA levels for the Devling units; they seem to be lacking them? I managed to get a Devling Stapler up to to 172 xp in a game earlier this morning, and felt it was a little shame that he didn't get AMLA levels :)
I'm sorry, I never realised this!! I'll change this in the next release of the Era of Myths. Thank you for the feedback!!
Valenwood

Post by Valenwood »

JW wrote:
Valenwood wrote:And about the AMLA levels for the Devling units; they seem to be lacking them? I managed to get a Devling Stapler up to to 172 xp in a game earlier this morning, and felt it was a little shame that he didn't get AMLA levels :)
I'm sorry, I never realised this!! I'll change this in the next release of the Era of Myths. Thank you for the feedback!!
Oooh, nice! I'm glad I was able to help you guys out :D Looking forward to the next release ;)
greywolfexcel

Post by greywolfexcel »

I just want to say that this is most probably my favorite faction... in all of the extended Wesnoth addons. A level 0 faction is an excellent idea, and they're so much fun to play that I think I might even do a small campaign about them. The problem is, there is no backstory to where they come from, or, for that matter, the Era of Myths itself (if I'm wrong on this, please correct me - I didn't really want to read through a 30-page thread). Is the point of the EoM just to be another era for different factions, much like the Extended era, or does it have its own time setting, or even world like the Imperial era? I think it would be interesting to hammer out the basics of a setting for the EoM, if none exists yet, and also fun to make a pack of mini-campaigns of all the factions (like with 5-7 scenarios apiece).
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

greywolfexcel wrote:I just want to say that this is most probably my favorite faction... in all of the extended Wesnoth addons. A level 0 faction is an excellent idea, and they're so much fun to play that I think I might even do a small campaign about them. The problem is, there is no backstory to where they come from, or, for that matter, the Era of Myths itself (if I'm wrong on this, please correct me - I didn't really want to read through a 30-page thread). Is the point of the EoM just to be another era for different factions, much like the Extended era, or does it have its own time setting, or even world like the Imperial era? I think it would be interesting to hammer out the basics of a setting for the EoM, if none exists yet, and also fun to make a pack of mini-campaigns of all the factions (like with 5-7 scenarios apiece).
Actually, if I remember rightly, the first page of that thread does have a good bit of backstory for the EOM. It does not, however, cover all of the factions in the era, only some of them.

Also, JW did want an EOM campaign, and started working on it back in the summer, but doesn't seem to have had enough time to get very far. I'm sure no one would mind if you did an EOM campaign.
greywolfexcel

Post by greywolfexcel »

Well, I checked the main EOM thread (the one in JW's sig), as well as the other faction pages, and there is some background info on a few of the factions, but it doesn't seem like there's a unifying cohesive setting (at least, one that I can find).

It seems as if the EOM does take place in the world of wesnoth (unlike the imperial era), but in the 400s (I gleaned that from some description of the Shifters, I think). It seems that this is YW, because of the whole shifters faction being cut off from the rest of the people on wesnoth, but it seems strange to me that these factions exist during the same time period, because the era changes a few wesnoth standards like damagetypes and stuff, and there is no mention of any contact with any of the default factions (except for the undead, of course, which are always in wesnoth to be an ever-present evil for the forces of good to fight).

Should I take this to the main EOM thread?
JW

Post by JW »

greywolfexcel wrote:Should I take this to the main EOM thread?
If you'd like to help me rewrite some of the EOM history, it does need it. A new thread might be in order to clear it up from all the mess....but anyway....send me a PM or something if you want to help.

A campaign based around the Devlings would be great!
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Just want to say these guys are so cute... especially that chieftain with an oversized butterknife! :D
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

battlestar wrote:Just want to say these guys are so cute... especially that chieftain with an oversized butterknife! :D
Let me 100% agree with you. I'm gonna make a Devlings fan club.
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
Devling Fan

Re: New Faction Proposal: "Devlings"

Post by Devling Fan »

How come Devling can only choose between 3 of the many Lv1 for their leader? I want a Devling Nailer as my leader when I play. :'(

BTW; HUGE fan of Devlings. They my favorite faction.
balmung60

Re: New Faction Proposal: "Devlings"

Post by balmung60 »

I just have to say this about the offenders and abusers: you still aren't getting into that R-rated movie