The Unstoppable Legion - version 0.6.0 - but for Wesnoth 1.2

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

breversa

Post by breversa »

Wow, cool ! Thank you ! :D

BTW, have you uploaded your *.po file to Wescamp ? I'm eager to start its translation !
French translation contributor
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

All right, you've talked me round.

If you want to start now, I'd suggest starting on the early scenarios.The later ones are more likely to have string changes. Anyway, I'll research how to do this properly tomorrow.
Gilrain

Post by Gilrain »

This is the first post on the forums for me, but wanted to congratulate you on an excellent campaign. I love the storyline, the units and the gameplay options.

I must admit that I am struggling on 'Mines of Alsok', bordering on pulling my hair out. I've now replayed the campaign on easy and still can't beat it. I did manage to reach the exit on the final turn, but wasn't expecting what happened!!!

Anyway, great stuff.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I've only playtested the Mines of Alsok on easy so far. It should be reasonably easy if you know how, although with this scenario and the last one it is intended that you are weakened.

Are you aware that the location of the exit is displayed? If so, could you explain what strategy you are using and/or post a replay. (Might want to upgrade to Wesnoth 1.2.2 first because saving replays seems to be unreliable ion earlier versions.)
dwarf dude

Post by dwarf dude »

Amazing campaign, one of the first with horse archers, my favourite historical unit of all time! :D

I downloaded it about a week ago (today being the 26th of Feb) and I've had a problem with The Dwarf and the Lich. I tried it originally going through the tunnels, and killed the big mean leader, then went after the small one across the river, but then i hit turn 12, and some dialog that didn't make much sense.

Then a few lvl 2 and 3 undead units appeared, all without names, and I'm told that I have to kill the right hand man of The Bad Guy, who doesnt seem to be there. I then killed the other orc leader, the undead heroes and it tells me i lost at turn 18, even though I've killed all the enemies on the map!

I thought that it might have been a 1-off bug, but I tried it again the next day and the same thing happened. So I tried the other was, and it happened on all of them. I have a replay of one where I go by sea (don't take this as my skill level, I was being extremely reckless because I wanted to prove my point quickly, and got all 3 of my knights and a red mage killed), but I'm not sure how to post it. Some hints would be very much appreciated.

BTW, I was playing on easy, v1.2.1.

I'm desperate, because the coming scenarios are sounding really interesting.

Cheers, Paddy.
Dont read this. Seriously. Stop it! Im warning you! Thats it, your going to be asassinated by 42 Spanish fighting midgets with hacksaws!
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

The Dwarf and the Lich is a bit of a bugger to balance. The general idea is that you should be able to hold off the orcs from the mountain but not defeat the main within the twelve turns. In the most recent versions (so far only posted to the forum as it's still in the testing phase) I've upped the orcs' reinforcements in turn 7 to make this harder. There should be contingency plans from what happens if you defeat the orcs warlord, but perhaps it's not working as well as I hoped.

Yes, I'd quite like to see the replay. You will need to make a .zip or .tar.gz file out of it in order to post it to the forum. Also if you could tell me which version of the Unstoppable Legion you were using. (If you downloaded it from the server, it's probably 0.3.0.) In the meantime, a workaround is to refrain from killing the main orc leader before turn 12.
dbest

Post by dbest »

Am stuck at the Dwarf and the Lich as well... its been givin me nightmares....
atleast now i shall sleep easy,knowing that its not only me...

:)
dwarf dude

Post by dwarf dude »

yes, me again! :)

It is version 3.0. I tried it again without killing the orc leader, so I just pushed him back to his fort, and retreated, but the Sven came in with his steelclad and thunderguards, and killed him anyway! :roll:

This is the one I played before though, with me killing the leader and recklessly killing many of my lvl 2s.
Dont read this. Seriously. Stop it! Im warning you! Thats it, your going to be asassinated by 42 Spanish fighting midgets with hacksaws!
dwarf dude

attached glitchy scenario

Post by dwarf dude »

sorry; attachment should be here. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
The_Dwarf_and_the_Lich_replay.zip
(23.37 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Unfortunately, the replay doesn't seem to work for me. (Still on 1.2 so maybe it's a compatibility problem.) However, I'm beginning to think that maybe [store_unit] and [unstore_unit] aren't behaving the way I expected.

Here's an altered .cfg file which I've tweaked. (It's not the latest version as that contains other changes, some of which are incompatible with the current version on the campaign server.) Hopefully the undead leader should appear this time. Let me know if it works.
Attachments
06_The_Dwarf_and_the_Lich.cfg
Altered scenario file
(30.14 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
dwarf dude

Post by dwarf dude »

hi, me agai! :D

Thanks for the help. One more thing though- how exactly do I download this new version? What I tried doing was saving it into the campaign files, the unstoppable legin files, and then the scenario files. Then I started wesnoth, and loaded a save from the end of The Forgotten Front, and when i finished it, it told me it couldn't find the scenario, and quit back to the front page.

By the way, i used WinZip to turn it into a .zip file if that helps in any way.

Cheers, Paddy
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Hmm ... that should work. Not sure why it isn't. Can think of several explanations, not sure what is right. Wesnoth 1.2.2 doesn't seem to like changing the scenario files in mid-campaign, so you might have to start again :-(

Tell you what - if you're starting again, do you fancy playtesting version 0.3.2? (Unzip it in the <userdir>/data/campaigns folder.) It's not fully tested for balance and may have bugs in, but it's got two extra scenarios, three extra units to play with, three new enemy units, and some portraits. If you want to make sure scenario 6 works, try replacing the file with this one (and make sure it is saved in text format and still has the .cfg extension).
Attachments
06_The_Dwarf_and_the_Lich.cfg
Tweaked scenario 6 for version 0.3.2.
(31.38 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Many kudos. Just played my first Wesnoth in a fairly long while, grabbed this campaign: *great*. Nice plot, good branches to the storyline (I liked the handling o the split forces especially), some neat gimmicks (the materialising daemons), good characters.

No problems in the Mines (which I just finished) although that may be in part because I gave Sven 300 gold; headed left because the outlaws were the first enemies I saw, and hooked around the top to the exit arriving on T18; the undead and the legion were getting stuck in to each other, with Zharagorm's advance guard closing in on the dwarves' rear.

One bug, though: the Lich (Mal-whatever) didn't appear with his reinforcements, and hence it was difficult to attack him and win! [So, I hacked into the code and renamed one of the Draugs as Mal-whatever, attacked it, and that worked fine. But that's a cludge.] This is 1.2.2, I believe. [On easy, I had killed off the big orc leader by that point, and the druid was conveniently right in the keep in which the reinforcements appeared, adjacent to the bad guy.]

Again, though: thanks and congrats on a clean and highly entertaining campaign thus far. Eagerly awaiting 'The-Rescue' and other scenarios.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Ladies and Gentlemen. Can't wait for Wesnoth 1.3.3? Too bad, this could be a long way off yet. But Right here, right now is the Unstoppable Legion 0.3.3, like Wesnoth 1.3.3 but with a 0 instead of a 1. And a single campaign instead of a whole computer game.

As always, there's a brand new scenario, and two new units, Cataphracts (new alternative advancement from Cavalryman) and Mounted Marksman (all right, one new unit and one unit nicked from the Imperial Era again).

The music now introduced gameplay06. To keep downloading size down, this is available in "Ye Newe Melodies Music". It is not essential to download this, but to enjoy the full Unstoppable Legion experience you will need to download this from the campaign server.

Since the archives have now gone over the attachment limit size, I'm putting this on the campaign server, even though it's not a stable version. I'll have a think about a better solution some other time. Still, at least the download size on the server is now back to something sane.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

A new scenario, woohoo :). Just played through - the very early stage is *tough*, arriving w/ 90 gold and trying to head to a temple that is *only* accessible to one unit!

Once the turn-triggered (I assume) events kick in, and Deuterus actually manages to open the temple, it's all very easy (too easy, in fact - I would have liked to be able to level some dwarves a little more, but the drakes knocked off the northern necromancer before I could do much of that).

That's all playing on easy.

I didn't like being forced to kill drakes, I admit - tried to go peacefully to the temple in the hope of being rewarded, but found it impossible. One option for adjustment, if you so chose. Otherwise, still enjoying. Where are the priests, though? :)