New terrain: Wastelands

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Sand, snow, and cave already seem a little too similar.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Edit:

First, ran a few sharpening filters on the dried lava, then, ran a gaussian blur with about .4 pixel radius on it to smooth out the pixelation.

Then, added in some specular highlights with a light brown color on the edges of individual chunks of lava.
Attachments
wasteland-lava.png
wasteland-lava.png (31.36 KiB) Viewed 6346 times
hands

Post by hands »

Very nice. The progression of this tile is starting to remind me of the nice progress of Yobbo's new roads (of course, I haven't been around very long, so maybe this is close to how all tiles progress)--an overhead concept, then a squash for perspective, then some shading and 3D considerations...
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Sand, snow, and cave already seem a little too similar.
In what way? you mean in movement and defence?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Sand, snow, and cave already seem a little too similar.
Drakes and Saurians are much tougher on sand than other factions; due to the fact that they don''t have the defence less most others encounter;
And I believe units like Mermen(?) and Naga do better on it than on ordinary terrain;

Cave is so-so; all dwarves are great on it as far as I know, and I believe units like trolls fare well on it, but I agree that certain units that have little reason to be slow or bad on it do bad on cave terrain to much.

I do think that Snow is waaaay to standart though; there is only one unit in the entire game that doesn't suffer from it (appart from flyers) and that's mr.yeti, and he's used ALOT!
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
freim

Post by freim »

Now that we have more letters to work with I thought I could ressurect this thread again. I can't really remember how far along I was with these with regards to jetryls last comment so I'll just link all the tiles so we can take it from there.

I guess another question is if these are up to scratch anymore compared to the current terrain set.
Attachments
wasteland.tar.gz
(253.91 KiB) Downloaded 569 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

we'd need an actualised screenshot to judge that :)

it's hard to judge how well they'd fit out of context...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

freim wrote:Now that we have more letters to work with I thought I could ressurect this thread again. I can't really remember how far along I was with these with regards to jetryls last comment so I'll just link all the tiles so we can take it from there.

I guess another question is if these are up to scratch anymore compared to the current terrain set.
It may not mesh with the new lava transitions (will have to test), but at the very least it's a good start on a much improved dirt.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity