Replays for Wesnoth 1.2

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Imp

Replays for Wesnoth 1.2

Post by Imp »

There have been a fair few replay threads in here, but most of those replays are for very old versions of the game and haven't worked for many of the latest versions (at least, for me).

I think it would be useful for the less-experienced players to have access to some replays that demonstrate battle tactics and strategy, etc. for both multiplayer and for some of the campaigns - most notably HttT. I was very excited when I stumbled across the thread where that player beat HttT on Hard without any losses, but alas! the replays don't work in 1.2. :-( However, a campaign where the player plays normally without trying to any special conduct like no losses would also be very instructive.

This wouldn't require too much of you - just save all of your replays next time you play HttT or an interesting multiplayer game (multiplayer team maps have the added feature where you can annotate your game through the team chat feature!), zip up the lot and upload them. And I'm sure a lot of players would appreciate it. :-)

It's too bad that the chat function doesn't work in singleplayer, otherwise they could be annotated with helpful little notes like, "Notice how I get the last strike with Konrad and then ZoC the enemy from him." (Hey, perhaps that could be added next version! :-D )

What do you think of this idea?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Great idea :) . I guess we would need someone to collect and organize all those replays, though.

And no, i won't be that guy :wink: .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Imp

Post by Imp »

Unless adding an attachment to these forums are more difficult than I think they are, the task of organising the replays should not be a task at all.

For example, they could be posted in this thread and the players can simply organise their own replays - with a sensible name, and a suitable updating system of their choice (for example, deleting their previous attachments when they add a more up-to-date zip of their replays), it should run itself.

If need be, I can probably collect, package and re-zip the replays into one neat file and attach them to the initial post in the thread, although it shouldn't need to come to that.
Raliven

Re: Replays for Wesnoth 1.2

Post by Raliven »

Imp wrote:It's too bad that the chat function doesn't work in singleplayer, otherwise they could be annotated with helpful little notes like, "Notice how I get the last strike with Konrad and then ZoC the enemy from him." (Hey, perhaps that could be added next version! :-D )

What do you think of this idea?
Actually you CAN add notes. I was just thinking the other day while playing that the "Set Label" command could be used in interesting ways to add text to scenarios, replay tutorials, and such.
gacoperz

Post by gacoperz »

albo i believe that if you save not in binary just plain text you can edit those replays easily adding comments etc.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I would be very interested in decent campaign play, annotations would be the cherry on the cake.

The only replays i've seen of campaign plays were, unfortunately, of quite low quality (that is, they were 'no loss', but the player played carelessly and owed only to an incredible luck to succeed... this kind of replay doesn't teach a lot).
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Imp

Post by Imp »

Gus wrote:I would be very interested in decent campaign play, annotations would be the cherry on the cake.

The only replays i've seen of campaign plays were, unfortunately, of quite low quality (that is, they were 'no loss', but the player played carelessly and owed only to an incredible luck to succeed... this kind of replay doesn't teach a lot).
Sounds like save scumming than real campaign play.

Since nobody else has offered any replays, I'll start things off: once I finish TROW on Medium I'll play it again on Hard and post the replays. I'm up to the Vanguard at the moment.
Imp

Post by Imp »

To start things off, since I'm playing through UtBS again, I'll post the replays as I go along. Here's the first one. Nothing spectacular, perhaps a few mistakes here and there as I was rushing through. I'm doing it on Easy (they call it Normal) because I want to finish the campaign - quickly - this time round.

There seems to be a small hitch with the replays idea, though: a lot of the campaign replays seem to end up with "file corrupt" messages. Of particular note was when I thought of saving my replay for The Rise of Wesnoth in the final scenario by the same name. If I load a save as a replay, none of the user's special units appear and everything else is corrupt. If I finish the scenario and save the replay, then the special units do appear, but everything else is still corrupt. Especially the enemies' recruits don't show up.

I hope after this other people will start posting their interesting campaign replays. :-)

And fingers crossed on the annotations!

EDIT: Updated the zip with the second scenario. This replay also has a File Corrupt message when I recalled my units. Odd. I'll attach it anyway.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Mainline campaigns have threads with subthreads corresponding to scenarios. Replays should best go there,as it will be easier to seacrh them. For example
I posted a couple of replays in the TROW thread.
Imp

Post by Imp »

One thing at a time, mate. Until somebody can explain why my replays keep giving me File Corrupt messages, and fix it, I think it's best to keep these in the same thread for easier debugging purposes. Perhaps you can help shed some light on this - do my replays work for you?

Also, the dedicated mainline campaign threads are absolutely massive and span many versions, so replays do not always work. Easy to search? Nah. However, I will think about your suggestion for a bit longer. For now I think keeping compatible version campaign/training replays in one thread is better.

Anyway, attached is scenario 3 of UtBS, the undead duel. An easy blitz in 8 turns, although I lost what were effectively 2 lvl 2 fighters, but only lost one village (the undead take it first turn and nothing can get there in time to stop them). Easy come easy go.
Imp

Post by Imp »

I had some time, and am now up to the infamous Out of the Frying Pan scenario. Here are the replays from the hill orcs (extremely easy on "Normal") and fighting against dwarves. I probably took a few silly risks as I'm still rushing through to where I got up to last time.

However, I can't really make much use of these replays. I would LOVE if somebody else posted some good campaign replays. :-)

EDIT:

Updated with all the replays for the entire campaign except for the story-only scenarios. I included the one where I gave Kaleh the fire weapon. I hope the replays work. Hehe, an interesting story: I was deleting my multiplayer autosaves and accidentally deleted most of my Frying Pan autosaves, so had to go back to an earlier part in the scenario. This really stuffed me up (psychologically) and I forgot to collect the gold stash on the second time through! But yeah, if you notice sloppy play in that scenario, that's the reason.

In the end I was mostly close to EV, although for some reason had taken a bit less damage than EV. Made a few errors near the end as I just wanted it over with (I eventually gave up moving most my units).

Anyway, POST YOUR GOOD CAMPAIGN REPLAYS!
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

Alright I'm playing out HttT again, and I'll post up the replays as I go.
These are all played at the Hardest Difficulty.

I will not make any use of saving or autosaves doing this campaign.

Units will be listed out with their traits will be written in brackets.
So Elvish Marksman (RS) = resilient and strong.
Traits: Intelligent, Quick, Resilent, Strong, Dexterous

HttT1: Finished turn 10/12.
Managed to level an Elvish Marksmen while retreating.
Retinue: Elvish Marksman (RS).
Loyal: None.

HttT2: Finished turn 5/9.
Got lucky here, with Delafor hitting all 4 bolts. Normally I finish on the 9th turn by charging everything in to assassinate the king :)
Retinue: Elvish Marksman (RS), Elvish Rider (RD).
Loyal units: Knight, Horseman

HttT3: Finished turn 19/21.
Haldiel was being a pain, as he constantly missed his attacks and got hit hard in return.
I was desperate enough to give him exp that I started taking some risks with him towards the end: attacking the troll, and then the enemy king.
The king was especially risky because Haldiel only had 23 hp, and the enemy king had 12-3 with 60% chance to hit.
I mass trained fighters hoping to get some resilient/quick ones to level up, but I only got one so far.
Retinue: Elvish Marksman (RS), Elvish Rider (RD), White Mage (IR)
Loyal units: Knight (53/96), Horseman (39/44), Mage (26/60)
Attachments
HttT 1-3.zip
(32.63 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
Last edited by Kalis on February 5th, 2007, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

HttT4: Finished turn 20/21.
Leveled/Loyal units lost: Mermen.
Cycling the mermen to keep them alive, and blocking attacks by using the 'zones of control' was a lot of fun. One of my favourite missions because it requires a lot of thinking and planning :D
Losing my 17/32 experience elvish shaman on turn 18 sucked! It happened cause my shaman missed entangling the king twice @ 40%, and the king hit the shaman 3/3 @ 40%.

Retinue: Elvish Captain (QR), Elvish Marksman (RS), 2 Elvish Riders (RD, RQ), White Mage (IR)
Loyal units: Grand Knight, Knight, Red Mage, Lots of Mermen.

HttT5 (2 - Ship Route): Finished turn 17/21.
Leveled/Loyal units lost: None
An interesting mission. You can't recall any units which makes it hard. I had to start from scratch 3x before beating it, because I had a tendency to charge the new loyal white mage.
Kamikaze Mermaid Initiates killed the 2nd Lich King

Retinue: Outlaw (QR), Mermaid Priestess (RI), Elvish Captain (QR), Elvish Marksman (RS), 2 Elvish Riders (RD, RQ), White Mage (IR)
Loyal units: White Mage, Outlaw, Grand Knight, Knight, Red Mage, Lots of Mermen

HttT6: Finished turn 21/29.
Leveled/Loyal units lost: 1 Thief.
This mission was tough. Those orcish warrior, crossbows, and undead skeletons dished out so much damage you had to play perfect for your units to survive. Take 0 risks because in 1 turn a single orcish warrior could dish out 42 damage (14-3 at night with strong).
Elvish riders were the key here, drawing enemy units out of position so I could divide and conquer.

I actually made a mistake on turn 20, sending in my 22hp white mage in. He survived only because I decided to suicide that 17exp horseman, and the enemy skelly hit 2/3 times with 60%. 3/3 would of killed the mage for sure, which would of meant reloading or restarting. So I got lucky.
I really should of just gotten the kill with the red mage there.

Retinue:
Cavalry: 2 Elvish Riders (RD, RQ), Knight (SR)
Infantry: Outlaw (QR), Elvish Captain (QR), Elvish Marksman (RS)
Mages: Mermaid Priestess (RI), White Mage (IR), Elvish Druid (IR)
Loyal units:
Cavalry: Grand Knight, Knight
Infantry: Outlaw, 2 Rogues, 1 Thief
Mages: White Mage, Red Mage, Mermaid Priestess
Mermen: 2 Mermen Warriors (1 with Storm Trident), 7 Mermen Fighters, 1 Mermen Hunter
Attachments
HttT4-6.zip
(50.98 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

HttT7 (2): Finished turn 19/33.
This mission was a breeze. They only summoned level 1 troops, so it was free experience.
Note: The replay corrupted on turn 12, which was kinda irritating. But it was clearly over by that point. The loyal fighter did NOT die. The troll double missed, which made up for 6 50% misses in a row. I didn't even have to reload (I did save it, I admit).
Does saving cause the replays to become corrupted? It was the first time I saved so far, I just didn't think that would mess up the replay...

Retinue:
Cavalry: 2 Elvish Riders (RD, RQ), 2 Knights (SR, RI)
Mages: Mermaid Priestess (RI), White Mage (IR), Elvish Druid (IR)
Loyal units:
Cavalry: Grand Knight, Knight
Infantry: Outlaw, 3 Rogues, 1 Elvish Fighter, 1 Elvish Archer
Mages: Mage of Light, Red Mage, Mermaid Priestess
Mermen: 2 Mermen Warriors (1 with Storm Trident), 7 Mermen Fighters, 1 Mermen Hunter

HttT8 (2): Finished turn 14/25.
Another tough mission. Pikes are rough!!! 40% pierce resist and pierce attack :: shudders ::.
I completely forgot about the duelists in the back lol. Checked the mine and WHAM.
Awesome mission. I had a blast charging desperately at Li'sar to kill her, while I used elven archers as suicidal units to block the flank.
I had a tough time deciding whether to turn Elrian into an archmage or silver mage, but ultimately decided silver because of teleportation. Plus, 220XP could be better used to level other units :D

Retinue:
Cavalry: 1 Elvish Outrider (RD), 1 Elvish Riders (RQ), 2 Knights (SR, RI)
Mages: Mermaid Priestess (RI), White Mage (IR), Elvish Druid (IR), Red mage (SR)
Loyal units:
Cavalry: 2 Grand Knights
Infantry: Outlaw, 3 Rogues, 1 Elvish Captain, 1 Elvish Archer
Mages: Mage of Light, Silver Mage, Mermaid Priestess

HttT9: Finished turn 11/12.
Leveled/Loyal units lost: Simyr, the Grand Knight :(
I'm really proud of beating this within the 12 turns on very hard, but I'm also REALLY tempted to replay it. The choice of silver mage was the key to my success teleportation let me take out the 3rd lich. :D
Simyr should NOT have died. It was absurd! Missing both charges, and getting hit 3/3 times by the Lich (reducing hp from 36 to 6)! But I decided not to. Really crappy luck is an aspect of the game, just as good luck is (like HttT7 where my elven fighter survived). And really, it was my fault for choosing to charge.
I'm still wondering what the bonus for finishing early is though. I did it, but I have no idea what the bonus was lol.

Check the statistics at turn 11. Damage dealt: 1519/1729.7 (210 less!!! UGH!)

Retinue:
Cavalry: 1 Elvish Outrider (RD), 1 Elvish Riders (RQ), 1 Paladin (SR), 1 Knight (RI)
Mages: Mermaid Priestess (RI), White Mage (IR), Elvish Druid (IR), Red mage (SR)
Loyal units:
Cavalry: 1 Grand Knight
Infantry: Outlaw, 3 Rogues, 1 Elvish Captain, 1 Elvish Archer
Mages: Mage of Light, Silver Mage, Mermaid Priestess
Attachments
HttT 7-8.zip
(46.15 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
HttT9_-_The_Valley_of_Death_-_The_Princess's_Revenge_replay.zip
(26.94 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
baruk

Post by baruk »

Gus wrote:I would be very interested in decent campaign play, annotations would be the cherry on the cake.

Come on! Tell us whose replays these were, the player involved may be interested in the feedback..

My "no losses" replay thread is here (on some really old version of wesnoth):
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 41&start=0

For what its worth, I don't save-scum these kinds of games. The idea is to test yourself, cheating would defeat the purpose of what you are doing. Perhaps there should be some kind of stickied "rules for single player challenge games" for those uninitiated into the roguelike-style "no saves" mindset. No save and reload, but infinite scenario restarts would seem to be appropriate for the campaign games.