WW1 Units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

Man they are great, give me the name of program that you are working with.
But how does they look in game??
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

I did them in Inkscape, because I'm far better at vector graphics than at pixelart, I don't claim it's a better or easier way at all, it is just easier for me...

I took a screenshot of some units in game, actually these are the only one implemented, and just to see how they look like in game, I still have to determine their characteristics...
Attachments
Capture-2.jpg
Capture-2.jpg (45.09 KiB) Viewed 6233 times
rubber.piggy

Post by rubber.piggy »

Yanshee wrote:I'm also wondering if I should add a man with the artillery, or just leave the canon alone... :?
As always, tell me what you think ! :wink:
I'm thinking yes, there should be a man with the cannon, standing behind it maybe. Maybe holding a canonball or a *what ever that thing is called that is used to stuff things down the barrel*.
"If at first you don't suceed, redefine sucess." - Anon
breversa

Post by breversa »

rubber.piggy wrote:Maybe holding a canonball or a *what ever that thing is called that is used to stuff things down the barrel*.
Shells have no longer been stufffed DOWN a barrel for a long time (except mortars) ! They are directly fed into the chamber of the gun.
French translation contributor
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Something I have thought would be very cool would be if someone did an art mod to make the battleground look a (suitably yellowed) paper battlemap rather than realistic terrain.

To me, your artwork resembles the sort of wooden miniatures that would be moved about such a mapboard.

Just a thought.
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

Hey Everyone ! No I'm not dead, and I'm still working on the era, but I've been quite busy these days. I'm really sorry for not giving news... :oops:
I've done some units graphics, which I'm posting here, and I've begun to work on the attack's icons, but I don't know if I should post these here or create a new thread for the icons, what do you think ? I've also begun to code the units config files, and I'm exploring WML, maps and scenarios creations,... and I'm realising that this is a lot, a lot, a lot of work, but this is another story, and this is for the era thread (though I won't be posting in it today, as I'm really tired...) I'm not too happy with some units, but as I mentionned this is so much work, that I'll revamp them later, otherwise the era will not be released until a few years... :P

PS: is there a limit to attachment, as I can't add attachment anymore, will have to double post, really sorry about that... :oops:
Attachments
German flamethrower
German flamethrower
gflamethrower.png (15.38 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
German Hauptmann
German Hauptmann
ghauptmann.png (15.38 KiB) Viewed 5953 times
German Jager
German Jager
gjager.png (15.38 KiB) Viewed 5953 times
German Sharpshooter
German Sharpshooter
gscharfeschutze.png (15.38 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
German Trench Raider
German Trench Raider
gtrenchraider.png (15.38 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

really sorry again for double posting... :oops:
Attachments
French Brancardier (red cross)
French Brancardier (red cross)
fbrancardier.png (15.38 KiB) Viewed 5944 times
French Hotchkiss (heavy machinegun)
French Hotchkiss (heavy machinegun)
fhotchkiss.png (15.38 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Double posting is fine in that sorta circumstance. Especially when the attachments look as awesome as these!
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

irrevenant wrote:Something I have thought would be very cool would be if someone did an art mod to make the battleground look a (suitably yellowed) paper battlemap rather than realistic terrain.

Just a thought.
you mean something kind of like this? -just turned the original version yellow.
Attachments
hills-variation1a.png
hills-variation1a.png (13.75 KiB) Viewed 5892 times
hunz

Post by hunz »

Try applying textures to the units, they should look more alive.

Nice topic. :)

Ah, why not a Grenadier / Light rifle guy?

Hugs.
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

Thanks a lot for the comments !!! :oops:

@Battlestar: I think he's thinking about something less realistic, terrains that would look more like tabletop games... Anyway, I still haven't really thought about the terrains actually, and I don't know how far it is possible to modify existing terrain, because this would require to modify all the existing terrain tiles. I'm not sure if I want to do that, but I'm sure I'd like to modify some kind of terrains (but as I said I don't know how possible it is...), particularly the building's one, not that I have something against the elvish villages and the castles, but they don't really fit a ww1 mood... Anyway, I'll see that later, or maybe if someone here wants to give it a try, you're welcome !!! :wink:

@Hunz: about the texture, I don't really get what you mean, if you mean adding fabric textures, for example, I don't think it would be a good idea as the graphics would become hard to distinguish, but I agree about the fact that the units should look a bit more alive, and I think that adding face details to the units (eyes and mouth mostly) as someone suggested earlier in this thread is a better idea, and I'll surely give it a try. About the grenadier, I've already done one, if you want to see what kind of units I plan to do, check the ww1 era thread in my signature. I'll first stick with those units, after testing maybe some units will change or disappear, depending on how well the teams are balanced... Anyway, ideas are always welcome (too bad my english vocabulary is not better, I always have the feeling to use "anyway" and "things are welcome" in my sentences... :? )

As nobody as answered me about the icons graphics (if I should post them in this thread or in a separated one...), I think I'll create another thread for them later today (if you think I'm flooding the forums with my ww1 threads tell it to me... :wink: )