Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

anupamsr

Post by anupamsr »

Hi! I downloaded wesnoth rc-3 (1.1.13), and got UTBS. Pardon me since I play it on an offline computer.

I have noticed that it is a little easier than 1.1.12. Is it true? (Or is it me playing it again?)

Also, in the scenario Blood is Thicker than Water, I am having a problem. I defeat the men and save three mermen too, then all these characters start talking about what has happened etc., and then suddenly the elvish druid (I don't remember her name) dies and I get a message informing me of my defeat. Is it because I am missing some mission objective or is it a bug?

Also, I save three mermen by turn 16 (?), but I get no information about what next. Saving three mermen by turn 16 remains my objective all the time.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

This sounds like a bug, but I cannot replicate it. Certainly Zhul's death should cause defeat, but she shouldn't die mid-dialogue. I suggest starting the scenario over, but if you still get the same bug, post a bug report about it and upload your save file from the start of the scenario. It's much easier to test when we have a save file to work from. Thanks.
anupamsr

Post by anupamsr »

Hi! Thanks for your response... I started the scenario again from 8th turn and everything went fine.

Weird bug! :) But not serious luckily for me.

And thanks for this campaign, this is the best, always tight and interesting.
gampleman

Post by gampleman »

anupamsr wrote:... then all these characters start talking about what has happened etc., and then suddenly the elvish druid (I don't remember her name) dies and I get a message informing me of my defeat. Is it because I am missing some mission objective or is it a bug?
This happened to me to, but I think it happens when you kill the avatar and in the same time you are standing on the statue of the druid. I tested it three times and she always died when I stood on the statue (but the testing was quite horrible due to the amount of dialog :-)
anupamsr

Post by anupamsr »

May be that is the case, though right I cannot check it.

It is strange you can stand on a statue :shock:
gampleman

Wierd bug

Post by gampleman »

anupamsr wrote:... then all these characters start talking about what has happened etc., and then suddenly the elvish druid (I don't remember her name) dies and I get a message informing me of my defeat. Is it because I am missing some mission objective or is it a bug?
This happened to me to, but I think it happens when you kill the avatar and in the same time you are standing on the statue of the druid. I tested it three times and she always died when I stood on the statue (but the testing was quite horrible due to the amount of dialog :-)
Maybe a good fix would be to make the statue unwalkable.
traverser

Post by traverser »

Maybe you could have her come to life in the place where Eloh died (guaranteed survival). I am almost there, but not far enough to know what happens. If Eloh speaks after her death than this is probably impossible.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Why not use a Desert Druid/Shyde/Star unit with the stone status on? Or was that feature removed from BFW 1.2?

It may be possible to place a special terrain under the unit too.
Lord Apolon

Post by Lord Apolon »

Just wanted to say I just played through the campaign. I was worried that, after having played so many older versions of Wesnoth, there would be nothing new and exciting left. And I thought no campaign could equal the Rise of Wesnoth. I was wrong. :P

Out of the Frying Pan is quite possibly the coolest scenario I've ever played in Wesnoth.

Great writing, great story, great gameplay, great fun allying with trolls (wow, dwarves are <i>hard!</i>), great everything. Thank you for making this campaign!
jeremywosborne

Thanks for a great fun

Post by jeremywosborne »

Hi,

I played through this campaign over my company's end of the year shutdown and loved it.

Thanks for the love you put into this game.

- Jeremy

PS. Now it's time to search the forums and figure out where I can contribute my time to making things even better.
Imp

Post by Imp »

I played the campaign on Challenging and, while I found some levels and features very enjoyable and inventive, some frustrated the heck out of me. I loved the first mission, the second mission was just annoying, the third mission was extremely enjoyable - fun and exciting! However, 4.Descending into Darkness, fighting the Northerners on the hills and then through cramped caves was not very fun, especially since I started with only 140 gold. 5.A Subterranean Struggle was very pleasant to play, 7.Out of the Frying Pan started interesting, but then we get outside and it became an impossible situation that forced me to abandon the campaign in disgust.

I strongly suggest splitting Out of the Frying Pan into two, as others have suggested - I was completely unprepared for the second part and was loathe to endure the first half again. In Challenging, the battle was simply impossible without save scumming - a LOT of save scumming, considering the odds - and I found that unacceptable. It might have been manageable with my handful of 8 soldiers without the messengers, but as it stands...

However, I like the messengers idea. It's just that in this case is taxes the player too much. Even with the stash of gold, I still had a negative balance in gold. If you end the scenario at the exit to the cave and start a new one, and add the stash, you can better control how much money the player gets.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Zhul should get stoned and unstoned correctly now.

Thanks for all the kind words, I really appreciate them.

Imp, I'm sorry that you had so much difficulty with Challenging. The balance probably is out of whack slightly on the higher difficulties. I strongly suggest you go back and try it on Normal. I understand what you want "Out of the Frying Pan" to be split up into two scenarios, but the campaign was designed to feature longer scenarios that kept you on your toes. Besides, with the huge amount of special events I have in my scenarios, splitting a scenario in half, redrawing the maps and setting all the new coordinates is a lot of work. I know becuase I did it with "A Subterranean Struggle". And right now I just don't have the time or energy to devote to such a task. I'll try to make scenario 8 a bit easier at the higher difficulties, but until then try Normal difficulty. I found it plenty hard enough.
Imp

Post by Imp »

All right, I'll give it another shot under "Normal" this time. I guess it was just really surprising, having a relatively easy time through the entire campaign (expected and calculated losses) and then being jolted by the hill orcs going into the caves and then by the overwhelming odds after leaving the cave - the first was tactically difficult, especially not knowing how much time to allocate for the caves, while in the second I had a pitifully small army and literally had to race my main characters over to cut off the messengers before they even appeared, and only then to arrive just in time to defeat the messenger leader and then get killed by his troops.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I understand that fighting the humans once you leave the caves may be too difficult. My thought had been that you are fighting on desert terrain which the desert elves are perfect for, so you have the tactical advantage. Perhaps slowing down how quickly the messenger appears would help. When I played through that scenario in normal I often felt that the humans weren't hard enough.
livingtarget

Post by livingtarget »

Yes, Out of the frying pan is hard. I guess getting stripped of the red mage storywise was rather tough. Barely get out of the tunnels and then get slaughtered by the humans and undead. That is on normal I think. Needless to say I just gave up by that point.

I think this level is just the turning point, the previous levels were all very tough and I barely got through them. Just don't have the time to replay this scenario.

I can deal with the humans, but the undead will just flank me and I'll die. Not to mention the messenger, I don't have the forces to cope. No lvl2/3 horses, no prowlers and only 60 gold at the end. The human recruites several swordsmen and longbowmen and several horsemen... Possible that I could win with a few changes, but not interested anymore.

Anyhow there's at least one typo. I think there may have been one more, but oh well. Kaleh says: "Keratur, son of Tanuil, what is Eloh's name are you doing here? ..." should be "what in Eloh's name".