Nagas and negative cold resist - Why?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Valo

Nagas and negative cold resist - Why?

Post by Valo »

I've been wondering why nagas have negative cold resist lately, and have seen some people talk about it a bit in different places, and I've just been wondering, why? I personally think that nagas should have resist against cold (mainly from their background). They are normally from the water, caves in water, and from the depths of the ocean, so they obviously should have cold resist, seeing as how they live in cold water. If there is any reason at all that they have negative cold resist that I'm missing, please point it out to me.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I think it's because they're reptiles, so they're cold blooded. and need warmth to survive.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Someone included it early on, and wesnoth is resistant to change. There is great inertia in wesnoth. Personally I don't think it makes sense balance wise, and I also think there are no compelling reasons to have it so unit concept wise. The unit concepts are so fungible anyway, and so many things don't make sense. In some ways cold blooded creatures handle cold better as they can go into low metabolism mode and remain alive, if warm blooded creatures run out of energy they freeze quickly.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Giayn-Blackwing

Re: Nagas and negative cold resist - Why?

Post by Giayn-Blackwing »

Valo wrote:They are normally from the water, caves in water, and from the depths of the ocean, so they obviously should have cold resist, seeing as how they live in cold water.
See the in-game help, there is a line there saying that nagas cant breath in water,thats why "deep water" is forbidden for them, and besides they are reptiles, and much alike saurians have weakness to cold. And IMHO, they prefer swamps to water :]
Giayn-Blackwing

[quote="Becephalus"] The unit concepts are so fungible anyway, and so many things don't make sense. [quote]

This may be off-topic, but IMO, almost every RPG has this problem:
Archers need Agility, and fighters strength. But wait a minute...
Exactly fighters need agility to dodge, and exactly archers need strength to use "strong" bows. Thats just a sucrifice of developers for ballance.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Totally, totally, totally OT: Blackwing, WHY does your avatar feature purple blood?? (For that matter, blood at all, or animated avvies, are sorta bad, but, mainly, I'm wondering about the purple blood.) :?
Giayn-Blackwing

I've got a B/W (monochrome) display :D

So i wasnt sure what colour i picked for the blood :(
appleide

Post by appleide »

Put a lizard in the fridge for 24 hours... its possible the lizard will still ve alive. Put a human in the fridge for 24 hours... I don't know how likely the human will survive....

If anything, reptiles should get RESISTANCE to cold, rather than weakness to it.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well, no, because that would mean the reptilian units enter hibernation on the field...
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
bert1

Post by bert1 »

Gus wrote:Well, no, because that would mean the reptilian units enter hibernation on the field...
Or torpor, of which hibernation is a prolonged period.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

appleide wrote:Put a lizard in the fridge for 24 hours... its possible the lizard will still ve alive. Put a human in the fridge for 24 hours... I don't know how likely the human will survive....

If anything, reptiles should get RESISTANCE to cold, rather than weakness to it.
This is the reason we see so many polar snakes or snakes in the northern waters of the oceans or snakes during snow and winter?

Warm blooded animals have the advantage to stay active in cold weather.

I think cold disadvantage is fine is you assume that the nagas live in warm coastal water or tropical swamps.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

If you take off "historic" or whatever contexts, such as legends, being snakes or not, cold blooded or warm blodded, you'll notice its still a disadvantage for nagas - the mermen dont have this, they got resistance to it, and I dont find it fair personally. A merman has a lot more resistance against a ghost for example, than a naga has. Why? Balance issues? Or just contextual purposes such as being warm / cold blooded?
JW

Post by JW »

Just remove the negative resistance already.
Motrax

Post by Motrax »

Becephalus wrote:Someone included it early on, and wesnoth is resistant to change.quickly.
should be developers are resistant to change...
unless its a changing a gryphon rider picture into a dwarf in a canooe...
Gryphon riders should look like gryphons with a dwarf on its back not a badger or dwarf in a canooe!
Imp

Post by Imp »

Motrax wrote:
Becephalus wrote:Someone included it early on, and wesnoth is resistant to change.quickly.
should be developers are resistant to change...
unless its a changing a gryphon rider picture into a dwarf in a canooe...
Bwahahahaha! :-D