New Asheviere Sprite

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

New Asheviere Sprite

Post by Jetrel »

An update of the now-rather-archaic current image (which you can see on the far left).

Notes:
• Spriting curly hair is quite hard to do.
• This hasn't yet been committed.
• The size on this should be about right compared to "similar units". She does have somewhat of a heroic scale against most L1 units, but it's been planned and executed that all L3 units do, so that's a feature, not a bug.
Attachments
NewAsheviereSprite.png
NewAsheviereSprite.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Nice, the only problem I want to point out is that, Kalenz, being an elf, seems to short, since the elves should be about 2-3 pixels taller then your average human.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

The boots on the middle left character (sorry on the names, rusty on my campaigining as of late ;)) look more like plated boots from any of the given loyalist units. I don't mean in terms of coloration, but style. It's not a big deal, just something you might want to reconsider before commiting.
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Krispos wrote:The boots on the middle left character (sorry on the names, rusty on my campaigining as of late ;))
rofflez. Image

I can't really give that a dignified response.
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Oh come on, what is he, Prince of Wesnoth or something? I have yet to finish a campaign :cry: not my fault I never got hooked on them...
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Amateurs built the Ark
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Krispos wrote:Oh come on, what is he, Prince of Wesnoth or something?
Actually..
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The top half of the sprite is good. But I don't really like how she's taller than both Konrad and Kalenz. Women tend to be shorter than men by several inches, not the other way round.

I realize Asheviere is standing up straight while Konrad and Kalenz are sort of crouched down in a fighting stance, but even taking that into account she seems too big to me.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

<.<....>.>.... ...Konrad...?...
Amateurs built the Ark
Gus

Post by Gus »

Krispos wrote:<.<....>.>.... ...Konrad...?...
Right on ;)
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Oh! What now?! I so knew that from the start, I was just playing with ya 8)... :lol:
Amateurs built the Ark
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

It's a nice improvement.
Being taller than Konrad doesn't bother me, because she is the end-level boss so to speak.

The calmness of her pose does throw me off a bit, i imagine in battle she'd be raging, shaking her fist in the air or something. She doesn't look evil.

I also don't think the cut-away dress meshes much with royalty. I know it's in the original, but to me it's about one step more plausible than the armored bikini that we've so far kept out of Wesnoth.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Which is more dangerous do you suppose, a raging bear, or the guy who just poisoned your water with out you knowing it? Your enemy being calm is much harder to fight than one who you can read through anger.
Amateurs built the Ark
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Having both of her feet pointed at the same direction (yes, it's a rather normal standing pose, but still) bothers me a bit. It makes it look a bit like she'd be standing on her toes. Therefore, I'd suggest rotating her right foot a bit to her right, or her left foot a bit to her left. A bit wider stance (instead of having the legs together) might work too, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

Otherwise, looks good. :)
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

I'd say the upper legs should be a pixel or two further apart, and (her) right foot should be pointed directly to the bottom of the image. I also agree with Eleazar that she should be wearing something more 'regal-looking', it's not really becoming of a queen to go about her kingdom with her knickers on show! Other than that, I really like it - very nice job on the hair!
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Bad_Dog

Post by Bad_Dog »

I think it's a great improvement.

I don't mind that she's tall, it's not a gross exaggeration, anyway.

But I do agree with Eleazar that she just doesn't look all that evil. Maybe our hero surprised her while she was in the garden sniffing roses and reading love sonnets?? :lol:

Seriously though, when I first saw her, I thought for a second she was one of the good guys. I haven't completed the campaign yet, so I didn't know any better until I read on...

BTW, I am *so* impressed with the graphics in Wesnoth 1.2, accolades all around!