WW1 Units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Greek Maniac

Post by Greek Maniac »

I believe these new units look like they're took from a board game!
Don't go to Greece because a maniac will kill you...
rubber.piggy

Post by rubber.piggy »

I like the 'toyish' style and I like the animations. I know they are just tests, but would it look good to have one drop to one knee to fire his weapon??

The frcrapouillot's helmet makes him look like a builder/engineer. Is that suposed to be??
"If at first you don't suceed, redefine sucess." - Anon
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

rubber.piggy wrote:I like the 'toyish' style and I like the animations. I know they are just tests, but would it look good to have one drop to one knee to fire his weapon??

The frcrapouillot's helmet makes him look like a builder/engineer. Is that suposed to be??
Thanks, about the animations, you're right, it would be cool to have one droping a knee while firing, but I'll see that later as I'm actually focusing on making the base images of each unit. About the crapouillot's helmet, it's the same helmet as the poilu, I just moved it a bit to seem to be more on the back of his head(dunno, if I'm clear... :? ). Do you find it wrong ?

I reworked a bit the tail of the Breguet, and I think it looks better now, tell me what ou think. Also, I did 3 new french units: the genie(engineer), the zouave, and the chasseur cycliste. I'm not too happy with the zouave, though...

I was also thinking that I need a name for the era, WW1 era doesn't sound that good... :lol: I didn't had much inspiration about it, was thinking things like: mud and steel( :? ), no man's land... So if ever you have a great idea for a name, please help me ! :wink:
Attachments
Breguet: reworked tail
Breguet: reworked tail
frbreguet.png (5.09 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
chasseur cycliste: bicycle unit
chasseur cycliste: bicycle unit
frchasseurcycliste.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
Genie (engineer)
Genie (engineer)
frgenie.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 5409 times
Zouave: not too good, is it ?
Zouave: not too good, is it ?
frzouave.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Yanshee wrote:I was also thinking that I need a name for the era, WW1 era doesn't sound that good... :lol: I didn't had much inspiration about it, was thinking things like: mud and steel( :? ), no man's land... So if ever you have a great idea for a name, please help me ! :wink:
How 'bout "Western Front"?

And those units look lovely btw :)
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Would you like the name to have a German perspective to it, something along the lines of Festung Europa, or something to do with the Western Front, but still German? Currently, I think Western Front sounds best so far and is fitting, but it wouldn't include Russia and so on, in the total since they were on the Eastern Front (Ostfront).
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

West wrote: How 'bout "Western Front"?
Yeah that sounds nice, and I like it as it sounds a bit like Wesnoth (hope you see what I mean... :wink: ), but as Oreb pointed, the problem is that's too restrictive for the factions, as I'm planning to implement Russians too... I don't know about a german name, as I'm not german myself, if it sounds fine it can be in german, but I was searching for something more "international", something common to all nations, that's why I thought about no man's land, as I think that all soldiers from all countries were using this word (not sure about it, though... :? ), I would like the name not to be too restrictive, and to be quite significant of the conflict, like I proposed: mud and steel (but that's a really bad idea, it's just an exemple... :P ). But truly, I don't really know, I'm open to all suggestions ! :wink:
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

The Great War.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

'Mud, Sweat and Blood.'

Hmm, a bit corny. Meaglin's idea is better.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Based on a little wikipedia diving:

"To End All Wars"
"War of the Nations"
"Fields of Poppy"
"Storm of Steel"
Gus

Post by Gus »

In France, this war, once over, was called "La Der des Der", a "popular" abbreviation for "La dernière des dernières", which roughly means "The last of the last, the very last one", because people hoped this horror would never happen again.

I'm aware it's not very international, and probably don't make much sense for non-French speakers, but... well, maybe it'll be used in the translation anyway...
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

We called it "the war to end all wars", the theme of nobody wanting another war like it was common throught europe, and many other parts of the world that were effected.
Gus

Post by Gus »

So it's as Darth Fool proposed then. I like this name, and if it is meaningful for English people as well, then i think it's quite fitting.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:The Great War.
That sounds really fine too, but there's already an era called Great War... :?

"to end all wars" seems a bit long to me, no ?! But I really like Storm of Steel, I think it's the best proposition so far (and it has a nice abreviation: SoS :wink: ). I'd personally go with that name, Storm of Steel, what do you think guys ?
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

All Loud on the Western Front?
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

To go off Storm of Steel, how about Metal Storm. Though they sounds more futuristic to me. And you'd be suprised what it comes up with in Wikipedia.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm