Westeros monthly 6p FFA

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Westeros monthly 6p FFA

Post by Becephalus »

Well after the positive responses I have gotten to the first game (other than jb :) ) I have decided to run a monthly 6p westeros FFA. The biggest complaint about this type of game is that it is too long (which is true). So I would like to take a board game mentality and break it up into sessions.

Some things I think will be fun about it:

1) FFA over such a timetable leaves time for negotiation and espionage between sessions. You can talk to people try to figure out what exactly is going on etc.

2) It will allow you to play Wesnoth on a grander more "warlike" scale. Armies will be very large. Battles can drag on for several turns of attrition and have a more epic feel.

3) It will allow for some different and interesting strategic decisions. Obviously negotiation and temporary alliances become very important. And on such a large playing field troops may get several turns out of position, not just 1 or 2.

4) It will be a chance to really have a good time and bond with a group of like minded Wesnothians! With added fun for those who love the westeros universe.

Some things to take under advisement:

1) You will almost certainly be backstabbed at least once, so do not pout about it. You should not ever fully trust anyone, as everyone in the end wans you dead. This is a FFA and the making and breaking of alliances are it's bread an butter. With good FFA players there is always an awareness of the balance of power and an attempt to combine against players who threaten to become too strong.

2) The goal of the game is to win and you should always keep that in mind. Being a complete minion of someone who is in a very strong position will be frowned upon. Executing suicide attacks against players unless your situation is completely hopeless is also discouraged. Of course there is a lot of room for error here as players will be manipulated. But comments like "I don't care about winning I just want Kollle to die" are not going to be seen as sportsmanlike, and may cause your people to rise agaisnt you (i.e. you will be replaced).

Some rules to consider:

1) You will be expected to show for 3 or 4 hours of playing at the agreed upon time (to be determined by the players). It may be possible to send a sub if you cannot be there but this will be frowned upon.

2) You will also be expected to NOT peek at enemy movements through loading the savegame. I am dead serious about this although obviously there is little to no way to enforce it. This is a game and if you are going to cheat what si the point in playing. Really think about it...

3) While table talk will be encouraged due to the general length of the games it will be hope that players play with a modicum of speed during their turn. That said the game will take a long time and there will be much time waiting for others turns. You should be prepared for witty banter. Players will be expected to participate in the game verbally. No mutes welcome :)

Anyway thats a lot of stuff and there is probably more, but I don't want to sound like a complete prick :0 . Anyway so far for the first game there are two players with a tenative third.

Becephalus
Chameleon_Effect
Kollle???
Swordprince (Kirit)
Noy

This is NOT a first come first serve basis. Preference will be given to reliable people I know Lawton? Anyway hope everyone is having a good day. :)
Last edited by Becephalus on December 5th, 2006, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Gus

Post by Gus »

Of course, you WILL make the time public so that a horde of spectators can come in and watch that piece of epic fighting, and replays for those unfortunate enough to not have been available at the time it happened.

Right? =)
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

This is such a good idea I may download the current version of Wesnoth jsut to spectate. Props for this and your earlier threads.

Maybe the King in the North can win this time!
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Noy will also be playing with us :)
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

For the sake of curiosity, what settings do you play with?

(If I ever get reasonably skilled at MP, I may join one of these in the future.)
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

1gpv 70%

Last game towards the end game the winner had maybe 9 lvl 2 a near lvl 3 and 60 villages/40 units?
Aiua

Post by Aiua »

Faction of the winner ?
C'est dans ton vomis qu'on vois que t'as trop bu...
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

Becephalus, I would be highly interessted in participating in such a game.

Where do you live? Regarding time zones. The map looks great and the I love diplomacy and backstabbing.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I also would be intrested in playing, assuming that the timeing is right of course.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
telly

Post by telly »

Yeah sounds like fun, count me in if theres a slot going.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Aiua wrote:Faction of the winner ?
That is a secret until the AAR is done. Do you have a guess?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Becephalus wrote:
Aiua wrote:Faction of the winner ?
That is a secret until the AAR is done. Do you have a guess?
Lord Becephalus of Casterly Rock I bet :-P
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Gus

Post by Gus »

Taurus wrote: Lord Becephalus of Casterly Rock I bet :-P
You really want in, huh? =P
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Noy will also be playing with us
Actually its Supreme Commander Noy

or for our spanish players.

Supremo Commandante Noyesco *

Supreme Commander Noy makes no promises this is spanish in the least
Gus

Post by Gus »

Noy wrote: Supreme Commander Noy makes no promises this is spanish in the least
Spanish enough