Traitor's Island 2v2 (Version 5)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Traitor's Island 2v2 (Version 5)

Post by Sapient »

I'm looking for feedback on this crazy little map. It is an attempt to recreate an old 2v2 map that I enjoyed a lot. If you know the old one, please post it.

Be aware that this map plays very differently than it looks, so don't offer any critiques until you've had a chance to test it on MP, please.

(edit - version 5)
[map]W

c c cc
ccgcgcccTcc
c?UcTmGTIcTcc
cchTGI]Gl]EahIPcc
cDIGXggggggggh1Ic
c32GggggqggXGGI4c
cwPJTTa]c]DTIJwUc
ccIIhcgfcgTcccc
ccc ccccc

W[/map]

Teams are 1 and 4 vs 2 and 3
The settings are 70% EXP and Age of Heroes era
Each side should have 50 starting gold.

(Note: if you use Default era on this map Northerners are considered weak and Drakes slightly too powerful. It is balanced for Age of Heroes.)

Have Fun!
Attachments
4p_Traitors_Island.cfg
version 5
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Last edited by Sapient on December 9th, 2006, 11:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
JW

Post by JW »

Go Rebels!! (Haven't playtested)
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Just looking at that map, my crazy talk alarm is going BEEP BEEP BEEP!
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

ok then.... :)
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Really Interesting Map, when I played it, nothing bad really happened.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
new

Post by new »

This isn't a symmetric map :evil: and the map is to small :evil: .
(stupid map, sry)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

It's supposed to be a crazy little map. That's the whole point... anyways--

If team1 gets the same number of villages as team2 and they have equal defensive/offensive opportunities, then the map doesn't have to be symmetric! In other words, the map is intentionally asymmetric. Nonetheless, I may have to adjust a few hexes to normalize defensive/offensive opportunities.

Mainly, I am interested to know if there are any faction problems. Are undead too weak? Are Rebels overpowered? You don't know for sure until you test it. As I said, the map plays differently than it looks. Glancing at it and calling it stupid doesn't really help me. I'm sure you mean well, though.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
JW

Post by JW »

new wrote:This isn't a symmetric map :evil: and the map is to small :evil: .
(stupid map, sry)
Totally not helpful. At all.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I have played it against AI. I was Dwarves the AI Rebels. Well, usually I do beat the AI easily, even if it gets the double amount of money but here I have really had difficulties.
There is forest in key positions, forest near to villages, forest everywhere. Not a single hill/mountain hex near the middle, just next to the castles where no fight will never take place. I suggest changing at least 2 of the central forest hexes to hills and 1 to mountain.

Generally I think it's an interesting concept, although it might take quite a while with 100 starting gold so I think that 25 is more than enough here.
Sapient wrote:Glancing at it and calling it stupid doesn't really help me.
I think I will translate this to German to make sure some users understand it:
"Lediglich einen kurzen Blick auf die Karte zu werfen und sie dann dumm zu heißen, hilft mir kaum weiter."
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
new

Post by new »

JW wrote:
new wrote:This isn't a symmetric map :evil: and the map is to small :evil: .
(stupid map, sry)
Totally not helpful. At all.
Yes, sure. But when this his first created map is, then it isn't too bad ^^. I think the baddest of the map is, that you can only one soldier recruit pro turn, when the other go away. Also: More castle terrain, map must be symmetric and balancing and a little be bigger when it go.

That was all. :)
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

This is actually much more balanced than 99 percent of the maps that users post on the forums. (I guess this is saying more about the general balance of user maps than this particular map's balance, but really, this one is not really all that bad.)

New, you ought not to comment on other people's maps- I've never seen anything from you that was even remotely balanced for any combination of the factions. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's awfully presumptuous of you to be calling someone else's map "stupid."

Yes, Undead and Drakes will need a bit of a hand up- It's going to be tricky getting it right for the Drakes, as they don't have very far to run. Perhaps more sand, perhaps another lava hex or two. I'd also cut some forest, and add at least two mountains.

I've seen this concept before, where one leader has to move off of his starting hex for the other leader to recruit, and I do like it- It's very fun and playful. :)
Last edited by Doc Paterson on December 1st, 2006, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Doc Paterson wrote: New, you ought not to comment on other people's maps- I've never seen anything from you that was even remotely balanced for any combination of the factions. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's awfully presumptuous of you to be calling someone else's map "stupid."
New, do solltest nicht die Karten anderer kommentieren - I habe noch nie irgendetwas von dir gesehen, dass auch nur im Entferntesten für irgendeine Kombination von Fraktionen ausbalanciert war. Es tut mir leid wenn dies hart klingt, aber es ist schrecklich überheblich von dir, die Karten eines anderen "dumm" zu nennen.
It's so comfortable just to sit there and quote and never take the responsibility for the flame war :twisted:
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Doc Paterson wrote: Yes, Undead and Drakes will need a bit of a hand up- It's going to be tricky getting it right for the Drakes, as they don't have very far to run. Perhaps more sand, perhaps another lava hex or two. I'd also cut some forest, and add at least two mountains.
Believe it or not, I tried it with drakes and they did just fine. The advantage of drakes is that you can recruit a powerful, expensive unit each turn.

I'm more concerned about Undead.

Thanks for the feedback.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Sapient wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: Yes, Undead and Drakes will need a bit of a hand up- It's going to be tricky getting it right for the Drakes, as they don't have very far to run. Perhaps more sand, perhaps another lava hex or two. I'd also cut some forest, and add at least two mountains.
Believe it or not, I tried it with drakes and they did just fine. The advantage of drakes is that you can recruit a powerful, expensive unit each turn.

I'm more concerned about Undead.

Thanks for the feedback.
In regards to Drakes doing fine- I think that'd depend greatly on their leader and/or teammate faction. Yes, they can recruit expensive units, and that'll help against Undead, but Loys can still pull Horsemen to finish half-HP drakes almost anywhere on the map (and of course it's more expensive than any Drake unit).

The map is nice and fun like I said, but it's never going to be perfectly balanced, as we obviously don't balance factions on a one-unit per turn basis, and assume a normal (full/multiple) recruit. You'll also likely have a much higher than normal ratio of wild games, with there being fewer total combats.

EDIT- I'd also recommend taking those fort hexes away from their village-adjacent spots. Again probably too rough for Drakes against Loys.

Some testing with Double Loy vs. Double Drake might be good.
Last edited by Doc Paterson on December 1st, 2006, 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Ardonik

Re: Traitor's Island 2v2

Post by Ardonik »

Sapient wrote:I'm looking for feedback on this crazy little map. It is an attempt to recreate an old 2v2 map that I enjoyed a lot. If you know the old one, please post it.
Are you referring to Rhuvaen's Island of Fury? The teams are also 1 and 4 vs. 2 and 3.

[map]
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWcccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWcnn1cWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWcnDc\nccWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWccndwfGkcWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWZGmGhGFYkccWWWWWWW
WWWWWWscGIUGGSmHcrcWWWWWW
WWWcccZGkkkkHQSGrfn\ccWWW
WWcnnnGmdhfkkcLfGYwc3ncWW
WWcnDcwYGfGcckGhGmwnDncWW
WWcc4\wfGGLQkkfkdGGcnccWW
WWWWcWnrrHSSHGkIkcZWcWWWW
WWWWWWccckmFGhUmGZsWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWcWYkGfGdGcWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWccGnwcnncWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWcW\2DncWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWccnccWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcWWWWWWWW
[/map]

It's a fun little map, even at 1 gold per village. I'd love to see it included in the main distribution.