WW1 era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yanshee

WW1 era

Post by Yanshee »

Hello People !
I'm planning of creating a World War 1 era for Wesnoth, but that's the first time I try to do this, and I've got only rough ideas at the moment. I've already posted some unit art which you can see here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14015. Fror the moment, I'm only focusing on two factions, the french and the germans, but I plan on doing other countries as well. I still absolutely no ideas about unit's characteristics, but I've already did a first try at the evolution trees of these armies. I'm surely doing errors, so don't hesitate to tell me what seems wrong to you and to correct me. I've got also some ideas, but I don't know Wesnoth's WML enough at the moment to know what is possible and what's not.

The blue evotree is for the french army, it doesn't have any airplanes at the moment as I still have to document myself on planes of this time... I thought also of calling the units in their mother language: french unit's name are in french, german's in german,... Don't if it's a good idea, tell me what you think about it...

The grey tree is for the german army, it doesn't include any artilery and aviation either, and is less complete afctually than the french's one...

That's it, all your help/advices/comments are really welcome ! :)
Attachments
French evolution tree
French evolution tree
Francetree.png (14.86 KiB) Viewed 7976 times
German evolution tree
German evolution tree
Germantree.png (8.74 KiB) Viewed 7977 times
Temuchin Khan

Re: WW1 era

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Yanshee wrote:I'm planning of creating a World War 1 era for Wesnoth
I like the idea. I think I could have a lot of fun with such an era -- especially once you get around to making Austria-Hungary and the USA (I'm half American and half Austrian).
Yanshee wrote:I thought also of calling the units in their mother language: french unit's name are in french, german's in german,... Don't if it's a good idea, tell me what you think about it...
Here's what we did when me made the Lavinian Legion: level one units have English names, some level twos and all level threes have Latin names.

You could do something similar: level ones have English names, level two have French or German or Russian names (except, of course, for English and American units)

Anyway, good luck with this project!
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: WW1 era

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Here's what we did when me made the Lavinian Legion: level one units have English names, some level twos and all level threes have Latin names.

You could do something similar: level ones have English names, level two have French or German or Russian names (except, of course, for English and American units)
That certainly makes things more intuitive for first time users.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

how about keeping the names in their mother tongue as now and adding a "date" used to signal their levels, like: infanterie 1914 -> poilu 1916 -> poilu gaz 1918 ? :?
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Just some random things I noticed at the German units:

- As far as I know it is "Grenadier", not "Granatier", even if it is a French word and it's "Granate" in German. At least I have never heard the word Granatier before and also googled it with no really results (while getting a lot for Grenadier)

- I think "Sniper" sounds a bit wrong since you use the German word "Jäger". I suggest calling it "Scharfschütze".
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

Thanks for the translation Baufo, if you could help me translate the name of the german units, that would be great as I don't speak german myself ! :wink:

Also I changed a bit the evotree of the french army, this time I added the aviation, tell me what you think of it...
Attachments
French evolution tree
French evolution tree
Francetree.png (20.23 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
rubber.piggy

Post by rubber.piggy »

Sounds great! Are you going to create a 'trench' terrain type?
"If at first you don't suceed, redefine sucess." - Anon
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

rubber.piggy wrote:Sounds great! Are you going to create a 'trench' terrain type?
Yes, and I plan also to do some other sorts of terrain, like barbed wire, but actually I'm only focusing on the German and the French faction, so it gets playable asap, and I still have a lots of units to do, and writing down their characteristics (there you can help me a lot ! :wink: ), so I guess I won't be working on terrain before long. And still about terrain, I had this idea, but don't know if it's a good or a dumb one, or if it's even possible: engineers would modify the terrain in game so they can dig trenches and drop barbed wire, they could also remove them. But actually I have no clue about how to do this, I don't know if it's possible to modify the terrain ingame, maybe using trenches and barbed wire like if they were objects ? And I don't know if it's possible to make units attack empty hex, since that's the only solution I can think of to make the engineers act on terrain type.. But maybe it's also a dumb idea, tell me what you think of it. Anyway, I won't be working on it in the few weeks to come, I'm just throwing an idea here... :wink:
new

Post by new »

By the germans WW1 soldiers, there is what wrong! The meaning of "Infantry"! The right meaning in german is "Infantrie"!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

hmm... I actually thought of a way to raise the select event in MP without causing OOS. This would make it easier to lay trenches, etc. I'll let you know once I have a warking prototype.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Sapient wrote:hmm... I actually thought of a way to raise the select event in MP without causing OOS. [...] I'll let you know once I have a warking prototype.
I don't care if you get that warking or wonking. Do this fabulous feat! 8)
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Is the code still in for the old Canyon (the ugly one that had to be a line to actually look correct)?
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

new wrote:By the germans WW1 soldiers, there is what wrong! The meaning of "Infantry"! The right meaning in german is "Infantrie"!
You better ignore this guy...
Infantry is obviously a correct English word and in German it is Infanterie not Infantrie.

Another thing is that it is Oberstleutnant, not Oberleutnant.
Also Sturmtrupper sounds wrong, maybe simply Sturmsoldat?
Lancer could be Lanzenreiter and Amored Car could be Panzerwagen.

I don't know how to call Trench Raider in German (I had to look it up on the Wikipedia to find out what it was), I don't think there is a word for it.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Baufo wrote:

I don't know how to call Trench Raider in German (I had to look it up on the Wikipedia to find out what it was), I don't think there is a word for it.
"Grabenkämpfer" ?

Though that wasn't actual a official formation. As I recall they were called "Sturmpioniere".
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

Sapient wrote:hmm... I actually thought of a way to raise the select event in MP without causing OOS. This would make it easier to lay trenches, etc. I'll let you know once I have a warking prototype.
That would be really great !!! Thanks ! :D
btw, what do you mean by OOS ?

and thanks for the help in translation Baufo and Wayfarer, I'll do the corrections ! :wink: