Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Dwarvish Treasure and other scenarios- dungeon units

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I'll post it in art contributions for now, because I'm awesome;

I'm working on a full set of random creeps ranging from insignificantly weak to godly in strenght that can be used instead of boring normal units for critter-based scenarios (and campaigns perhaps)

The current monsters are hardly sufficient to allow for a good variety of opponents as mudcrawlers are pretty much the only ones around that can be considered of "normal" strenght (and who made them?)

And ofcourse some excessively powerfull units that make the armageddon drake seem like a pansy are needed aswell; with nearly all dungeon-based scenarios comming with insane powerups;

gazer: level 1 'beholder"-esque dungeon creep, balanced with both a good melee and ranged attack, ranged possibly magical-cold

imp: level 0 dungeon creep, rather fast with a pierce or blade claw melee attack and a relatively weak fire breath for ranged; should appear a lot

Skeletal Demon: I'd say a level 2 creep, it lacks a ranged attack but is resist to nearly everything but blunt and holy; and has a devestating drain-blade melee attack.

Satyr: a quick skirmisher with good evasion (60-70 I'd say); I'd say satyr are more special-based, so will come with evil status effects or something.

- Furthermore, I'd really like to hear everyone's suggestions for creep designs, keep in mind that there should be a great variety in resistances, damage types and other stats to keep it balanced;

currently you can't possibly get far in Dwarvish Treasure with a Dark Adept, due to the bats and walking corpses.
Attachments
creep-example.PNG
creep-example.PNG (3.53 KiB) Viewed 9682 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Every dungeon needs rats. I imagine they would be L0, low HP, good dodge, and perhaps a poisoned bite.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

That sounds like a good swarm-creature.

"rats"

-edit-

made a "rats" unit,

also look at the cool comparison between my old skeletal dragon and the new skeletal demon, improvement or what? :wink:
Attachments
creep-example.PNG
creep-example.PNG (5.69 KiB) Viewed 9661 times
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Dungeons also need worms, mushrooms, and snakes.

Worms = icky swarming things.
Mushrooms = cannot move, lots of status effects
Snakes = several colors and varieties, mostly poison, some slow, differing resistances.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

I think blobs are important, rats and blobs both have a long history in gaming as being rubbish weak creatures that rubbish weak people kill.

That being said blobs are a bit stupid as well, but i'm such Neorice can design some cool one that can lurk around amoung mushrooms and slimey cave corners.

p.s. That skeletal demon is tres magnifique
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

most awesome unit ever

Post by Neoriceisgood »

There it's done, this is a good example of what to expect for the really "zomg unfair"-powerfull creeps, that are really only for use in those weird stat-boost scenarios.

Added the currently biggest units for comparison.
Attachments
wesnoth-big-demon.PNG
wesnoth-big-demon.PNG (16.94 KiB) Viewed 9617 times
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Looks zomg awesome. And this is intended to be a regulary spawning creep? Scary!
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Nah, this is obviously a guardian of somekind; having multiple of those moving around would be too insane :)
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Looks awesome, though I'm tempted to denounce it as too big.

Can't quite tell what s going on with his left hand...
Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

They are so awesome that I had to make up a new euphemism for the f-word to describe their awesomidity.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Pic wrote:I think blobs are important, rats and blobs both have a long history in gaming as being rubbish weak creatures that rubbish weak people kill.

That being said blobs are a bit stupid as well, but i'm such Neorice can design some cool one that can lurk around amoung mushrooms and slimey cave corners.
You mean like the gelatinous hex? http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9617
Of course, I have faith that NR could actually do a good job on it unlike my comedic hack. But seriously, dungeon creeps are cool. Some things that could really be cool for dungeon type scenarios:

bat swarms. Yeah we already have giant bats, but a swarm of small bats would be cool. swarm + drain = nasty.

giant spiders and webbed cavern terrain. Current spider graphic is IIRC lacking.

mechanical traps. Invisibility in cave terrain. 0 mv. High damage low number of hits, low number of HP.

Giant worms. Think dune or tremors. Big enough to dig their own tunnels. Has mining ability. Heck, maybe has improved mining ability where it changes the cave wall into a cave without using up all of its movepoints.

Blobs/gelatinous hexes/etc... Slow + drain attack. If damaged (by anything but fire) blobs spawns a copy of itself in empty adjacent hex with hp = the amount of damage the blob took. Low xp required for a full heal
amla.

lava wyrms. Weak to cold dmg strong against fire. powerful fire/impact melee attack. Move fast through lava. medium on caves. Can not enter water.

Lava dragon. Giant creature. In fact, you only see its head/neck and maybe claws sticking out of the lava except when it strikes. Only moves in lava and hence can only attack hexes adjacent to or in lava. Devestating damage, high hitpoints. Best bet is to avoid it at all costs. Useful in scenarios where you are expected NOT to be able to destroy all creatures but rather are fleeing/sneaking to some exitway.

Cave Maw. Think Empire Strikes Back asteroid creature. Enter at your own peril. Maybe more of a terrain feature than a creature, but heck...

I am sure I can think up more if you like these...
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

How about some golem guards?
Gargoyles?
Imps and demons?
Mummies?
Will'o'the'wisps?
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

No, no, no what you need it DEFEATED ZOMBIES!

From all those old zombie battles. Chopping a zombie in half dosn't quite kill it does it?
What about all of then zombie halfs dragging themselves along mindlessly, or all of them other lopped off bits and bobs that wern't put in the army stew pot?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

The Gazer should have ranged Backstab. Possibly both backstab and magical on the same attack.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Darth Fool
I like the bat swarm and lava wyrm;

however I'm not sure about all those other monster ideas, as they appear to require new abillities/heavy wml stuff, which doesn't make for happy neo.