Unit descriptions - What is needed?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Wow, that's alot of work. If you are fine with it, you can do the Sidhe. Since the majority of the descriptions are 2 lines. If not, for each units history is slowly being fleshed out. With the wanderer's just being completed a couple of days ago. So the majority of the descriptions are open if you'd like to do them.

If you are fine I'll post all the units and the basic outline of each tree and their history, and if you want their cfg files.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Saurians.

The whole skirmisher line has basically identical descriptions, and even the augur has the exact same "despite their lethargic cold-blooded heritage", "relative frailty" and "are valued as" phrases in its description. Soothsayer and oracle are a bit better, but they could be improved too.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

"Saurian Skirmishers are skilled in the use of the spear. Despite their lethargic cold blooded heritage, and their relative frailty, they are highly valued as scouts as they can navigate through rough terrain and around opponents. The best Skirmishers go on to become Saurian Ambushers.
"Saurian Ambushers have continued to improve in their use of the spear. Despite sharing the same weaknesses as skirmishers, they are equally swift of foot, skittering over the surfaces of swamps and slithering over sand to surprise unwary foes who put too much trust in their line of battle. The best Ambushers go on to become Saurian Flankers.
"Saurian Flankers live up to their name. Crafty and quick, they are capable of slipping through enemy lines, ignoring terrain that would slow a human to a crawl. Once past, their skill with a spear enables them to capitalize on their position, engaging troops that the enemy might have preferred be left alone on their side of the lines of battle. A few Flankers around the back of an enemy formation can wreak havoc.
Still somewhat busy, but I'm in a Wesnothian mood, so I've been doing Spacenoth configs and reviewing the lists here.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Cool. The Saurian descriptions have always bugged me.

Nitpick: the repeated "of" sounds a little awkward.

"...on their side of the lines of battle."
Would sound better as:
"...on their side of the battle lines."
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

What does everyone else think? What work do these need to be committed?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
JW

Post by JW »

When you get the Elemental descriptions done I'll add them to the EOM.
Lathai

Post by Lathai »

A little specific, but in the skirmisher description, maybe saying "...as they can easily navigate..." rather than just "...as they can navigate..."

Also, and this is more of an opinion thing, I personally don't think the last Flanker sentence is needed, but that doesn't mean it should be taken out.

In any case, they're an vast improvement over the current descriptions.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

*waves flag for devs*

Anyone around to pass judgement on this?

(The last sentence of the Flankers is there for a reason; describing how effective they are in their certain situation. A hint for new players, as well as a descriptor of how good they are at what they do.)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Anyone around to pass judgement on this?
Looks ok. If I had to force something to be changed, then I'd probably move the "skittering over the surfaces of swamps and slithering over sand to surprise unwary foes" part of the ambusher to the skirmisher, and add something new for the ambusher to replace it. That part just seemed like such a fundamental thing about the whole unit line that I felt it would be best for the lvl1 skirmisher to have it.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Ok, I'll get to that after my Psych exam.

(Roughly 1600h, EST)

Quote:
"Saurian Skirmishers are skilled in the use of the spear. Despite their lethargic cold blooded heritage, and their relative frailty, they are highly valued as scouts as they can navigate through rough terrain and around opponents, skittering over the surfaces of swamps and slithering over sand to surprise unwary foes who put too much trust in their line of battle. The best Skirmishers go on to become Saurian Ambushers.

Quote:
"Saurian Ambushers have continued to improve in their use of the spear. Despite sharing the same weaknesses as skirmishers, they are equally swift of foot, and even more deadly with their chosen weapon. The best Ambushers go on to become Saurian Flankers.

Quote:
"Saurian Flankers live up to their name. Crafty and quick, they are capable of slipping through enemy lines, ignoring terrain that would slow a human to a crawl. Once past, their skill with a spear enables them to capitalize on their position, engaging troops that the enemy might have preferred be left alone on their side of the lines of battle. A few Flankers around the back of an enemy formation can wreak havoc.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I might have some spare time tomorrow, so I'm probably going to sit down and try to bang out a few more of these. Can I get a dev's opinion on what I have, and on anything that is needed for the Mainline before 1.2 is released? If there's nothing, I'll probably fool around with the Elementals a bit.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

It is too late too add new/modify strings in 1.2 (string freeze), so new mainline descriptions will go to 1.3
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I forgot to mention : it is too late for 1.2.0, but those changes would eventually go in 1.2.1
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Ok. Now, are there any other mainline descriptions that need revision?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Not exactly what you asked for but you could write descriptions for the two new traits if you want.
  • healthy (+3HP, +4 rest healing), Dwarf specific
    fearless (ignore unfavorable ToD)
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott