Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Flags! more variety than a change of color

Post by Eleazar »

I'd like to see more unique flags in the game customized for factions or races. I think it give teams a bit more personality. The game currently supports custom flags for campaigns, but so far as i know, only tSG and SotBE use them.

Below is my contribution to this cause. Animation really isn't my thing, but i think it works.

I've used the exact same green color that the standard generic flag uses, so i think it should be color shiftable without changing much code.

I haven't commited these because i've been out of touch for a while, i don't want to mess up preparations for 1.2. Also non-campaign-specific flags should probably be given their own folder in "images". IIRC frame aggrees that the "terrain" folder is already overcrowded and should be reserved for graphics that are controlled by the terrain CFGs.
Attachments
undead-flag.zip
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
this file is animated.  Turn on GIF animation
this file is animated. Turn on GIF animation
undead-flag.gif (1.28 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Last edited by Eleazar on October 25th, 2006, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

As great as it would be, it has a problem.
In Shrouded and FoWed you can see what you're facing by just finding an enemy-owned village without any enemy units nearby.
IMO though, even in real life I'd be pretty sure wether a village is under orcish, undead control, but WinR so...

I'm all in for unique flags for each faction. It'd bring more neatness to this game.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yeah, this is something I've been wanting to get done post-1.2 for a long time.

The flag you've made looks good enough for a faction flag. However, note that the flag doesn't, IMHO, need to be a waving flag. I can imagine that undead, for example, would erect a sort of a flagpole decorated with skulls and bones, maybe with an eerie blue/green flame burning at the top, or something similar, instead of a flag. Dwarves/Knalgans could have something resembling a stone monolith.

It might be desirable for KISS purposes to use flags for all, of course, but at least alternatives are something to consider.

I don't think it's a real problem that you could tell the opponent's faction by just seeing one of his villages before one of his units. It's not very common in MP anyway.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Nice idea, adding some variety can't be bad. :)
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

You mean, like:

Code: Select all

[faction]
id=pwnxorz
[flag_animation]
[/flag animation]
[/faction]
?
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Eternal wrote:In Shrouded and FoWed you can see what you're facing by just finding an enemy-owned village without any enemy units nearby.
I'd call that a feature. :wink:

Zookeeper:
I think there's a lot of variety possible without going quite as far as stone monoliths. Some "flags" might be streaming strips of cloth. Others might look like roman standards. Or a shield afixed on a pole. Some might not fixed so they don't flap around much. The elves might have a living, growing flag-staff.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

undead flag :)

gren is tc, red is background. On forum it looks even worse, than on my computer :-)
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Next try :-)

:-( fire does not even look like fire...
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think undead flag should look like a normal exept being rotten and having a skull on top of stick it is hang on.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Next try ;-P
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Actually, i just noticed that Ezealar's flag was undead. I like it much more than mine.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Eternal wrote:As great as it would be, it has a problem.
In Shrouded and FoWed you can see what you're facing by just finding an enemy-owned village without any enemy units nearby.
IMO though, even in real life I'd be pretty sure wether a village is under orcish, undead control, but WinR so...
Actually, in shroud/fog you can't see a village change it's ownership until a unit lifts the fog around it. So no problem.

Love the idea, give drakes a large brazier with burning flame.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Dragon Master wrote:Actually, in shroud/fog you can't see a village change it's ownership until a unit lifts the fog around it. So no problem.

Love the idea, give drakes a large brazier with burning flame.
But you can see if a enemy unit takes one of your fogged houses, for the flag disappears.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I like the idea of flag variations. But it is also important to have them immediately recognizable as markers for what side the village is owned by. Thus, IMHO, stone monoliths and some of the other ideas are right out - you can't really show tcolor on a hunk of rock. And having them all have some sort of cloth flowing in the wind makes them more recognizable.

So, variations are good, but they should all be modeled around the same basic idea - a long stick in the ground with tcolored streamers coming off of it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:IMHO, stone monoliths and some of the other ideas are right out - you can't really show tcolor on a hunk of rock.
Painted rocks.