Liche in South Guard

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rever

Liche in South Guard

Post by rever »

Ok,
I found out that I need to go south and pay off the Trolls. Only issue is they do not help me. I have brought Dragoon and all my level 3 characters. However, I keep getting killed by the Liche. He does 16 each hit x 4. Either I die then or later. Also he drains my life and increase his again. Can someone help me out here, this seem impossible. However, I know it is not since others have finished it.
Dunedain

Post by Dunedain »

Well, have you tried both paying the trolls and the other option (forget what's it)? You really need their help.

As for the liche, I suggest you get the trolls to kill him for you -- avoid direct conflict between him and your units! Trolls will do better than humans/elves against undead.

BTW, if you want, send a few units to help out the trolls, since these 'lich-crushers' may get crushed in turn...
:D
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Oh for the love of...

1. Send Shyde to trigger ice crack, she can just fly back over.
2. Go south, pay off trolls*.
3. Go through troll caves.
4. Blast hole through to lich.
5. Slow lich.
6. Blast lich with Mage of Light.
7. Grab yourself a beer and continue to next level.

I recommend only recalling a couple of infantry, Royal Guards are good. That's all you will need.

*If you don't have the money to pay off the trolls (200 gold I think it was) then say you will pay them anyway. There are a bunch of villages near the blast site. If you are short on gold, just grab them and wait for the gold to build up before you blast through. You only need a couple of rounds to kill the lich.

It's that easy. I'm surprised this isn't obvious.
xalorous

huh?

Post by xalorous »

Zhukov wrote:Oh for the love of...
1. Send Shyde to trigger ice crack, she can just fly back over.
Are you playing the same scenario? Who is Shyde?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Bloody hell! No damn wonder I kept getting deja vu while I was just typing this. I've already done it right here!
The Shyde is the Elf lady who is with you. At level 3 she can fly over the river and - more importantly - fly back.
If you chose the bandits over the Elves in the forest level then you are making things about 100x harder for yourself. Go back and chose the Elves.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Come on, the lich is ridiculous. Kills any unit you have if you simply miss that first slowing attempt (and probably otherwise too), and there's pretty much nothing you can do about that. Needing to play the scenario several times in order to be able to form a "strategy" that details what hex to step on on what turn for every unit you have is extremely dumb.
Zhukov wrote:1. Send Shyde to trigger ice crack, she can just fly back over.
Zhukov wrote:If you chose the bandits over the Elves in the forest level then you are making things about 100x harder for yourself. Go back and chose the Elves.
About TSG, I have only two words: BAD CAMPAIGN. Sorry, but IMO you'd be better off playing something else.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

My main objection to south guard is that the mounted commander, your boss, can only level to level two, making his leadership less than useless - he should be able to level to a nice juicy level 4, as to offer boons to any troops he might have. Other wise, give me a horseman instead of the boy, please do.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
aelius

Post by aelius »

zookeeper wrote:About TSG, I have only two words: BAD CAMPAIGN. Sorry, but IMO you'd be better off playing something else.
I'm curious as to whether the bad campaign thought applies to just Into the Depths (which I'd agree with and am trying to fix) or the whole campaign? If the whole campaign, I'm curious as to what specifically you dislike.

I'm gradually working on a replacement to Into the Depths that should alleviate many of the frustrations of the scenario.
zookeeper wrote:If you chose the bandits over the Elves in the forest level then you are making things about 100x harder for yourself. Go back and chose the Elves.
This isn't quite accurate. If you choose to side with the bandits you won't ever encounter the scenario Into the Depths. You'll have an entirely differenct arc to play out with a different ending.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

I thought it was a good campaign, except for the last two levels (I only played elf side, so I don't know about bandits). The only way to kill the Ultra Lich is to save/load over and over until the white mage and your soldiers get lucky enough to drop him. The level after with elves attacking you is even worse and probably the most idiotic Wesnoth level I've ever played. The only way to win Vengeance is to let them kill one of my guys while killing none of theirs, then sneak my druid onto the tree? Lame as hell.

Also, the main character is so weak even at level 2 that it's really better not to level him at all and keep him out of combat. I know he's supposed to be younger and less experienced than most of his soldiers, but isn't that a bit much?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Random points:

• If you go with the bandits you face hoards of undead in the final level.

• If you go with the Elves, the final level is a pinch. Just charge the Elf Lady out at the toughest enemy you can see and let her die. Campaign over. You win. Seriously.
So yes, Elves are 100x times easier.

• Your leader doesn't go past level 2, but he can purchase AMLA upgrades. Same for the infantry fellow with the glaive.

• Still don't see why people can't kill the Lich. You get four chances to slow him (from leader and Shyde). You can use your MoL's illuminate to weaken him and strengthen your own guys. And of course that nice holy blast.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Of course, the 3 hp of the AMLA are sure worth the experience points spent to get them. Or not :D
There should be a point in leveling the main character, even if it is only to see what he becomes next - I can picture a character advancing from one level 3/4 unit to another unit of the same level, with some minor boon added, several, or even a dozen times over the course of a campaign, gaining a better move type here and, say, a different melee attack there. One advancement ... leaves room for improvement.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
DraconicBlessing

Post by DraconicBlessing »

The AMLA for the South Guard's two main loyalist Character's (can't for the life of me rememebr their names, Deoran? and somebody else?) are by no means just three more HP. Slowing effect, an impact attack, and a few more swings were all very nice additions.

I too found Into the Depths quite difficult, but not impossibly hard. Can't remember exactly how I beat him either - something like Deoran charging in from behind with the explosives and a mass assault with everyone else from the front.

To be honest, I felt that the final "victory" with the elves was a bit of a let-down - it seems odd to "win" by having the Shyde die. Perhaps an alternate ending for actually getting her to that gods-damned tree?
The Past never was.
The Future never will be.
There is only Now.
rubber.piggy

Post by rubber.piggy »

Zhukov wrote: If you chose the bandits over the Elves in the forest level then you are making things about 100x harder for yourself. Go back and chose the Elves.
I had no problem, bandits and footpads cut though undead pretty quickly, even the lich.
"If at first you don't suceed, redefine sucess." - Anon
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Xandria wrote:Of course, the 3 hp of the AMLA are sure worth the experience points spent to get them. Or not :D
He can get other stuff. A weak mace, or slow special on his spear (makes a mess of the Lich), or the 3hp of course.
The infantry fellow can get extra swings on his glaive. 15-5 attack... anybody?
DraconicBlessing wrote:To be honest, I felt that the final "victory" with the elves was a bit of a let-down - it seems odd to "win" by having the Shyde die. Perhaps an alternate ending for actually getting her to that gods-damned tree?
Whether she dies of gets to the tree, the result is the same. Both options are easy to do (dying is obviously easier and she survives anyway). You don't even have to wait for her to say her "I'd better go and negotiate" speech. Just charge her at the first Marshal. (You probably already figured this out, right?)
rubber.piggy wrote: I had no problem, bandits and footpads cut though undead pretty quickly, even the lich.
Oh sure, it's by no means impossible. Just harder. If you go Elves, the levels are more interesting (none of that follow-the-leader-through-forest stuff) and you keep your leveled-up elves, including the lady's bodyguard.
(:P Besides, I'm a sucker both for infantry and a happy ending. I prefer the infantry commander not to die.)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I just let the orcs do it....

and how do you trigger the ice flow thing? Imust confess that I left my white mage stuck in the chasm thingie becasue I couldn't get him out. :oops:

Also, you can't get a replay of the last scenario--it goes straight to the credits.

Am I missing something?
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well