Into the depths

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

needhelppls.

Into the depths

Post by needhelppls. »

I know the south guard is the easiest one but could you help me with into the depths. Concerning which characters to use and where to send them. :oops:
nvoigt

Post by nvoigt »

This is one of the most frustrating scenarios I've played to date. Recruit/recall infantry ( royal guards, halbediers ) and healers; if you can, use two mermen. Send them all south. Don't look north. Don't think of north. Send all south. Why is there a northern part of this map ? I don't know. Probably to let you trot around in the dark for 40 turns so you can restart with the good feeling of having an hour of your life wasted on a total pointless activity.

Don't waste any time. Sounds funny on a map that's forcing you to waste 20 turns just moving your army ahead 2 hexes at a time, but you will see that the timing you had in mind will change with a sudden objective change that requires 2-4 turns to be left to be completed. If you have a plan despite the horrible layout of the map, scrap it and plan for 3 turns less.

My own experiences with this scenario can only be described as frustrating.

Step 1: look around in the dark for 40 turns. Glimpse a ghost. End. Restart.

Step 2: look around in the dark harder. Realize after 20 turns that you won't make it with any units sent north. Restart.

Step 3: Sent all units south. Planned it out, killed the leader 2 turns ahead of time. Not enough time to fulfil the second, 38 turns hidden objective. Restart scenario.

Step 4: Memorized the map. Sent all units south. Hurry. Kill the leader. Win.

Not once in the 4 tries did I somehow improve my tactics. The only thing that changed was my knowledge from prior games about things I could not know when I played this map for the first time. I didn't fail because of bad strategical or tactical decisions. I failed because the scenario made me fail. Because I did not get the neccessary informations from the start. The campaign is great, but this scenario simply sucks.
Bombax

Post by Bombax »

However, I never manage to kill the lich... How am I supposed to kill him (what units???)
zol

Post by zol »

Not wanting to solve it for you, but - what is in the lich's cave? and what is the lich doing?
finite, infinite, definite
jm

Post by jm »

As far as killing the lich, I did it by first sending in a couple of Royal Guards to weaken him, then moving Hylas in for the kill (I figured once he was below 40HP I was practically sure to finish him - a fun confrontation, unlikely to last over one turn in any case).

And once I'd wasted a first try exploring the cave I actually found the scenario pretty fun to play.

However I'm at a loss as to how to actually win. I've killed the lich with 3 turns to spare, so I should have time, but I have no idea how to do it. In case that matters, I've elected not to bribe the trolls and wiped them out instead. The lich mainly sat in his keep and spammed skeletons at me, only stopping once in a while to freeze one of my units to oblivion when I got close enough. I tried getting all of my special units on the keep, tried recruiting there... no luck so far.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I simply can't believe people have trouble with this level.
rever

Post by rever »

I think the problem is at least for me. I do not have any high level units. I guess I completed the other levels to quickly. I only have 1. Halibdaire 1.Pike 2. level two archers and 1 level 3 archer. I guess I will try and move them up.

Ok,
No can do I cannot kill the Liche. I never get any help from the Orc's and my Units hardly hit him and when the do they do little damage. While he still drains my life. I still not sure how you are getting Royal Guards and such. What could I be doing wrong I get either Long Bowman or Halibdaire(sp?), and only one of each. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
xalorous

totally frustrated

Post by xalorous »

Zhukov wrote:I simply can't believe people have trouble with this level.
We have trouble because there's obviously a trick to this level.

The lich is DOUBLE the bosses on the previous levels, it's very difficult to mob him, and he is so far away from the nearest keep (troll keep) that you have to know that he's there in order to send the right units.

BTW, at this point I only have 1 lvl 3 unit, royal guard. These guys are undead, how am I supposed to beat them without paladins or white mage type units?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Okay, I guess I should make up for my previous super-unhelpful post. Here is the technique (on hardest difficulty).

Recruit lightly, focusing on melee. One castle load at the very most, even that's probably too much. Go to the river and fly the Shyde across before any other unit. The ice melts and she'll say something along the lines of, "Oh sheet, I'm trapped." Then just fly her back over.
Go south till you meet the Troll, listen to what he has to say. Offer him the money, even if you don't have enough gold. Continue south then east, heading for the point the Troll tells you about.
If you have enough gold to pay the Troll (200 IIRC), then blast through. If you're broke then there are a couple of villages near the blast site. Grab them and wait for your funds to build up. Then blow the wall.
Once you're through, attack with your leader first and slow the Lich. This reduces his damage by half (you probably knew that). It also means he won't regain as much health from his draining melee. Then (in the same turn) move in and hit him with whatever other melee units you have - Royal Guards are fine - making sure to leave a space. That space is for the White Mage. If the Lich isn't dead yet - and he probably won't be - move the white mage in and blast! The Lich takes double damage from that holy attack.

Result: uno dead Lich, victory and drinks all round.

(Still can't see why people have trouble with this.)
Hagow

Post by Hagow »

Do you have to get a unit across the breaking ice? I used a merman the first couple times (I know, absolutely worthless). 3rd time I just kept going and eventually triggered the event accidentally anyway.
Fool, you almost owwwed in a confined space! Do you realize one more "ow" and the whole place'll go up in flames?
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Hagow wrote:Do you have to get a unit across the breaking ice? I used a merman the first couple times (I know, absolutely worthless). 3rd time I just kept going and eventually triggered the event accidentally anyway.
No, you don't have to.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Shadowheart

Post by Shadowheart »

I'm not sure if i should put this in the bug forum or where, so figured i'd put it in here (sorry if that's wrong)

I just started playing wesnoth 2 days ago, and have reached "Into the deep" in the South Guard campaign.

After reading through here, it seems that i've made a noob mistake and not leveled up enough, since people are assuming that you have royal guards(i don't even know how to get those) and that the elf queen is level 3.
but whatever..

my problem is this:
First time around i allied myself with the trolls, and ran out of time since they kept getting in the way fighting ghosts.

So i figured i'd just kill the trolls and move on to the liche myself.
After i kill the troll commander however, i got the victory screen. When the next scenario started(Vengeance) i had lost all my recall-units and the elf queen, and the guy with the glaive-weapon wasn't healed from his last scenario. Now obviously it's impossible to win when the elf is gone (should i report this on the bugboard, btw?)

So i started Into the Deep again, this time completely ignoring the trolls and going straight for the liche. That is, i refused to pay them and then kept going for the liche, killing the trolls that got in the way.
I get to the liche and kill him... and nothing happens. It just moves on to the next turn as if he's still here.

Now the question is, do i have to ally myself with the trolls to win this?
I'd think killing the liche would be enough, since the scenario objective is to "find the source of the undead under the citadel"?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Shadowheart wrote: completely ignoring the trolls and going straight for the liche. That is, i refused to pay them and then kept going for the liche, killing the trolls that got in the way.
I get to the liche and kill him... and nothing happens. It just moves on to the next turn as if he's still here.

Now the question is, do i have to ally myself with the trolls to win this?
I'd think killing the liche would be enough, since the scenario objective is to "find the source of the undead under the citadel"?
same
Wesnothphile

Post by Wesnothphile »

If you refuse to pay the trolls, I think you need to kill the troll king in addition to killing the Liche.

Also, I think there's currently a bug where you need to have 200 gold (or however much it was that you were asked to pay) at the end of the scenario no matter which choice you make regarding the troll king's offer.

There are villages scattered around that can give you the necessary gold. You can pick up the ones next to the troll king even if you ally with him.

When killing the Liche, remember that Hyleas has "illumination." Makes your lawful units fight better in the underground darkness if he stands next to them. Makes chaotic units fight worse when he stands next to them. Best is when he stands next to both the lawful and chaotic unit when the two fight each other.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

um so i think i must start new whole campaign

cuz i have only jevelineer(i don't know he can't advance)

1st i pay troll they kill lich for me
i restart again cuz i want to lvl up my troop to lv 3 so i let
80 % army against troll and 20 % for lich

even that with only lvl 2 troop i can kill about 4-5 troll not troll king

so i think i will be unable to kill troll king