My completely awesome concept for a non-Rebel wose-unit

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Naeddyr

My completely awesome concept for a non-Rebel wose-unit

Post by Naeddyr »

I've had this idea in my head for a day or two now, and want to get it out, regardless of whether it is good enough to be added or not. You can always try.

Inspired by the new wose units, I combined in my mind two concepts: the anime-trope found in NGE, Eureka 7 and others, plus the pseudo-Ents of Wesnoth to form the WOSE - Whip-Operated Sylvan Entity.

It's simple: someone captured a Wose sapling and bonsai-bondaged it to to his nefarious bidding on the battle-field. The Wose is contained within a battle-armour - as much prison as shell - and is controlled by force to smash the opposition. This could fit many factions, or none - Loyalists, Knalgans, maybe Undead or Northerners.

The WOSE would have a ability/disability reverse-plague. When the "armor" dies, the leafless and weak wose within is released to wreak havoc on enemy and 'friend' alike.

Like the ordinary wose, the WOSE would heal in the forest - in reverse! As the wose inside the captive armor is strengthened and yearns to the trees, its fights against its armor - thus, the WOSE loses a set amount of hitpoints every turn it stays in foliage. It still moves quickly in the forest. It doesn't have Ambush in the forest.

I tried to make some simple modding on the new Wose graphics to get a "weak wose", but the armor completely eludes me. The weak wose would probably also have to lose its branches - who's going to put armor on those?
Attachments
evawose01.png
evawose01.png (6.76 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

:shock:
Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

zookeeper wrote::shock:

I can see you are a discerning customer. Needless to say, this product is of very high quality... But I am down on my luck at the moment, so I am ready to let it go for a very, very low price!
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

I don't think this would make a good multiplayer unit, but it would be interesting to see in a single-player campaign, like the sleeping gryphons. I think a better concept would be like a petrified tree wose, controlled like a skeleton. This would go well with the theme of death, which is something hard to attach to such a being as a giant tree.

I have no idea how to graphically do an unliving, petrified tree, though, and it probably isn't possible. :lol:
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I am going to assume the concept is a joke (the whole hard-to-detect-sarcasm-in-text thing).

In the meantime however, with a little cleanup that graphic wouldn't be bad as the Wose WC (the unit that spawns when a WC/Souless kills a Wose.)
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Zhukov wrote:In the meantime however, with a little cleanup that graphic wouldn't be bad as the Wose WC (the unit that spawns when a WC/Souless kills a Wose.)
Agreed, that would make a pretty cool undead Wose, especially if it gets colors more like that of the current WC Wose (maybe something in between the two.)
Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

Zhukov wrote:I am going to assume the concept is a joke (the whole hard-to-detect-sarcasm-in-text thing).
:(

I am halvely serious.
In the meantime however, with a little cleanup that graphic wouldn't be bad as the Wose WC (the unit that spawns when a WC/Souless kills a Wose.)
You could make it gray, lose some bark, white eyes.

I'll make an Art Contrib thread someday if no one else does.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

please do, this is definitely a good start for a new wose WC...

and afaik the WC hasn't been updated for new graphics yet...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Bander

Post by Bander »

How about like this:

Excellent sprites by Naeddyr and neorice also btw.
Attachments
Wose EVIL1.png
Wose EVIL1.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 2943 times