Scenario Review: (UTBS) 12. The Final Confrontation

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bloblo

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 12. The Final Confrontation

Post by bloblo »

[quote="quartex"]
(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.1.8 medium (normal)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Hard !

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
first challenge is kept kaleh alive ...

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
until now i can not win this level... kaleh and the others lose speedly their live punt and i lose the game at the 4th round.

may be anybody has a suggestion ?
talkitron

Post by talkitron »

bloblo wrote:
quartex wrote: (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
until now i can not win this level... kaleh and the others lose speedly their live punt and i lose the game at the 4th round.

may be anybody has a suggestion ?
This probably has to do with how many heroes are there and whether you've leveled them to the mac. I've only played this twice. Kaleh bit the dust the first time. The second time I just focused on the support columns and ignored the mobile beasts and the middle.

I gave Kaleh the fire sword from the troll leader's conference, if that matters. Also, Kaleh was a champion and not a marshal.
rubber.piggy

Post by rubber.piggy »

quartex wrote:
normal v 1.1.11
Quote:
Quote:
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
Quote:
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not as intersting as he rest of the campaign
Quote:
Those [censored] monsters
Quote:
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4, it a [censored] btich. It not possible to control those monsters.
Quote:
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Kaleh is L3, Nym is L3, and the druid is L4 and yet I can't beat it because those monsters kill every one 1st or 2nd turn. A new one appears every turn but I can bearly kill one per turn (assum,ing i even try). Whether I focus on the spires or the monsters Kaleh dies 2nd turn because they all gang up on him. I'm going to keep trying but it seems that the only ay to beat it is luck.
EDIT: Why when I have a stack of L3 units do I get stuck with a L1 fighter and archer in the final battle??
Quote:
(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
N/A
"If at first you don't suceed, redefine sucess." - Anon
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

"Normal," 1.2.4

7. Being fairly simple conceptually, the survival of each character involved (and consequently the ending) depends largely on luck. The only thing you can really do to affect the outcome is to set it up so that most of your troops can still move when you kill the avatar and reveal Yechnagoth's body.

Though my first sucess was the mega-happy ending, I shamelessly went back later and cheat'd out the others.

Sure glad I dragged Grog all this way.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

All right. A good expression of the climax.

Not much. Just keep trying till you win. Turns out once again giving Kaleh the holy water paid off. When I did win, it was usually on turn 3 or 4.

5. Good story and battle, but there's not much to it.

The entrance could use a bit more buildup. I know I just plowed through a full-sized army of evil, but somehow it still felt too easy to get to the main chamber of a demon's lair.

(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?

100 (taking the island put that 300 well into the negatives).
Grim_boy

Post by Grim_boy »

"Normal" 1.2.5

"2" troll destroy 2 columns:) Kaleh another 2 .. dont know why peaople have problem with this fight :O

clear

good

hmm ... there wansn't :)

"6" final battel was really short and too easy :P

scenario should be little longer mabey eloh can have few more forms
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Please note new set of questions in the first scenario and use these for feedback from now on.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
1.8.4, Desert Sentinel (Challenging)

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
As long as your ally didn’t die before reaching here and all three heroes are fully leveled it’s easy. It also helped that the reinforcements I get are the highest-leveled units in my army – name the 4 Stars, who are very fast and were able to quickly join the fight.

3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly loose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
No, nothing.

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
Yes, I enjoyed it very much (like the rest of the campaign).

5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
Yes, it was certainly different from other scenarios. I enjoyed crushing the fake Eloh once and for all.

The final battle was also a nice tactical challenge – destroying the spires as quickly as possible required some careful planning to avoid taking unnecessary damage.

Until I looked at the code for the NEXT scenario I didn’t realize that I was allowed to let Nym and Zhul die – I played thinking that their death is an instant loss, like in all previous scenarios. That made the whole thing a bit more challenging, but also a lot more satisfying to win without losing anyone at all.

6) Do you think the scenario's WML is clear and commented well enough? If not which part would you like to see improved?
Seems well-documented.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

(1) Difficulty, version? Challenging, 1.9.5 (0 gold)
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 7
(3) How clear? Crystal
(4) Dialog? Excellent
(5) Challenges? Destroying stuff (And I lost Grog :()
(6) How fun? (1-10) 9: A great relief from the previous scenario :)
(7) Changes? Don't you dare touch this masterpiece!
(8) Reloads or restarts? Nope
(9) WML? Well commented
(10) Replay? Attached
(11) Map? Well done
Attachments
UtBS-The_Final_Confrontation_replay.gz
(26.48 KiB) Downloaded 885 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

1) Version and difficulty? 1.9.7, nightmare
2) Appropriately difficult? Yes.
3) Reloads? None.
4) Storyline and dialog? Good.
5) Fun, gameplay, mood, etc.? Bizarre, but appropriate.

Replay crashes Wesnoth, so not attached.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
1.9.6, top difficulty, no reloads

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
"6", I'm fine with it

3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly loose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
when was killing apparition, placed Nym upper of her, so the final monster appeared next to her, and I lost as a consequence.

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
don't care much as always, everything is clear so I'm fine with it. Overall, the story of the campaign is great, but many times I was pretty bored reading through it b/c all I want is a general events/objectives guide. But again, the whole idea is cool, you can event think in terms of it about what's happening in our world :)

5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
yes, just enough for this campaign.

Overall, I can say the campaign is great, but most fun maps were before the underground. The rest seemed a bit frustrating and repeating in terms of the feel of the battles, and the "frying pan" map needs corrections IMO. Also, I'm definitely not a fan of increased recruits cost. IMO it does not increase the fun, maybe it felt so bad only on top difficulty level I don't know.

I want to say thanks to developers/mainteiners for the immense job they've done, the only look at WML makes me tremble :)
Attachments
(34.09 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on?

Easiest difficulty level (which i think was normal!)

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? 5

No, although I might have struggled a little more if Grog hadn't killed Eloh outright.

Fine.

Yes. It's a nice end of level boss fight. Overall I *really* enjoyed this campaign. Good work! The one section that needs work is the underground section which is way too tough!!!! I'll comment on those scenarios in their threads.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

1.9 something medium

"3". Peope found this hard. Realy? I got dicked over the first time when I killed "Eloh" with Kaleh, got unlucky on the counter attack then frozen in place. Second time i just postioned my troops carefully and effortlessly ran over the enemy, easily winning on turn 4

) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly loose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
Landed the deathblow on Eloh with Kaleh, then became a sitting duck because of positioning and bad luck. Great.

It was ok, though it felt like a massive anti climax. A campaign made of long, compelx scenarios culmativing in a fight against a demon powerful enough to impersonate a god that can be won in FOUR TURNS?!
Also Kaleh lost to someone who in gameplay turned out to be so weak? And putting "This has never been seen before and cannot be described" in the all the descriptions was a big cop out. Perhaps hint that its more horrible and alien than any human can contemplate, cause the spirte just looks ugly and wierd, and not in a good scary way.

1/10. Pretty lame to be honest. While you can get screwed by luck, this mission offers very little in the way of strategic challenge. I expected some epic clash against a god like being that would require a fair few troops and be an exciting strategic battle, but i just wailed the weak parts piece by and won almost effortlessly. It really didn't feel like I was fighting some l33t demonlord. Your units running in one by one is a neat touch, but the mission is such a joke they really wern't needed. Seriously final bosses, especially one so powerful story wise should be much harder to kill, and require far more effort. A crappy and anticlimatic end to what was otherwise an amazing campaign.
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on?
1.10.2 medium

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level?
1/10 – trivial

No.

Decent.

1/10 I don't know how someone could actually not succeed here. Not final dramatic battle by any means. However it was so short that it doesn't really matter. Overall I had one hell of a time playing UtbS. Thank for creating this unique campaign!
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

1) Version and difficulty? 1.11.15, nightmare
2) Appropriately difficult? It should be harder. One more pillar?
3) Reloads? None.
4) Dialog? Good.
5) Fun? Interesting concept and appearance. I guess you redid the graphics since previous versions... nice! However, it would be more fun if you wind up grinding through a lot of your roster before finally winning. There should also be a reasonable chance of not being able to win even then.
Attachments
(56.98 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
thebends43201

Post by thebends43201 »

Challenging, 1.12.2

Considering how hard some of the previous scenarios are, I was kinda surprised how easy this one is. I say that, but I did need 2x to win, the first go around everyone missed eloh, and she hit almost 100% and once the blue things appeared I couldn't survive. But the second time, with a normal distribution of damage, everything was fine.

Losing Nym stinks, man! But she killed Eloh and ended up next to the central thing, and that was that.

I don't know what I would want to see in a final battle, but someehow this felt like a letdown. I'm prob just used to big army final battles. (Which the previous scenario was.)