New Multiplayer Map -- MIddle Earth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AT

New Multiplayer Map -- MIddle Earth

Post by AT »

Just finished the BETA 2 release of the tested and playbalanced MIddle Earth Map based on the Tolkien books Lord of the RIngs. Attached file includes simple install script for the lazy (like me.)

Remeber that it is in Beta, is rather big, and that Tolkien hold all the copyrights for Middle Earth and LOTR.

Suggested settings are: Human vs. Human, 1 gold/town, Fog of war.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
erl
Inactive Developer

Post by erl »

I don't know the playability of this map, but it looks pretty cool :). Keep up the good work!

I think it makes the need for more village terrain graphics apparent, such as villages in mountains and dirt, though.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

It'd be good to have labels for all of the place names :)
AT

PLace names

Post by AT »

Yes, but then I couldn't say it was 'inspired' by Tolkien, I'd have to say "This is tolkien's." That is something I would rather not do, because of copyrights.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

The end of an entertaining battle :)

I found the small gap in the river between Mordor and Gondor to be easy to defend, and once I took all the villages in the forest and mountains to the north east, it was just a matter of closing in on him :)
AT

Mordor

Post by AT »

Even with the removale of alot of a bunch of houses in The Shire region (upper left) it still seems to me like it might favor the West side of the map too much. Question: who got troops to Isengaurd (the tower in the middle) first? I think Mordor might be too blocked in by the mountains around it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Wouldn't it be better if Mordor was played by orcs? It'd be more suitable, and orcs can move over mountains better...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
AT

ya

Post by AT »

Yes, but its a multiplayer map, so you can play as whoever you want...
telex4

Re: Mordor

Post by telex4 »

AT wrote:Even with the removale of alot of a bunch of houses in The Shire region (upper left) it still seems to me like it might favor the West side of the map too much. Question: who got troops to Isengaurd (the tower in the middle) first? I think Mordor might be too blocked in by the mountains around it.
I got all the way down to occupy both castles in Gondor before the enemy had even crossed the river going West! I also beat them to the mountains at the top, though they then caught up and outnumbered me there.

They seem to mill around in Mordor an awful lot... they're reluctant to leave.
AT

hum...

Post by AT »

Perhaps I'll poke another hole in Mordor's mountains. Maybe that will encorage the AI to leave sooner, and allow a human to get troops out faster.