Order of calculating damage bonuses of the strong trait

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Order of calculating damage bonuses of the strong trait

Post by Baufo »

With the current order it is possible that the strong trait earns you a 2 insteed of a 1 damage bonus. For instance: a non-strong drake clasher does 7-4 at day while a strong does 9-4 (I have experienced this even more often (but can't remember other examples at the moment), most times in combination with some resistence values or leadership or ToD or other cases with a bit more damage calculation). I think that can be pretty unfair in MP games if you are lucky enough to get the strong trait for the right unit. I think it better be a good idea if trait bonuses were calcuated last not first.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

It makes sense and if you search the history of Wesnoth you'll find that damage calculations did change quite a bit until it stabilized on the current system. It has minor flaws (I don't see this as one) but it's rather good.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

During the night, both strong and non-strong Clashers do the same damage (5-4).
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Re: Order of calculating damage bonuses of the strong trait

Post by Mythological »

Baufo wrote:With the current order it is possible that the strong trait earns you a 2 insteed of a 1 damage bonus. For instance: a non-strong drake clasher does 7-4 at day while a strong does 9-4 (I have experienced this even more often (but can't remember other examples at the moment), most times in combination with some resistence values or leadership or ToD or other cases with a bit more damage calculation). I think that can be pretty unfair in MP games if you are lucky enough to get the strong trait for the right unit. I think it better be a good idea if trait bonuses were calcuated last not first.
Its the same with mermen,calvary and gliders ( and every non-neutral unit which has a melee attack of 2,6,10,14,18 etc damage per strike, except undead ). There are more units which get that extra bonus at level 2 and 3.
Anyway, as someone metioned before, that isnt a problem cause it balances by itself cause the strong trait also makes the ToD bonus reduce more - a strong clasher deals 2 more damage at day, 1 at dawn/dusk and same damage per strike as a non-strong clasher at night, while a strong drake fighter deals 1 more damage per strike than a non-strong one regardless of the time of day
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never