End of an Era.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

littlebeast

End of an Era.

Post by littlebeast »

Yes, like a good little Wesnothian, I feel obligated to make a campaign.

... Anyway, I think I must have gone insane at some part during the design process, because I decided not only to mess with the times, but also completely change the tech tree of mages, as well as undead and perhaps any other unfortunate units that catch my eye.

So yeah, I'm insane. :D But hey, I've gotten the first scenario done, although I haven't re-tested the AI to check if it actually makes units. Or finished the graphics for the unit. But whatever.

I'm going to go to bed now and see if I feel a little more sane in the morning. I doubt it, though.

EDITZ: Hmm, this doesn't so much apply now. Maybe you should all jump straight to the third page.
Last edited by littlebeast on January 6th, 2009, 4:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hiatus, epitome, colonel, sadist, Tucson, behemoth, quixote...
Okay, how many of those did you pronounce wrong?

My (very incomplete) campaign.
l'ultimo cruco

Re: Campaign: The Dragonslayer.

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

littlebeast wrote:Yes, like a good little Wesnothian, I feel obligated to make a campaign.
Thanks, for being a good Wesnothian :)
littlebeast wrote: ...
But hey, I've gotten the first scenario done, although I haven't re-tested the AI to check if it actually makes units. Or finished the graphics for the unit. But whatever.
Well nice idea the body and soul thing, but the AI doesn't recruit anything which makes the whole scenario... :roll: , well, a bit trivial .

Random notes:
the village doesn't look much burned, so maybe you replace it with a rubble hex, just for the look&feel.

Leveling by just killing one walking corpse, while handy, is maybe a bit too easy.

All these cave villages on the green meadow look odd, beside being rather illogical storywise.

Beside that, having all these villages with a way too high turn limit, will give you a hell of a trouble to control player gold starting from scenario 2.

So keep it up a do a bit of finetuning.

PS: Hope you slept well. :wink:
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

l'ultimo cruco wrote:the village doesn't look much burned, so maybe you replace it with a rubble hex, just for the look&feel.

All these cave villages on the green meadow look odd, beside being rather illogical storywise.
The whole map is supposed to be the village... the cave villages are supposed to be burned houses.
l'ultimo cruco wrote:the AI doesn't recruit anything which makes the whole scenario... :roll: , well, a bit trivial .
Well I gave it some units to recruit... it just doesn't want to recruit them...
l'ultimo cruco wrote: Leveling by just killing one walking corpse, while handy, is maybe a bit too easy.
I wasn't sure about that, but I didn't really want to leave the player with a useless leader for very long.
l'ultimo cruco wrote: Beside that, having all these villages with a way too high turn limit, will give you a hell of a trouble to control player gold starting from scenario 2.
Yes, the time limit does need a bit of work. The main reason I set it so high is because it really ticks me off when I'm winning the scenario and then it says, "sorry, out of turns". I could set it to not giving a bonus for the next scenario perhaps.
l'ultimo cruco wrote:PS: Hope you slept well. :wink:
Slept as well as I could hope to, and still feeling every bit as insane. :D

Right, so I want to completely screw up the mage leveling tree XD. But I know I can't do the images all by myself (in fact I'm rather bad at Wesnoth spriting). So I thought maybe I could show my spec out here and see if any nice spriters might want to work on them *puppy dog eyes*

That said, if you do want to work on them, do the blue mage first. It's both the one I'll be using earliest (well, except the ice mage, but I actually quite like the silver mage image for him. Yay teal!!) and the one that looks most like an already-made unit at this point.

If the blue mage looks enough different from the existing base mage then we won't have to change that one (YAY!)

Of course, this is me assuming someone will help me on this, which is a big assumption. :roll:

Edit: Whoops, forgot the attachment :roll:

Edit2: It's not very clear there what I want for the blue mage, so I'll just say it. He should have a blue robe (duh) and it should be fur-lined, since he is working with ice. The ice mage doesn't need the fur lining because he knows how to shield himself against the coldness he makes.
Attachments
Current thoughts on the mages' tech tree.
Current thoughts on the mages' tech tree.
mages.PNG (19.87 KiB) Viewed 8205 times
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

l'ultimo cruco wrote: Well nice idea the body and soul thing, but the AI doesn't recruit anything which makes the whole scenario... :roll: , well, a bit trivial .
FIXED!! :D

But I must have messed up somewhere in the unit file because it isn't randomly making some of them female like it should. :(

I think I should maybe increase the castle size. 1 WC per turn may not be enough of a challenge. (on hard, though, there'll be soulless. I dare say that'll be enough.)

littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Okay I haven't really changed much but I'm posting the newest one now.
Turn limit on 1st level adjusted. 2nd level has the recruit list correct, if nothing else.

bignall

Post by bignall »

I like the whole soul, body thing as well. I look forward to the rest of the story. I agree that you could probably add another place for recruiting on the first scenario. Even if he were generating one every single turn, I expect it would be almost too easy.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

A single unit leveling into 5? Acceptable, but odd. I advise at least forgetting the Red Mage-Mage of Fire line, as they seem rather similar to the Master mage-Arch mage-Great Mage line. The Blue Mage-Ice Mage doing Cold is okay, and for the Grey Mage, do you mean like a mage-fighter? And what, exactly, is a cross between a locksmith and a mage?
Just wondering.
hey.
littlebeast

confusion

Post by littlebeast »

um. my B died. It was a blacksmith I meant. So he'll like summon up swords and stuff like that. A mage that can actually do some physical damage. Yes, a grey mage would be a mage-fighter.
Also, i've decided that only level 0's can be recruited, and they will have insanely branching evolution trees. Hmm. That means I'll have to make some kind of peasant-mage. Or maybe they could just evolve from peasants, but I don't really like that idea. ~.~
The red-fire mage could be scrapped, but I kinda like the idea. I could change the main line to impact or something. They're a semi-powerful mage for those that don't want to level their guys to level 4. But they're really just a spare idea to make it symmetrical and have 4 elements(because 4 is a magic number)
Also, I'M BACK!!!
(mutters) friggin' three week vacation right after I announce it... *grumble* *grumble* (/mutters)
Oh, expect to see a couple puns in here. I have fun making them.
I'd work on it right now, but my sister's hogging the computer I have my actual stuff on.
Hmm. Actually...

littlebeast

Re: confusion

Post by littlebeast »

littlebeast wrote:I could change the main line to impact or something
Actually, I think I'll just change it to "magic" which nothing will have resistance or weakness to. Because it's a new element. But if someone has a better idea I'll use it.

littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

bignall wrote:I like the whole soul, body thing as well. I look forward to the rest of the story. I agree that you could probably add another place for recruiting on the first scenario. Even if he were generating one every single turn, I expect it would be almost too easy.
Well, keep in mind you only get two units, and if either dies, you lose.
Also, I think I'll add a trigger to add castle spaces on the harder difficulties.

littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Again, not much changed, but...
Last edited by littlebeast on December 18th, 2006, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeast

grr....

Post by littlebeast »

Okay, it seems that campgen doesn't work on this computer. And since the computer it does work on is at the other house (that I go to only every other weekend) and WML just makes my brain explode, I guess this campaign will get put on hold for a while.

Maybe I'll experiment with making a small one in WML just to learn it...

littlebeast

I (maybe) am back!

Post by littlebeast »

Hehe. I'm using my mom's laptop. She said as long as CampGen doesn't lag up the computer i can use it. So this campaign may get moving again! :D

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Recoloring icons is bad. If you can't make your own, find someone to do it for you.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Don't take Jeff's advice. You should try to do it yourself, but if you can't, recoloring is fine. You almost certainly won't get anyone ELSE to help you.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm