greyhawk inspiration

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sid6.7

greyhawk inspiration

Post by sid6.7 »

tentative posting

weak but it works so far...

i made 2 derivatives
1 is funny....

MIN: 45 turns

here

7 players

1 grayhawk
2 Ius
3 scarlethoods
4 shieldland
5 the king
6 nyron
7 the sultan

you could play independent
or team 1,4,6 VS 2,3,5,7
or even make 7 nuetral AI...

"as with the LOTR thread" i dont own this nor do i make
any money off it nor claim it, it belongs to WOTC. losely
covered under open gaming lisc. nor will i label it, thus
avoiding many CR problems...
Last edited by sid6.7 on August 5th, 2006, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOpsElf

Re: greyhawk inspiration

Post by BlackOpsElf »

sid6.7 wrote: "as with the LOTR thread" i dont own this nor do i make
any money off it nor claim it, it belongs to WOTC. losely
covered under open gaming lisc. nor will i label it, thus
avoiding many CR problems...

This seems dubious. The "I don't make any money off it" argument is not technically valid, and the open gaming thing, as I understand it, has to do with adapting your own setting to d20 rules, not adapting Wizards settings to other games. Plus, not labeling something does not avoid copyright infringement, as it means that instead of acknowledging that you are stealing someone else's ideas, you are giving the impression that you are passing the ideas off as your own.

Please read some articles on either computer ethics or copyright myths. You seem to not really understand why what you are suggesting may get Wesnoth or you in trouble.
Creator and Maintainer of "Where Angels Fear To Tread"
sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 »

BlackOpsElf wrote:
Plus, not labeling something does not avoid copyright infringement, as it means that instead of acknowledging that you are stealing someone else's ideas, you are giving the impression that you are passing the ideas off as your own.
hmmm i clearly state who it belongs to i dont think there is any
question its NOT mine unless your hallucinating...
BlackOpsElf wrote:
Please read some articles on either computer ethics or copyright myths. You seem to not really understand why what you are suggesting may get Wesnoth or you in trouble.

hmmm..

before i posted....

i went to wizards and read theirs and the "open lisc."
agreement it appeared to me this could be done under dervitives
that do not actually USE thier charcter generators or "labels"
and claim it as your own...of which i do neither...nor do i sell
anything further keeping me out of the mix...am i mistaken?

and SPECIFCLLY if they wouldnt like this they are totally free
to give us 30 days to fix the problem per thier own CR rules
as i understand thier CR rules anyways....

i didnt notice this at all in the LOTR thread not even wesnoth
said anything then...nor have they removed that thread...
i'm sure LOTR would be they same thing yes? when i did ask
someone here at wesnoth i was told to say "inspired"....

i am 100% postive that when you type in "greyhawk" on the web
you can find 100's if not 1000's much more detailed maps posted
of greyhawk all over why would this be different then thiers?

but i am sure that if you choose to you can go ahead
and report this blackopself....

or wesnoth can ask me to remove it or remove it
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Also millions of people download mp3 from with emule... this doesnt make it better or more legal.
You dont have the copyrigth of the characters, places or events you want to use (stating with the name greyhawk). Neither from the maps...
Wesnoth user campaigs are asked to be free content and I'm almost sure that some linux distros package them...(and hence sell them even if in some obscure 99 cents linux cd mix) if they got a letter from Hasbro/WoTC asking them to recall those cds .. are you going to pay for the expenses and lawyers?
sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 »

fmunoz wrote:Also millions of people download mp3 from with emule... this doesnt make it better or more legal.
You dont have the copyrigth of the characters, places or events you want to use (stating with the name greyhawk). Neither from the maps...
Wesnoth user campaigs are asked to be free content and I'm almost sure that some linux distros package them...(and hence sell them even if in some obscure 99 cents linux cd mix) if they got a letter from Hasbro/WoTC asking them to recall those cds .. are you going to pay for the expenses and lawyers?

hmmmm

here are links about the LOTR thread even 1 lead developer
said no biggie as long as its "unoffical"

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... t=lotr+map

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ddle+earth

fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

So thats why the LOTR thing isn't hosted on the campaign server... you can do it at your own risk with your own resources.t
So... yes, in that sense you are allowed to do it, as we dont have the power/rigth to stop you even if we disagree.
But IMHO that's a slippery terrain, better be safe than sorry.

(We= mostly me, some developers and debian users)
sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 »

besides the point of the above discusion....

hahahhaha this is funny..

just so i can get the story straight i went right
to the beast himself over the phone.....

WOTC wont clarify thier CR nor will they
provide anyone to help interpret thier CR
nor the OG lisc.....

hilarious...makes one wonder if they even know
what thier own CR means...

:shock: :lol:
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

sid6.7 wrote: but i am sure that if you choose to you can go ahead
and report this blackopself....

or wesnoth can ask me to remove it or remove it
This isn't about "reporting" you. I would just rather not see people get into trouble for stuff like this. U.S. copyright law clearly states that the "I'm not making money off of it" excuse is not valid under any circumstances. The 30 days to remove copyright infringement is also optional; the company can choose to prosecute you at any time, and will win if they can show you ever violated their copyright laws without written consent, even if you complied with their requests. Many people have told you that this is not legal, and that it does not belong on the campaign server, and just because Wizards did not personally clarify their copyright policies with you, that does not mean that you can do whatever you want with them, even if you don't "label" them. I still don't understand what your definition of "label" is in this case, and how you can mention that Wizards owns this material yet still plead ignorance, but at this point, all I can do is direct you to several different articles on copyright law:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
http://www.copylaw.com/new_articles/copy_myths.html
http://www.llrx.com/features/bloggersbeware.htm

or just search for more online. I can assure you that Wizards knows full well what their copyright law means, and that your humorous suggestion that they don't will land you in a great deal of trouble, assuming you actually believe what you are saying and aren't just trying to stir up argument.
scott

Post by scott »

Sid6.7 is on his own here. Our goal is to shield the BFW project from responsibility for something he's doing, so we don't tell him what to do, but he has been asked not to use the resources offered here, and he can't put it on the campaign server (the least of which reason is that it probably can't be definitively GPL'd). Just like the LOTR guy, he has posted an external link and should go develop and discuss the material on a different website. As far as I can tell, he is complying with the norms set up for this kind of situation. I do not wish to have yet another discussion about the legality of fan mods. Unless you are an actual lawyer who specializes in IP, don't waste our time. If wish to lecture sid6.7 or discuss it with him, perhaps you should send him a PM on the issue.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

scott wrote:Sid6.7 is on his own here. Our goal is to shield the BFW project from responsibility for something he's doing, so we don't tell him what to do, but he has been asked not to use the resources offered here, and he can't put it on the campaign server (the least of which reason is that it probably can't be definitively GPL'd). Just like the LOTR guy, he has posted an external link and should go develop and discuss the material on a different website. As far as I can tell, he is complying with the norms set up for this kind of situation. I do not wish to have yet another discussion about the legality of fan mods. Unless you are an actual lawyer who specializes in IP, don't waste our time. If wish to lecture sid6.7 or discuss it with him, perhaps you should send him a PM on the issue.
I'm not an actual lawyer, although I am a graduate student in Computer Ethics. I'll refrain from discussing this in public with him if the mods prefer, though.
scott

Post by scott »

BlackOpsElf wrote: I'm not an actual lawyer, although I am a graduate student in Computer Ethics. I'll refrain from discussing this in public with him if the mods prefer, though.
See? I know you were tempted :). Discussing it here ties the forum closer to the issue, and we want to stay separated.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.