Outlaw portrait

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ranger M
Art Contributor

Outlaw portrait

Post by Ranger M »

I've gone through a few different versions of this guy, but I think that I now have something which will work out when finished. I would like a few comments on it before I finish it off, which will basically involve finishing the face, finding a way of making his left arm seem thinner, adding details (rips in clothing, string to tie the cloak on, etc) and working on varying the line art's thickness where necessary, (some tips on that last one would be appreciated).

I've also attached the .xcf file incase anybody with the GIMP want's to do any editing (and an animated .gif for those who don't have GIMP, just don't watch the animation, it's pretty pointless), although if you do please post the modified .xcf/.gif file too.

If anybody knows of any other file types that use layers which other programs (photoshop, etc) can handle then please tell me and I'll post a version of that too.

EDIT: and I need help with the hair, I can't do hair.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

What? No comment, for anyone? Is it really that bad? Somebody say something :evil: !
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The red line shows (roughly) how the edge of the scarf should really go (try one on yourself and look in the mirror).

What's with the apron?
Attachments
outlaw_942.png
outlaw_942.png (25.65 KiB) Viewed 6989 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

And btw, you'd get more comment if you'll move the thread to the art contributions section. More people probably browse there, and here only users who are members of a group can comment.
JW

Post by JW »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:And btw, you'd get more comment if you'll move the thread to the art contributions section. More people probably browse there, and here only users who are members of a group can comment.
How true.

And yes, the handkerchief is not hung appropriately; I think the second time you've made this error? (Trapper?)

Otherwise the shading is nice, but the stance is quite bland (though it is a portrait, so it doesn't need to be exciting).
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

More highlights (I think).
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

You have thick, uniform lines nearly everywhere except the face, which is practically barren of lines.

As for posture, he is chunky and stiff-looking.

Colors... are those really the colors of the unit? What the...?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:The red line shows (roughly) how the edge of the scarf should really go (try one on yourself and look in the mirror).

What's with the apron?
Ok, I'll change it appropriately, and the apron is armour (I thought that it was obvious, I'll try to make it more obvious)

Sgt. Groovy wrote:And btw, you'd get more comment if you'll move the thread to the art contributions section. More people probably browse there, and here only users who are members of a group can comment.
Yes, but I am hoping to get better comments with fewer repeats by putting it here, I'll basically get all the same replies (except for any bad ones).

JW wrote:And yes, the handkerchief is not hung appropriately; I think the second time you've made this error? (Trapper?)

Otherwise the shading is nice, but the stance is quite bland (though it is a portrait, so it doesn't need to be exciting).
Thrawn did the Trapper one, not me, and yes it is a little bland, but then again so are most of Lutes ones (Which is what I'm trying to copy, in this any style).

Zhukov wrote:More highlights (I think).
Normally I would agree, however i am trying to mimic Jason Lutes style, and if you look in the folder with his stuff you'll see that each object has three shades, the line colour, which is the darkest, and occasionally gets used in really dark areas (the very darkest parts of ears being a good example), the shadow colour, which is used to represent areas in shadow, and the light colour which is used to represent areas that are lit by something. The only exception to this is metal which has up to two additional shades to show it's reflectiveness.

Kestenvarn wrote:You have thick, uniform lines nearly everywhere except the face, which is practically barren of lines.
I'm working on this.

Kestenvarn wrote:As for posture, he is chunky and stiff-looking.
I would disagree it is no more stiff than many of the other portraits in game (although now that I look, Jormungandr's are much more fluid and so are James Woo's), I am trying to go for something basic (so that it's harder to get it wrong) and then work my way up from there on other portraits.

Kestenvarn wrote:Colors... are those really the colors of the unit? What the...?
yes, although the shirt is darker and I'm using the old cloak colour (I don't plan on team colouring it)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Outlaw portrait

Post by Sapient »

The outlines of the apron are contributing a lot to the stiffness effect.

And you really need to take some artistic liscence on those colors: the shirt color looks like it has been soaked in muddy water, but the cloak and scarf look like they are brand new.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

He's looking stiff because his shoulders are so high.

To me, something like this looks much more natural and relaxed (and he looks less like a bodybuilder too, although the shoulders might appear a bit too narrow now).
Attachments
outlaw-tweak.jpg
outlaw-tweak.jpg (12.44 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Most massive bit of advice:

Breastplates are not square!

Theoden, in the LotR films, has a good model to follow for the shape of a breastplate. The shape wraps around the human form.

For one great example, look at our horseman portrait.
Last edited by Jetrel on July 29th, 2006, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

One a side note, I should really commend you for doing a very good job of adapting Jason Lutes' cell-shading style.

The shaping of the image is what's buggering the work now, the choices of where to shade. But you're getting the how part almost perfectly right.

Which is no small feat. :)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Sapient wrote:The outlines of the apron are contributing a lot to the stiffness effect.
Please stop calling it an apron (and I'll talk about the shape of it later on in this post)

Sapient wrote:And you really need to take some artistic liscence on those colors: the shirt color looks like it has been soaked in muddy water, but the cloak and scarf look like they are brand new.
Ok, I'll change the shirt colour.

zookeeper wrote:He's looking stiff because his shoulders are so high.

To me, something like this looks much more natural and relaxed (and he looks less like a bodybuilder too, although the shoulders might appear a bit too narrow now).
the shoulders are a bit too narrow, but you've gotten the pose and shape better than I did.

Jetryl wrote:Most massive bit of advice:

Breastplates are not square!

Theoden, in the LotR films, has a good model to follow for the shape of a breastplate. The shape wraps around the human form.

For one great example, look at our horseman portrait.
Ok, I'll modify it to wrap around the human form.

Jetryl wrote:One a side note, I should really commend you for doing a very good job of adapting Jason Lutes' cell-shading style.

The shaping of the image is what's buggering the work now, the choices of where to shade. But you're getting the how part almost perfectly right.

Which is no small feat. :)
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

I don't like Lute's "style" at all, but whatever. [size=0]Terrible is better than nothing, I suppose. The old EI portraits prove that.[/size]
Ranger M wrote:
Kestenvarn wrote:You have thick, uniform lines nearly everywhere except the face, which is practically barren of lines.
I'm working on this.
http://www.deviantart.com/view/21814747/

It is currently on method one. I'd recommend the third one.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Kestenvarn wrote:http://www.deviantart.com/view/21814747/

It is currently on method one. I'd recommend the third one.
Yes, it is currently on method one, and I'd prefer method three, however I have to get to it in a different way because I don't know if GIMP can do that.

*Checks GIMP*

*Notices something that he's never seen before*

Actually, let me get back to you on that I've just found something which I'm not quite sure about what it does, but it looks like it could do something similar to this (there was a section that looked like it was open because of the things below it, but it wasn't)

EDIT: sorry, I can now say that GIMP can't do it, so I'll have to do it manually (thank god that I have a tablet)