EOM campaign: The Betrayal

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

EOM campaign: The Betrayal

Post by JW »

Don't post in this thread yet guys. I just wanted to put it in the forum so I would remember to post something about it later.

This campaign is going to revolve around the Celestial exile and his battle with his bretheren.

I'll set up the storyline, etc later, but I've got to run right now.
JW

Post by JW »

JW wrote:The Celestials origin I'm unsure of, but their main position in the time of the EOM is south-east of the Thrull origin, near a lake created by a river running from the mountain range to the north. Hills somewhat circle this area.

The Celestials were not originally so "evangelical" in nature. They originally created self-contained communities that were led by the Winged Ones of each respective community. Eventually a conflict arose when an ambitious non-winged Celestial questioned the order and demanded a position of power that he thought he deserved by respect of his unordinary control of the forces of magic.

This Celestial was ridiculed and shunned. He placed a curse upon the community and was then banished for this action. Shortly after, the Celestials of this town grew ill and soon after that they all lay dead. They did not lay for long however, as the exiled Celestial soon rose them into a servile undeath. The neighboring communities did not hesitate to advance on the fallen village and drive the exile away towards the mountain range in the north.

As the exile fled, he began to transform the air behind him leaving a thick mist that covered his escape. Holding home at the base of a mountain, the hatred for his kin swelled within him. As his power grew this hatred transformed the very earth surrounding him, changing the landscape into a murky, misty swamp that extended for miles. From here the exile searched for the ultimate power to revenge against his once bretheren.

These beings did not sit satiated with the recapturing of their half-living village. They sought to find a weapon with which to fight this new, dark magik. With the aide of the race of Faeries they were able to create such a weapon.

*Now that's a great setting for a campaign, so I'm not going to ruin the rest of the story for you all. :wink: *
(more to come)
Important scenes in this campaign (story or otherwise):

1) The conflict between the Exile and the Celestials (or explanation)
2) The act of exiling him (or the discussion that leads to it)
3) The curse
4) The sickness and undeath of the Celestial village
5) the siege of the village by Celestials
6) the escape of the Exile
7) the creation of the swamp
8) the crafting of Holy weapons
9) the major battle between the Celestials and the Exile
10) super-secret stuff that Jester and I discussed. :wink:

I'm going to storyboard the whole thing shortly. I may need help with some of the aspects of creating a campaign and I always welcome constructive feedback, so post your thoughts if they're relevant.

Like in the quote, I've given about as much of the storyline away as I will, so the rest you'll have to play to see! :wink:
appleide

Post by appleide »

Very nice ideas (even though the plot is a little predictible)! However, I hope all mentions of words "magic" use a "c" and not a "k". "magik" always sounds iffy to me.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

I can help with scripting if you like. Pm me if you want some help.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

appleide wrote:Very nice ideas (even though the plot is a little predictible)! However, I hope all mentions of words "magic" use a "c" and not a "k". "magik" always sounds iffy to me.
I've never heard of "magik" before JW's post - I've heard of "magick", though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Probably a mistype.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

1) Who are you playing here, the Celestials, or the Exile and his evil minions?
2) Are his evil minions Fallen Celestials? Abberations faction? Undead? Politicians? Or something even more evil than that ( :shock: ) ?
3) What do you mean by the race of the faeries? Some elven variant?
hey.
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:
appleide wrote:Very nice ideas (even though the plot is a little predictible)! However, I hope all mentions of words "magic" use a "c" and not a "k". "magik" always sounds iffy to me.
I've never heard of "magik" before JW's post - I've heard of "magick", though.
I've used all three, I think. I don't really have a strong preference for any of them. I'll probably use "magic" in any spoken parts, but the narrator's parts is up for debate. :)
Flametrooper wrote:1) Who are you playing here, the Celestials, or the Exile and his evil minions?
2) Are his evil minions Fallen Celestials? Abberations faction? Undead? Politicians? Or something even more evil than that ( :shock: ) ?
3) What do you mean by the race of the faeries? Some elven variant?
1) The Celestials. Though there may be some cutscenes of the Exile and his forces.
2) Undead.
3) The Faeries are the lumiescent faeries I spoke of in the Celestial faction thread whose skin exudes a noticable radiance. They are not related to the Elven Sylphs (at least, I don't intend them to be, but they could in theory, I suppose).
Jester

Post by Jester »

Secrets... I like them... :)
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

JW wrote: 1) The Celestials. Though there may be some cutscenes of the Exile and his forces.
You could always have a one-shot mission in the middle where you control the Exile, play him up as a sympathetic character, let the player get to know him, etc. I always thought that the weakest part of HttT is that you never see Asheviere until the end, a quick cutscene where she sends Li'Sar after Konrad would have been awesome.
JW

Post by JW »

BlackOpsElf wrote:
JW wrote: 1) The Celestials. Though there may be some cutscenes of the Exile and his forces.
You could always have a one-shot mission in the middle where you control the Exile, play him up as a sympathetic character, let the player get to know him, etc. I always thought that the weakest part of HttT is that you never see Asheviere until the end, a quick cutscene where she sends Li'Sar after Konrad would have been awesome.
I had thought about that. I wasn't sure how to go about doing it though, but I do think it's a good idea.
JW

Post by JW »

Yowza yowza...I didn't realize it took me so long to actually get to coding this thing.....

Well, I've got the first scenario coded and working now, so it's just a matter of time. I'd upload it but it's really, really preliminary. It is a start though.

-just a note to spark anticipation in the hearts of those eagerly awaiting the first campaign based on the EOM. :wink:
Jester

Post by Jester »

Yay :D
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
JW

Post by JW »

Jester wrote:Yay :D
I problem I'm running into is the lack of an original sprite for the Zealot. It's becoming a little frustrating.

ps, the first scenario is dialogue, like IoA. :wink:
Jester

Post by Jester »

JW wrote:
Jester wrote:Yay :D
I problem I'm running into is the lack of an original sprite for the Zealot. It's becoming a little frustrating.

ps, the first scenario is dialogue, like IoA. :wink:
Doesn't matter, I'll 'Yay' anyways :D ...