Any interest in a Middle-Earth map?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you like a Middle-Earth Multiplayer Map?

Yes
63%
No
16%
Don't care at all.
22%

Total votes: 32

AT

Any interest in a Middle-Earth map?

Post by AT »

I started to make a Middle-Earth Mulitplayer Map (for very large one on one or medium two on two) when the map editior crashed. I was wondering, should I take the effort to start over? Would anyone be interested in fighting multiplayer in middle earth?
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
miyo

Post by miyo »

Is map of middle-earth copyrighted stuff? If yes, do you have permission from copyright holders?

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote:Is map of middle-earth copyrighted stuff? If yes, do you have permission from copyright holders?
People make Middle Earth maps for other games, e.g. Civilization III, all the time. We probably wouldn't ship it with the official distribution, but I think it'd be okay as an unofficial thing.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
miyo

Post by miyo »

Middle-Earth map does not ship with FreeCiv. What people do unofficially is not our concern.

- Miyo
AT

copyrights

Post by AT »

Oh, copyrights. Good point. Yet the Tolkien franchise has always allowed fan-made stuff, so i think that should be fine. Anyhow, it'll be un-officall.
brakett

Post by brakett »

Is there an archive for unofficial maps?

I seems to me that the more maps (official or unofficial) the better...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

no, there is a wiki page for user maps, and a couple of maps were posted on the forum (search with the "challange" and "easter" keywords ) if you want to link them to the wiki page, that would be a good idea...

as usual with wiki anybody is allowed to add alink to it's own map from the wiki, and by hosting them in the forum, you can make sure they won't disapear...
AT

almost

Post by AT »

Almost ready to release the first version (beta) but now im distracted by .77:-)
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."