Faction for EOM: Aberrations

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Faction for EOM: Aberrations

Post by JW »

Background for Aberrations:
JW wrote:Celestials who grow their wings are known as Winged Ones, and are treated with a higher level of respect for their fitness and majesty. With this respect comes a greater expectation however, and although most thrive on this, some do not....

Not all Celestials fit into this society so well. Some who lose their wings become so maddened that they reject their society and turn to it's opposite. Some warriors who have horrific experiences on the battlefield cannot return to their former beliefs and either join forces with those with a darker view, or simply wander off. Then there are the Winged-Ones who feel pressured to live up to the expectations of their society...these Celestials can and have reacted in terrible ways against this pressure. Some have gone mad, torn their eyes out to escape seeing the light and turn to the arts of darkness. Some turn their resentment of their fellow Celestials' expectations into rage and become berserkers attacking everything that reminds them of this pressure. These outcast Celestials often find allies in a race of blue-skinned creatures who practice the arts of darkness to create and summon horrific Aberrations to do their bidding. It is among these creatures they find a second home....

More on the blue-skinned creatures:

These creatures are born blind and so stick to living in swamps and underground. They have developed an ability, like bats, to create sonic waves to "see" their surroundings. They stand about 5-feet tall, but their hunched stance puts them at a solid 4-feet. Their 4 fingers end in solid, ground-tearing claws.

These creatures, lacking sight, hunger to gain power and "vision" in other areas. Experimenting and magic and alchemical endeavours, these creatures summon and creatures creates to do their bidding in their quest for even greater power. Some of these creatures actually have been born with sight and simply feign blindness in order to avoid the jealousy of their bretheren. Those who are caught are forced to rip their eyes out to level the playing field. It is rumored that these "Eyeless" ones become endowed with even greater powers than sight....
---

I just had a great idea for a new faction for the Era of Myths: Aberrations.

This factions will consist of all sorts of abominations of any/all alignments. This will create incredibly dynamic play as alignment and damage types as well as unit builds will be highly variable within the same faction.

Q: How will all of these creatures fight together and why?

A: There will only be 1 (maybe 2) selectable leaders for this faction that will be unrecruitable magician type units that control the army. This will lend some stability to the unpredictable nature of the faction, as well as lend coherence to how all of the units are united.

I don't have any specific ideas on units yet, but I think the concept is great and will allow all sorts of craziness that I love. The hardest part after making the concepts and art will be the balancing. That will all come down much further down the line, but I'm posting this in case anyone wants to help contribute.

With this faction the EOM will now have 5 factions including the Shifters, Werewolves, Vampires, Undead, and now Aberrations. This would make quite a complete era IMO, so now all that is left is finishing all of these factions for play. ^^
Last edited by JW on June 18th, 2006, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Abominations as in:

a. Ugly mutations of "real beasts".
b. Magically created creatures of gross/weird appereance, maybe even chymeric creations.
c. Monsters, plain and simple, like tusked onis, hulking savages with weird features, maybe cunning, maybe not.
d. Horrors, that are as hideous/bizarre as they look, and most commonly come from maddened minds or an unknown source considered harmful.

Choose some letters and let me brainstorm. Information on the objectives or skills of the magicians would be much appreciated.

EDIT: In that case Transmutation and Enchantment should be the base skills, since Conjuration of horrors or energies that affect living beings is plenty of a more dangerous matter. With this in mind, basic scouts and warriors would be chymeras or magical beasts. What is the focus mostly, melee, versatily, resilience, abilities?.
Last edited by Cuyo Quiz on May 28th, 2006, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
JW

Post by JW »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Abominations as in:

a. Ugly mutations of "real beasts".
b. Magically created creatures of gross/weird appereance, maybe even chymeric creations.
c. Monsters, plain and simple, like tusked onis, hulking savages with weird features, maybe cunning, maybe not.
d. Horrors, that are as hideous/bizarre as they look, and most commonly come from maddened minds or an unknown source considered harmful.

Choose some letters and let me brainstorm. Information on the objectives or skills of the magicians would be much appreciated.
I was thinking either B or D - probably both. The magicians powers would consist of (in DnD terms) a mix of Conjuration, Enchantment, and Transmutation. This is how they create/summon the horrible creatures they control.

I have an idea for 1 or 2 of the "recruits," but I'm anxious to see what you come up with. :)
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I like option D the best. Hideous horrors and monsters are missing from Wesnoth. The only setback to this is your limited to how graphic you want these aberations to be.
kiet

Post by kiet »

Sounds like the way the undead are,but there is a thing that seperate these two.
These are living creatures and undead aren´t,really something different.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

IMO Wesnoth undead aren't very "abomination-ish". They are more dark-magic-like. I would like to see aberations that seem like demons out of hell/products of a warped mind.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Will there be any Lovecraftian stuff? :D
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I just noticed this can go two ways:

a. We get Magicians making up chymeric servants and calling high -albeit violent- spirits, with the purpose of "purifying" the land for their own fanatical utopia. Getting bizarre purifying spirits/avatars may be hard though. I would love to see a war spirit sharing the love or an avatar that kicks arse and heals at the same time.

b. Get on with the funk of a cult of madmen invoking all sorts of "crap", subjugating everyone to their bidding or their secret lord. I call the giant driller-leeches, hoofed bipedals, acid amoebas and parasite'd men that fell under them.

So...want a reason to finally have a righfully holy faction in the Era, or should we try to trumph the Chaos faction in a totally trhiller-esque way?.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Cuyo, you forgot about the third way...

C. A council of dark mages learn how to conjur creatures out of their minds and team up with alchemists and such who then go mad from the magic and start forming hideous mutants and warped, twisted creatures with no other reason for existence other than to kill. We'll be seeing slime monsters, twisted humans, and things that really look like something out of a madmans mind. You could even take this a step further and make multiple unit pics for the abominations so that they all look different, or you could even make a randomized recruit that will be one of say five different mutants.
JW

Post by JW »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:I just noticed this can go two ways:

a. We get Magicians making up chymeric servants and calling high -albeit violent- spirits, with the purpose of "purifying" the land for their own fanatical utopia. Getting bizarre purifying spirits/avatars may be hard though. I would love to see a war spirit sharing the love or an avatar that kicks arse and heals at the same time.

b. Get on with the funk of a cult of madmen invoking all sorts of "crap", subjugating everyone to their bidding or their secret lord. I call the giant driller-leeches, hoofed bipedals, acid amoebas and parasite'd men that fell under them.

So...want a reason to finally have a righfully holy faction in the Era, or should we try to trumph the Chaos faction in a totally trhiller-esque way?.
I'm leaning more towards B as I want a Celestial faction to fill the void of Lawful/Holy the era needs. Also, if you already have 4 units ( :D ) in your head, I'm leaning even more in that direction. :wink:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Acidic Amoeba - 17 gold
level 1
48 HP
4 moves
neutral
vs Pierce: 60%
vs Blade: 40%
vs Impact: 20%
vs Cold: 0%
vs Electric: -20%
vs Fire: -40%
vs Mental: 100% (no mind!)
vs Shadow: 0%
vs Holy: 0%
normal sort of low defenses - 30% on grassland
7-2 slap
melee--Fire(?)
poison
has twice as many swings on defense

Rabid Horse -- 19 gold
level 1
32 HP
9 moves
chaotic
mounted movetype
4-5 kick
melee--Impact
charge
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Actually if it has no mind, it should be weak to mental.
hey.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

If it has no mind, then to what is the damage being done? :?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jester

Post by Jester »

I'm voting D. The way the EOM is going I think horror would fit best.

Thins like maybe some sort of mutilated-transformed human, Nightmares, Poltergeist etc.

For the Holy/Celestial faction, I actually had some ideas for that. But since I'm busy with two other factions I don't think I can hadle another one. I'll brainstorm though.
Archangels, Cherubs, Seraph, Avians... etc?
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I want them to be called (the magicians) the Eyeless. In their quest for power, which made them learn magic, they willingly took out their eyes to see beyond reality, but the visions they suffered twisted them and their arts.

The Eyeless transmute the world into a plague, and with the secrets their visions gave them, they call forth unnatural entities that spread the madness which they have taken as the source of their power. There are only two ways to remain alive: slavery or unconditional loyalty. Those who accept the second path are parasite'd with a simbiotic creature that ultimately will transform the host, while the horrors keep the slaves in constant fear (think the Spartan police, killing Ilots every now and then).

The day the Eyeless can bring the horrors in their mind to be the real world, it is suspected that they will be safistied.

Well, at the very least seems the Acid Amoeba is in, as a resourceful defender. This is all starting chatter, to get things rolling:

The driller-leech (two heads of course), should be sorta low-HP, cheap, good defenses, and with a (backstab) piercing attack. You know, they crawl on the land waiting to jump on your back and make holes.

The parasited should look pale and skinny, maybe have something protuding out from the back of their heads as the simbiot. I've yet to decide if i can fit hoofed-somethings in, don't want to thread too much into the Chaos faction.
I have an idea for 1 or 2 of the "recruits," but I'm anxious to see what you come up with. :)
So JW, what were your recruit ideas?. Also, we still need a scout-of-sorts and some ranged support i think, just as some entities out of this world.