Wose Traits

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
joshudson

Wose Traits

Post by joshudson »

Import tangent from traits discussion at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/posting.ph ... e&p=147876
Dave wrote:
There was some talk that Woses should get entirely their own traits system based on what type of tree they are. They'd probably just get one trait, and it'd be like "Oak", "Willow", etc. They could have traits that could make them stronger, make them move faster in certain terrain, and traits that give them better resistance to certain types of attacks.

I'm still in favor of this system if anyone wanted to implement it. :)

David
OK, Now I'm interested. I can even use my Wose Story campaign as a testbed.
(I need to update it anyway since the storyline was lacking at one point).

Is there still interest in this?
JW

Post by JW »

Your link goes to a quotebox. Other than that, it sounds kinda interesting, though I have no idea what the traits would actually do. Come up with an example or two and everyone will be able to visualize what you mean better.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Neither do I. I just want to know whether or not this is completely unwanted before I start.

Corrected link is:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=75
Garion

Post by Garion »

I know messing around with the stuff that's defined in a movement_type is usually not seen as a good approach for a trait, but I think it makes sense for some Woses. A willow, for instance, gets improved movement in water, while an oak gets a 10% bonus to his blade resist and a redwood gets extra hitpoints.

It would also be way sweet if there were eventually graphical variations that go along with this.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Garion wrote:I know messing around with the stuff that's defined in a movement_type is usually not seen as a good approach for a trait, but I think it makes sense for some Woses. A willow, for instance, gets improved movement in water, while an oak gets a 10% bonus to his blade resist and a redwood gets extra hitpoints.
I think you are just about on what I was thinking about (more or less).

First attempt:

Oak: +10% blade resist
Pine: +10% pierce & cold resist
Willow: swamp and water costs 1mp, -10% fire resist
Cottonwood: -10% impact resist, +2 on regenerate
Redwood: +5% HP, -10% fire resist
Sequoia: +10% fire resist

Cottonwood is the most likely to be unbalanced.
I want to make Bristlecone: +5% HP, cannot be drained; but the game engine doesn't support it.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

As far as I can tell, game engine doesn't support modifying resistances or movement costs from an effect either. Aargg.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

joshudson wrote:As far as I can tell, game engine doesn't support modifying resistances or movement costs from an effect either. Aargg.
Right. But it'd be good if it did. So we need someone to submit a patch to allow this feature. :)

And, thank you for taking this idea and going with it, by the way. I'm completely in favor of it.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

sequia: +60 cm :-P

If you link to quote box, its easy to repair it:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/posting.ph ... uote&p=xxx

1. you change script to viewtopic.php
2. viewtopic supports post id as argument, so you justremove mode-quote
3. You get... :

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=xxx

And it works. Hard? I dont think so...
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Silence of Echo

Post by Silence of Echo »

Perhaps instead of creating different trait types, maybe you should create an entire new race.

This could include different types of Woses with different abilities.
Also, you could include dark Wose. They are a unique concept.
yeeha

Post by yeeha »

joshudson wrote:
Garion wrote:I know messing around with the stuff that's defined in a movement_type is usually not seen as a good approach for a trait, but I think it makes sense for some Woses. A willow, for instance, gets improved movement in water, while an oak gets a 10% bonus to his blade resist and a redwood gets extra hitpoints.
I think you are just about on what I was thinking about (more or less).

First attempt:

Oak: +10% blade resist
Pine: +10% pierce & cold resist
Willow: swamp and water costs 1mp, -10% fire resist
Cottonwood: -10% impact resist, +2 on regenerate
Redwood: +5% HP, -10% fire resist
Sequoia: +10% fire resist

Cottonwood is the most likely to be unbalanced.
I want to make Bristlecone: +5% HP, cannot be drained; but the game engine doesn't support it.
10% to blade? Hmm more undead owning... I think then undeads should get traits too unleast. Same for cold, they are hard enough :D.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Two more that should be done if somebody wants to think up stats:
Maple
Elm

For the record, I strongly recommend only doing shade trees, not fruit trees.
maliciouskorean

Post by maliciouskorean »

why not fruit trees? apple trees could gain a weak ranged attack where they throw apples...or they could be given heal because units nearby eat the fruit and feel better :D
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

lol

Don't you think heal is a bit strong for a trait though?
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Could be "refresh". Heals up to 1 HP each unit adjacent, up to 2 units can heal one turn.

And we should add year parts like Winter. Apples shouldnt work on winter and spring, and should work worse at summer.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

You have a lot of good ideas, but try to make 5-6 traits, I think more than six would be a bit too much
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.