UTBS sprite - Kaleh

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pickslide
Art Contributor

UTBS sprite - Kaleh

Post by Pickslide »

A small and quiet forum. Very nice :)

So as a change of pace, I'm trying a little spriting. I figured UTBS would be a good place to start, so here is my Kaleh stand, lead & defend.

I remember hearing that animations were alowed to break the hex boundary...but is the sword sticking out of the top of the 72x72 box allowed?

If anyone sees any spriting blunders let me know.

P.S. If someone could point me toward the specs for sprite art (leadership glint and swoosh opacity etc, I found the shadow tut already) I'd really appreciate it.
Attachments
Kaleh.png
Kaleh.png (8.61 KiB) Viewed 6501 times
Check out my portraits HERE!
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I'll go with "Nice work!" on this. Very cool sprite. Your art is some of the best on this game. Thanks for your work!

--Timothy
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: UTBS sprite - Kaleh

Post by Eleazar »

Pickslide wrote:A small and quiet forum. Very nice :)
....I remember hearing that animations were alowed to break the hex boundary...but is the sword sticking out of the top of the 72x72 box allowed?

If anyone sees any spriting blunders let me know.

P.S. If someone could point me toward the specs for sprite art (leadership glint and swoosh opacity etc, I found the shadow tut already) I'd really appreciate it.
Kaleh is looking good. :)

we don't really have specs for leadership and swoosh, use your own judgement. Personally i prefer swooshes that grow more transparent further away from the blade, but few game graphics are like that.

Theoretically* only the base frame needs to stay within the hex. If you need to increase the image beyond 72x72 pix make sure you do it evenly on all sides.

* there's not been much use of this yet.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Very nice, but see the signature. FCB! animations are allowed to break the hex boundary and even the 72x72 boundary. On the other-hand, if you shortened him so that he would only be a tall elf and not a giant with elf like features, he might fit in the 72x72 square. Remember, Creeping Biggerism happens one pixel at a time, or in this case, two If I use the elvish champion for comparison. I attach a proposed shorter revision surrounding your original and the elvish champion.

as a side benefit (the principle benefit being avoiding biggerism), if you apply this two pixel shrinking to the first attack frame, you come very close to fitting in the 72x72 boundary. If you shift his feet a little to make him look like he is moving, you could even slide the whole attack image down a couple pixels and voila!
Attachments
compare.png
compare.png (4.64 KiB) Viewed 6433 times
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Hmm thoses are very nicely done sprites.
You can find some help about sprite art here on the Wiki : http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Create_Art#Sprite_Art
The first link should be useful for the general guidelines.

About animations, the standing frame must be contained in the hex, while most of the other animation frames can extend to the 6 neighbour hexes (Boucman can answer more precisely).

About leadership i haven't found a guideline about this, but usually units raise their sword/axe and the blade appear more shiny more than usual.

However while your unit is very nicely done it seems a little large. Maybe you should put some sprite of other unit next to your sprites to ckeack if the size is ok or if you actually made a giant. Btw the Elvish fighter is quite large too, so if your unit is on the same scale, it is probably OK.
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

Thanks for the compliments :)

Well, I based his size off the level 3 Konrad, which is pretty big. No prob, I shrunk him by 2 or 3, so I think he's the same size as an elvish fighter now.

Keeping in mind, he is a unique for a campaign too, and this sprite is for every advancement level so I may have aimed a little big. I guess now I can just easily make him a pixel taller when he gets to level 3.

anyway, full animations and shadows and stuff.
Attachments
Kaleh.png
Kaleh.png (19.54 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Pickslide wrote: Keeping in mind, he is a unique for a campaign too, and this sprite is for every advancement level so I may have aimed a little big. I guess now I can just easily make him a pixel taller when he gets to level 3.
please, if you want to make him grow as he levels up, make the level 1 shorter, not the level 3 taller. He is even in the reduced state a very tall elf.

edit: the draw on his bow looks a little wimpy. i would bring his hand back a little farther and up as well as accentuate the bend in the bow more.
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

Gonads. He is still really tall, almost troll sized. I guess I'll have to see what I can do :P.
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

Full set of Kaleh and Nym just to give this thread finality :). Cleaned up some of Kalehs attack anims and such. I'll send the sprites out to quartex as soon as I get around to it.

Both are pretty standard sizes I think, thanks Thrawn for pointing out some spots to shorten Kaleh.
Attachments
UTBS.png
UTBS.png (37.31 KiB) Viewed 6197 times